Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk application stopped working on iPhone and iPad, HELP

larryis1
Star

Nighthawk application stopped working on iPhone and iPad, HELP

I have been using the latest version of The nighthawk application on my iPhone and iPad, iOS 14.3. Recently the application no longer retains my password and when I can get the application to try to connect to the router in response the applicates advises that I am not on Wi-Fi or did it not detect the router. The devices are clearly on Wi-Fi through the Router and the router is clearly operational. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated thank you

Larry

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 38

@larryis1 wrote:

I have been using the latest version of The nighthawk application on my iPhone and iPad, iOS 14.3. Recently the application no longer retains my password ..

Which password? Wifi? Router? Anywhere Access?

What are you trying to do?

There have been recent issues with the Nighthawk App and iOS. Maybe Netgear is trying to keep up with Apple's never ending attempts to make life interesting for users.

Message 2 of 38
larryis1
Star

trying to use application in the manner it was intended.  Access connected device list and run speed test at router input from modem.  I know i can also domthis from router URL on browser.  

Message 3 of 38

@larryis1 wrote:

trying to use application in the manner it was intended.

I know of two "intended" ways.

Wifi connected and into the router. Or Anywhere Access and into the router.

They are different.

Message 4 of 38
larryis1
Star

My router is connected to my Cox panoramic Wi-Fi modem, my computers are connected to the router through ethernet all other devices use the router as Wi-Fi signal. I am not using anywhere access this is strictly occurring while at home on the local area network, no remote access is being attempted. Problem is I can't even log on to the router through the Wi-Fi network using a night Hawk. I can't get to the router directly through a browser URL connection without any problem. 

Message 5 of 38

@larryis1 wrote:

My router is connected to my Cox panoramic Wi-Fi modem.... 

That's a big alarm signal.

A wifi modem is almost certainly a router. (It has to be to manage the wifi bit.) This means that you may well have two routers in a row. That's a bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This arrangement could well explain what you see. Your apps expect to be able to get into the Netgear device using the usual address conversion. You have complicated the issue by using two routers that can mess up those addresses.

Tell people the exact details of that "Cox panoramic Wi-Fi modem" and you might get more detailed, and informed, advice and possible solutions.

If this is what you have:

Cox Panoramic WiFi Gateway Router | Cox Communications

then you need to fix the Double NAT issue before your apps can do their stuff. The first option would be to put the Cox thing into "bridge" (modem only) mode or to put the R7900P into wireless access point mode.

Message 6 of 38
larryis1
Star

My Cox panoramic MODEM is in BRIDGE mode, it is NOT using the router feature at all. The router feature of the modem is DISABLED. The NETGEAR router is connected directly to the modem,  the NETGEAR router performs ALL  distribution functions for direct ethernet connections as well as Wi-Fi signal distribution.  

Message 7 of 38
Tucson_Jim
Star

Same problem latest version of app on IOS is unable to communicate with the router. Fails to get device list, router specifics, even unable to reboot router. Router is functional however as we have been using for several days. Seems latest app is flawed. Even signing it,the app does not remember me.

Message 8 of 38
larryis1
Star

@Tucson_Jim wrote:

Same problem latest version of app on IOS is unable to communicate with the router. Fails to get device list, router specifics, even unable to reboot router. Router is functional however as we have been using for several days. Seems latest app is flawed. Even signing it,the app does not remember me.

It is sad that Netgear keeps on putting out applications that are defective and causing their users to have to install uninstall reinstall and continue to try where the application has zero chance of working. Netgear should test its applications thoroughly before releasing. I personally have wasted way too much time trying to use this poorly designed and ineffective application. 

Message 9 of 38

@larryis1 wrote:

It is sad that Netgear keeps on putting out applications that are defective ....

In this case, Netgear did not put out a defective application. Apple made changes that broke the thing.

Netgear's crime is not having a clear enough crystal ball to know what Apple would do and not responding quickly enough. But that too may be down to Apple, which is famous for giving other brands a hard time.

Message 10 of 38
Tucson_Jim
Star

OK, I can agree with the Apple comment. However it is unsettling when these situations occur,especially immediately (in my case) following a firmware update. It would be beneficial to the community if some notice of this situation was made as we are now so dependent on these devices. My immediate thought was that my router was no longer functioning as it should and I startled thinking of alternatives (and other devices to replace it), especially when rebooting the router failed to clear this up.

Message 11 of 38
larryis1
Star

I agree with your comment fully. The lack of response from Netgear to discuss and or resolve this software issue leaves its users believing that the cause maybe their hardware or their smart devices. This causes a tremendous immeasurable waste of user time. Netgear needs to step up and needs to communicate way more effectively than it has. This problem still remains unresolved to this date.
Message 12 of 38

I'm also having the same issue, I get to where it asks for admin password and just "spins" and does nothing.

Message 13 of 38

I can confirm its not an iOS 14 problem. I also installed on an iPhone with 12.1.5 and get the same errors I get in iOS 14, I thinks its a Netgear firmware issue

Message 14 of 38
Tucson_Jim
Star

Interesting since we just had a firmware update. Wish the netgear folks would chime in and help us out here. I have invested a lot in netgear HW, modems & routers, would hate to lose faith now.

Message 15 of 38
larryis1
Star

I thought that was the case, as Nighthawk worked just fine before the last firmware update.  

Message 16 of 38
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk App users, 

For us to to look into this further, may you provide the following info:

Router Model:

Router Firmware Version:

Nighthawk App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android)

Local Network Access enabled: Yes/No (iOS only)

Rebooted Router: Yes/No

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 17 of 38
Tucson_Jim
Star

Router Model: X6 R7900P

Router Firmware Version: cannot access, but latest from several days ago

Nighthawk App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android) IOS 2.7.6.3

Local Network Access enabled: Yes/No (iOS only) yes

Rebooted Router: Yes/No  YES 

Message 18 of 38

Router Model:

R7900P

Frimware:

V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

App Version:

iOS 2.8.0

Local Network:

Yes

Rebot Router:

Yes several times

Spoiler

Message 19 of 38
larryis1
Star

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Nighthawk App users, 

For us to to look into this further, may you provide the following info:

Router Model:  R7960P

Router Firmware Version:  1.4.1.68_1.3.28

Nighthawk App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android):  iOS version 2.8.0.15

Local Network Access enabled: Yes/No (iOS only):  YES

Rebooted Router: Yes/No:  YES

Thank you Christian for your engagement.  The data requested has been provided, see fill ins above.  Please advise.

Thanks, Larry

Message 20 of 38
larryis1
Star

Christian, 

The requested data has been provided within this thread.  What is needed is a sustained solution as this Nighthawk app disconnect happens periodically with router firmware changes.  The app fix and/or firmware updates need to be sustained so it is not susceptible to firmware changes, otherwise Netgear Nighthawk customer/users are destined to repeat this problem over and over again.  Please confer with your firmware development team so that their update efforts fully take into consideration sustained/uninterrupted connectivity with Nighthawk each time the firmware is updated and/or the app is updated.  Otherwise the user community experience will continue to be undesirable with Nighthawk.  Users should not be expected to restart routers everytime the Nighthawk app is unpdated. The connectivity between the app and the router over the LAN should be seamless and uninterrupted when changes occur.

Thanks you for your engagement and consideration.

Best regards,

Larry

Message 21 of 38
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tucson_Jim, frechcamp49er, & larryis1, 

Thank you for getting back with the requested information. Our engineering teams are aware of the reports and currently investigating. I'll provide an update to the thread as soon as I can. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 22 of 38
Tucson_Jim
Star

OK, thanks Christian , please remember that we are unable to communicate with our router with IOS, not even able to sign in as Admin, so any solution needs to take this into account. Not sure if you can "push" a solution through or maybe a memory stick update will work. If we need to reset to factory settings, this is difficult & stressful, so providing very detailed instructions is essential. BTW, neither the Genie nor Nighthawk apps work. Since my daughter has come here and is working from home, I have been reluctant to do anything to interfere with the router. On the weekend, I can try to communicate with it via my MACBook.

thanks

Jim

Message 23 of 38

@Tucson_Jim wrote:

OK, thanks Christian , please remember that we are unable to communicate with our router with IOS, not even able to sign in as Admin, so any solution needs to take this into account.

There is one way into a device from Android apps that should work with iOS. Forget the app, think of the phone as a PC.

Connect to the wifi. Aim a browser at the URL for the router and then fill in the usual username and password.

You may have to kick aside any security warnings from whatever browser you are on. (I just hit that in Chrome on an Android.) Apple may have disabled that sort of thing, which would rule out this wheeze, but there is no hard in trying.

It will probably look like a mess, but it might allow you to get at crucial controls.

Message 24 of 38

New update still does not work
Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 23 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7