Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No longer recommending Netgear Products

dwh367
Aspirant

No longer recommending Netgear Products

Sorry Netgear.  You've crippled the functionality of my phone by no longer allowing me, or the other adults in the family, to log into the bypass accounts on OpenDNS.  This means I've bought the last piece of Netgear equipment that I will ever own. Also, as someone who does computer repair as a sideline, I will no longer recommend Netgear products to my clients.  You sold us out in order to make kickbacks from Disney Circle, and from other threads I've read, I'm not the only one who will cease to do business with you.  That's what happens when you get greedy.  I hope it comes back to bite you in the a**.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

It does seem strange to replace an app with one that removes valuable features.

Until you do the deed and dump your R6400, you could try using a browser on your phone to login to opendns and manage parental controls from there.

NETGEAR Live Parental Controls - Your Account - Content Filtering

Message 2 of 6
dwh367
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion, but since us adults can't bypass the parental controls on our Android devices anymore, my only course of action would be to turn off the parental controls completely and that's not an option for us.  I'm not giving them the pleasure of subscribing to Disney Circle when there's a free option available that works perfectly well for us.  They're just preying on people who aren't tech savy is all it amounts to.  If they continued to support OpenDNS as well then I might change my tune. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6

@dwh367 wrote:

...since us adults can't bypass the parental controls on our Android devices anymore

You can if you set it up with a browser on your Android device. Just create a  bypass account. I admit that it isn't as straightforward as the app, and some people might not be able to hack it, but it is possible.

The annoying thing is that at the beginning of the year Netgear put out a terribly made video that suggested that the new app would add to the features of the old one, not take them away.

Had Netgear any sense it would have waiting until all those features were working before pulling the plug on the old app.

Message 4 of 6
dwh367
Aspirant

I'm pretty good at this stuff but I don't see a way to do that without using the Genie app.  I looked everywhere on my OpenDNS settings page and don't see an option to use a bypass account.

Message 5 of 6

I assume that you have an account set up to manage parental controls. If so, play around on the web page on a PC. After all, that is what you need to emulate on an Android.

If I start here:

NETGEAR Live Parental Controls - Your Account - Content Filtering

I can see this.

Parental controls.PNG

There is an "Add a bypass account" link at the top.

I confess that I do not use Parental Controls. (I have them activated for experimental purposes.) So I am not hugely familiar with their operation.

This might be useful too:

OpenDNS Community - Netgear Live Parental Controls – OpenDNS

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7