Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Controls are broken - Nighthawk App

Madparent
Follower

Parental Controls are broken - Nighthawk App

I wanted to enable to the parental controls. I logged into my router online, and clicking on the parental controls launches a webpage that plays a video of how to enable the controls. It says to download the windows version of the Genie app - it doesn't exist anywhere on the Netgear website, only the iOS and Android versions. I launched the Netgear Genie app from my Android phone, which informed me my Nighthawk router was no lo longer supported by the Genie app, I needed to install the Nighthawk app. So I install the Nighthawk app only to find it has no Parental Controls - none. They're just not there. So I upgrade the firmware for my router, and the online login still brings me to the webpage with the installation video. And of course my router is out of waranty, so no tech support for me.

A quick search online tells me  this has been a problem for a while, with no resolution. I am about to buy a new non-Netgear router unless someone can suggest a solution.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Parental Controls are broken - Nighthawk App

@Madparent wrote:

It says to download the windows version of the Genie app - it doesn't exist anywhere on the Netgear website ....

The desktop genie is certainly hard to find, Netgear seems to want it dead, along with free parental controls.

Actually, the R6700 listed in your footer is one of the handful of devices where you can easily get the download. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

That page will have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist. I see the Windows and Mac genies listed there.

The download is also stashed away in the more general support area. The latest sighting was here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Get it while you can.

@Madparent wrote:

A quick search online tells me  this has been a problem for a while, with no resolution. I am about to buy a new non-Netgear router unless someone can suggest a solution.

I don't know where you looked with your "quick search online", but you clearly failed to discover the most obvious source of the file. The more obscure repository is certainly well buried..

On alternatives to Netgear, are there any that offer free parental controls? Or are they all gong down the same subscription router?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7