Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Parental Controls

ShaneZampire
Follower

Parental Controls

I read reviews about how great Netgear was on parental control ease. Amazon recommended it to me for the mobile parental controls. Online, there is people using the Genie mobile app to control parental controls. I went on the Apple app store and the first thing I see is a screen shot of the phone app with a big parental control button. I even seen a few marketing videos from Netgear showing the parental controls. 

So I just ordered me, my brother, and a co-worker one after we discussed the need and ease of these options. So I get them delivered today. I unpackage mine and set it up. The Genie app wont even work so I can't even try out the mobile parental controls on it. Nighthawk dont even have the Parental Control button and half the features are missing I seen advertised. All I can do is pause a connection. 

So I appears if I want to set a time, remove or add 15 minutes of time here or there for a connection, I have to drag out the laptop, power it on, log into desktop Genie and tweek settings. 

Before I box back up $600 and some odd dollars of routers and send them back, am I missing something here?

I spent about 4 hours reading and looking over stuff so I dont think I missed anything but I may have. Out of all the advertised options, are we just limited to the Nighthawk app with very few options on it to control the router? 

I even tried to Circle app but it will not go no futher than the screen that asks for money. No idea where this FREE basic plan is. I am not paying $120 a year just to pause connections and set schedules. $120 a year adds up. I can just buy another router with these options every year for that. 

Thanks  Shane

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Parental Controls

@ShaneZampire wrote:

I read reviews about how great Netgear was on parental control ease. Amazon recommended it to me for the mobile parental controls. Online, there is people using the Genie mobile app to control parental controls.

The reviewers probably wrote those before Netgear "upgraded" the firmware on the R7800 and moved us all over to the Nighthawk app, killing the Netgear App and some of the things it supported.

This seems to have been a brazen attempt to persuade people to use Circle rather than Parental Controls. Circle costs money while Parental Controls are free.

You can still use Parental Controls via OpenDNS but you cant do it with the app. You have to use the browser interface.

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

You can even get at that in a mobile phine, but it is a more complicated process.

Circle may be more powerful, and give you even more control, but the bad news is that the R7800 does not support it. Nor is there any indication that Netgear will add that feature.

Which NETGEAR routers support Circle Smart Parental Controls? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7