Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pissed about the Nighthawk app

batesman
Follower

Pissed about the Nighthawk app

I own an R8000P which is "supported" by the new Nighthawk app. Problem is, the new app doesn't DO anything. I was forced to update to it on my phone (when I logged into genie to pause the internet on a device and adjust parental controls). Then, after the forced update, I can't do what I wanted to do using the app!

The best part is that my support grace period is over and while I need support, it's about the app and not the router...But I can't get it. Is anyone complaining directly to their corp office besides me?

Message 1 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Pissed about the Nighthawk app

Hi @batesman, welcome to the community! You can continue to adjust the LPC (Live Parental Control) settings via the Genie app for desktop (PC or Mac). You can download it here.

Dexter

Message 2 of 6
Cdh321
Aspirant

Yes I just purchased a new AC3200 if I knew that direct Parental Controls was removed, and replaced by a service called Circle at £45/year. I would not have purchased it, in fact I still thinking about boxing it up sending it back, even my old router at £29 had parent controls for free.

1 star router will be going on web site.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 6

@Cdh321 wrote:

Yes I just purchased a new AC3200 if I knew that direct Parental Controls was removed, and replaced by a service called Circle at £45/year.

Circle does not replace Parental Controls. Both still exist. What is broken is the use of a mobile app to manage Parental Controls. You can still do it with the browser interface. (Hint, you may be able to use a browser on mobile devices instead of an app.)

Maybe the app can manage Circle.

@Cdh321 wrote:

even my old router at £29 had parent controls for free.

So does your R8000. I presume that what you have is the R8000 in your footer. Or maybe the R8000P. (AC3200 is not a Netgear model number: it is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.)

There is support for the R8000, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See the section Set Up Parental Controls.

Message 4 of 6
TexasCJ
Aspirant

The note about managing your Nighthawk using Genie is simply not true.  I went to the Genie app and it politely, but firmly, redirected me to Disney Circle.

This is utter nonsense.  Why did I spend this much money on a new Netgear router that has LESS CAPABILITY than my older one?  I can't set a whitelist manually, I can't set a schedule for specific MAC's w/o Disney Circle (which wants MORE $$$).  For the life of me, I can't figure out why the router software even has advanced settings...

This will be my last Netgear device...I'm seriously considered taking a sledgehammer to this thing and mailing it back in pieces.  But it's not the hardware that's at fault.  It's the firmware and your clueless software engineers that are removing features that made the product so great some years ago.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6

@TexasCJ wrote:

The note about managing your Nighthawk using Genie is simply not true.  I went to the Genie app and it politely, but firmly, redirected me to Disney Circle.

Can you clarify this? Which "note" are we talking about here? Where does Disney Circle come into the picture? It is effectively a paid for version of parental controls.

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

In the case of the R8000P. the mobile genie app has given way to the Nighthawk app.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support  

But there is still the desktop genie.

Parental controls still work on older devices, if you have enabled them in the first place, you just need to find the way in.

@TexasCJ wrote:

I can't set a whitelist manually, I can't set a schedule for specific MAC's w/o Disney Circle (which wants MORE $$$).  For the life of me, I can't figure out why the router software even has advanced settings...

Without knowing where you are looking, it is hard to unravel what that is all about.

Tell us more and maybe someone can provide the key.

By the way, it isn't clear to me that your problem is the same as that from @batesman. You might do better to start your own discussion about your circumstances rather than hijacking someone else's query.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7