Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwading

milop
Aspirant

Port Forwading

Suggestion for the app: Add the ability to configure port forwarding.
Message 1 of 4

Re: Port Forwading

@milop wrote:
Suggestion for the app: Add the ability to configure port forwarding.

There's a place for suggestions:

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

In general apps are designed for simplicity and offer a limited choice of things to control. Port forwarding is probably far too complicated for most users.

The browser graphical user interface (GUI) is much more sophisticated.

Message 2 of 4
milop
Aspirant

I looked for a suggestion section and missed it. I’ll post this over there.

But I’ll first say that by removing “Remote Management” from the web GUI it’s harder to enable port forwarding if the person has authorized a single IP to administer port forwarding and that person is moving around to different locations. No longer can the IP be set to the new location before going there.

Thanks for your reply.
Message 3 of 4

@milop wrote:

But I’ll first say that by removing “Remote Management” from the web GUI it’s harder to enable port forwarding if the person has authorized a single IP to administer port forwarding and that person is moving around to different locations.

I think this was a security thing.

People drop in here from time to time and moan about things like Netgear's failure to demand https for local access. (Madness, I know.) That and other perceived, and sometimes real, security loopholes have led Netgear to remove various much loved features.

Then there are things like parental controls where Netgear's third party partner, OpenDNS, pulled the plug. In some cases, there are ways around the issue that you can use if you don't use Netgear as the go between.

NOTICE: Live Parental Control Service based on Ope... - NETGEAR Communities

There may also be subscription options that you can pay for.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7