Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Adapters

Pangear
Aspirant

Powerline Adapters

How many pairs of XAVB1601 adapers can be installed on one home electrical circuit, where each pair is point to point link ?

Why cannot be more downloaded power utility: netgear.com/app/products/model/a-ice/19339 ?

Model: XAVB1601v2|Powerline 200 Nano PassThru
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Pangear
Aspirant

Re: Powerline Adapters

Hello Schumaku,

You have been very inaccurately dealing with definitions about various layers. How encryption can be related to layer L2 ?

Data Presentation and Encryption is related always to layer L6.

Yes, I agree that all PL devices are connected to a shared media - copper electrical circuit (L0).

My intention is just to have 3 pairs of PL devices sitting on same shared media where each pair will have own unique encrypted

password. Perhaps, I will turn on as well as a support of QoS if I feel my applications will get a certain improvement with that.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies

@Pangear wrote:

How many pairs of XAVB1601 adapers can be installed on one home electrical circuit, where each pair is point to point link ?

Not sure that I understand the question. Point-to-point link?

The usual arrangement is to connect one (host) plug to the router and then add as many remote (guest) plugs as you need.

Some models seem to throw a hissy fit when you add a sixth guest plug.

The XAVB1601 is an ancient (2012) 200 Mbps system, now replaced by 500 then 1000 and finally (so far) 2000 Mbps plugs.

Message 2 of 10
Pangear
Aspirant

Thanks for response but you have not answered my question.

First of all let's clarify topology of connections or layout scheme. You mentioned "star" topology where a master PL device talks to a number

of remote PL devices. I am interested in 3 PL device pairs where each pair establishes topology: single poin-to-point link, however all 6 PL devices are on one electrical circuit. Will these XAVB1601 devices work without interefering between these three data links?

Regards

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

All PL share the same L0/L1 network, where L2 (MAC) and L3 (e.g. IP) is run on. There is neither a "master" not a point-to-point relation. Each PL does see any other PL device on the same electrical wire(s). The PL with the same name are able to communicate.

Message 4 of 10
Pangear
Aspirant

Well, let's simplify our discussion.

So, Netgear PL device supports  OSI seven layers system, where L0 - medium (copper), L1 - physical (bits), L2 - MAC (data link

addressing  frames), L3 - network packets IP addressing and L6 - data presentation and encryption.

Layers L2 and L3 and in addition LAN tags and ToS routing are implemented when QoS is activated through Power Utility app. To make in my application 3 pairs of PL to communicate in point-to-point fashion I need to setup for each pair of PL's the same encryption key (password ).

Regards 

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Mistaken I'm afraid - PL connects to the power network L0 does create above a plain flat L1/L2 system like a plain simple network hub - not a switch! The isolation between the different networks is done on an encryption scheme on the L2 layer. Almost anything above L3 and up can pass over it.

Even if you set it up in pairs of two with each pair having the same key, they are still using the same shared media (roughly L0 and L1) - it's not VLAN technology. The more concurrent PL system are on the same wires (and in the neighborhood) and using same PLC standard the slower the system. If different standard/proprietary implementations above, the performance will break down much more, because of the different implementations don't "listen" to each other.

Not sure what your intention is - substituting three individual network cables over a shared media?

Message 6 of 10

@schumaku wrote:

Not sure what your intention is - substituting three individual network cables over a shared media?

That's what puzzled me. Hence my first reponse.

Message 7 of 10
Pangear
Aspirant

Hello Schumaku,

You have been very inaccurately dealing with definitions about various layers. How encryption can be related to layer L2 ?

Yes, I agree that all PL devices are connected to a shared media - copper electrical circuit (L0).

My intention is just to have 3 pairs of PL devices sitting on same shared media where each pair will have own unique encrypted

password. Perhaps, I will turn on as well as a support of QoS if I feel my applications will get a certain improvement with that.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Pangear wrote:

Boahahahahahahahaha!!! 

Not everything does fit to academic definitions as what they teach you at school.

Since about 1987, we have deployed Ethernet MAC based encryption controllers in finance and government (read: defense) applications with Digital Equipment Corporation... Everything happened on the Data Link Layer ... that's L2 in the OSI model my friend. Google for Digital Ethernet Secured Network Controllers (DESNC) and VAX Key Distribution Center or read the 11th National Computer Security Conference: Proceedings, 17-20 October, 1988 , p.219 ff. 

Decades later, IEEE 802.1AE was introduced. Together with IEEE 802.1X this allows the negotiation and dynamic update of keys - as used for example on business class wireless access points where each user does authenticate against the AP and every user client session does run on a dedicated key pair. Even your home WiFi with it's dead simple and shabby PSK and your Powerline devices do L2 encryption.

Everywhere Ethernet data is flowing over potentially insecure connection (satellite, p2p wireless links, fiber, copper, ...) L2 encryption is still sate of the art - look around with Thales (SafeNet/Gemalto) or Crypto International. 10GbE on full wirespeed, without adding reasonable latency, or 100 GbE using a a multiplex of these encryptors.

Another popular example is e.g. LTE - thee are bunches of different encryption levels, some with key derivation - ways below the effective IP traffic - everything happens on L1 and L2.

Message 9 of 10
Pangear
Aspirant

Hi Schumaku,

Let me have the last  laughter in this discussion with you. I am a retired telecommunications engineer with almost 50 years

experience in various fields of telecommunications engineering. Yes, theres is a difference among academic science in electric/electronic

engineering and the practical engineering. A production engineer strives in short time to come up with a workable system/device but scientists ( in academia ) looks for a long term perfection.

You mentioned about encryption made in layer L2. I can bring up another example where an encryption is done in layer L1 for

DWDM OTN ( optical device ). The reasons for that is to decrease overhead bits in a frame ( as you know  each layer of theoretical seven layer OSI adds more overhead bits. In my opinion, this is the main reason when practical engineering neglects the theory in data communications. 

Good luck 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7