Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R-9000 Router not found by Nighthawk App

EEWdad
Aspirant

R-9000 Router not found by Nighthawk App

My Nighthawk R-9000 router appears to not be found by Nighthawk App (iOS). It does show my previous router (R-8000) and shows it as not in service - which is correct. I've tried switching Wi-Fi bands (2.4G / 5G) however, it implies I'm not connected to the same network as my router. 

I'm stumped! Help?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

@EEWdad wrote:

....however, it implies I'm not connected to the same network as my router. 

Can you explain what this means? I'm afraid that "implies" is not one of the prompts I have ever come across. What message causes you to say that?

Do you, by any chance, have a modem/router feeding the R9000?

Message 2 of 6
EEWdad
Aspirant

Apologies -- I'm not a router/networking expert so my approach is to not state things in absolute terms - because I really don't know for certain. What I'm saying is my interpretation of what the App is telling me is that my phone is not connected to the same Wi-Fi (whether 2.4G or 5G) as my router. I've tried connecting to both networks and get the same "router not found" message from the App. 

Yes, I do have an Xfinity modem in front of my R-9000 router. It is not in bridge mode and I have turned-off the Wi-Fi radios on that device to avoid interference with the radios in the R-9000. 

Message 3 of 6

@EEWdad wrote:

Yes, I do have an Xfinity modem in front of my R-9000 router. It is not in bridge mode and I have turned-off the Wi-Fi radios on that device to avoid interference with the radios in the R-9000. 

What is this modem? The model number?

Turning off the modem's wifi does not turn off any routing that it carries out.

If there is another router in your network, then the addressing process may not be what the app expects.

I am not familiar with the iOS version of the Nighthawk App. I use Android. 

In my case the behaviour depends on being connected to the router's wifi. If I am not it offers to use remote access.

It will show "Off line" hardware so long as it is registered at MyNetgear.

Message 4 of 6
EEWdad
Aspirant

The modem is an Xfinity gateway router - model DPC3941T. The R-9000 is plugged directly into the gateway via one of the four LAN connectors. 

Understood on the Xfinity Wi-Fi being off not having any impact on the routing function of the Xfinity device. 

My confusion stems from the app not being able to see my router... especially when my phone is connected to the wi-fi network which originates from the router.

The app tells me "Issues connecting with [my network name]" and tells me to switch Wi-Fi networks or troubleshoot.

• I've switched networks with no success. 
  • Trying to connect remotely doesn't appear to work -- only my former R8000 is shown and, in its correct disconnnected state.
  • Troubleshooting tells me:
    • to be sure I am not connected to my guest network (check);
    • to verify my mobile device isn't connected to another router or access point (Xfinity Wi-Fi radios are off, check); 
    • I've switched between 2.4G and 5G networks (check) and,
    • to be sure my router is not in Bridge Mode (check). 

I've also verified current firmware version and restarted my router as part of my basic trouble-shooting. 

Message 5 of 6

You have two routers in your network. This confuses the allocation of addresses to things that connect to the network. So the usual address for the R9000, routerlogin.net, will not work.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP). Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You have probably hit that one with the failure of remote management.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7