Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6120 Access Point setup and Nighthawk app

mmiii
Follower

R6120 Access Point setup and Nighthawk app

I configured my R6120 as an access point and would like to access it with the Nighthawk app. The Wifi 2.4 / 5 is great but the Nighthawk app can not connect. In the web interface of the R6120 I can not activate the remote access, the entry is grayed out.
Can someone help please?

Thanks

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: R6120 Access Point setup and Nighthawk app

@mmiii wrote:

I configured my R6120 as an access point and would like to access it with the Nighthawk app.

This explains what you lose by going into AP mode:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To access an AP device you need to work out what IP address it has acquired from your router. Then you can point a browser at that IP address.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

This explains what you lose by going into AP mode:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Yes, this does however not explain anything ref. the local or remote Nighthawk App usage - which is both currently not available in Access Point mode. Have requested to add this to the KB entry (by using the [No] and file some feedback text).

Message 3 of 5
gverratti
Initiate

This is a bogus answer.  Your competitors that provide mesh networks understand how to control the main DHCP server on the network through a single control app.  The only reason I have an access point on my network is because a single R6900 router was not powerful enough to supply access to my whole house.  Now I want to manage my attached devices through the Nighthawk app and you tell me that if the app connects via the acess point it cannot work out the main router?  Please, that's lazy engineering.  Please log a bug and get this fixed.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@gverratti wrote:

This is a bogus answer. 

This is a community, nobody from Netgear has answered here. 

@gverratti wrote:

Your competitors that provide mesh networks understand how to control the main DHCP server on the network through a single control app.

Neither your Nigthawk router nor the wireless AP are promoted to be a mesh system - in fact a term massively abused by the consumer electronics industry.

@gverratti wrote:

Now I want to manage my attached devices through the Nighthawk app and you tell me that if the app connects via the acess point it cannot work out the main router?

Not sure where this was told - except in a comment by the original poster. Yes, poor design and engineering of the router configured as a pure L2 device (WLAN AP) does "capture" the discovery or the connection to the router. There are many more reasons why I'm always suggesting to use "real" wireless AP (e.g. Netgear WAC505/510/540) instead of poorly converted routers which barely make good APs.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7