Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 - can't connect via Nighthawk App

PJD1978
Tutor

R6700v3 - can't connect via Nighthawk App

I have an R6700v3 router behind a spectrum E31T2V1 modem. Router firmware is V1.0.4.128_10.0.104.

I can connect through web access into router, but every time I try to connect throb Nighthawk App, I get an error saying "Router is unreachable." I've Uninstalled and reloaded multiple times and tried on both Android and iPhone devices. The router is about 3 years old and I used to be able to use the app. Not sure what, if anything changed?
Message 1 of 13

Re: R6700v3 - can't connect via Nighthawk App

@PJD1978 wrote:

I can connect through web access into router, but every time I try to connect throb Nighthawk App, I get an error saying "Router is unreachable."

Which app? iOS? Android?

Is the mobile device connected to the WiFi from the R6700v3?

You need to do that before you get to the bit where you enter the admin password.

Message 2 of 13
PJD1978
Tutor

As I said in the post, it is both android and iPhone that cannot connect.

Of course I'm on the wifi network with each device "before" attempting to log in.

Android gives the error "router is unreachable" and iPhone says "logon timed out"

Is there a setting or something in the router to allow/ disallow app access?? I can connect directly to router through both phones and laptop using routerlogin.net or directly typing the IP 192.168.1.1
Message 3 of 13
rcb2022
Aspirant

I have the same problem, perhaps worse.

I have the Nighthawk app set up on my phone.  The router works, my devices have access, everything seems fine.

However, I have an older printer/scanner that I had wirelessly attached to my old router.  I have been trying to connect it to the new Nighthawk AC3200.

It won't connect through the HP setup.  It tells me that MAC address filtering may be preventing the connection.  MAY be preventing it.  I need to go into the router app and fix it.

I try to connect to the Nighthawk app.  When I first set up the Nighthawk app on my phone, I configured it to accept my fingerprint through the phones finger print reader.  When I launch the app it shows me the various aspects of the app- device manager security, etc.  However, it then bounces me to login as admin.  I do the fingerprint, which it recognizes and accepts, but then it again asks me to login as admin with a password.  I do not think I changed the default from "password," but just set up the fingerprint.  Now, I cannot log into the app after it accepts the fingerprint. If I put in other passwords, it says wrong.  If I put in the default password it says "router is unreachable." 

Routerlogin.net and routerlogin.com appear to be broken.  The links on those pages seem to be circular redirects, and going directly to the router's IP address just brings up another login page.

I think my only option is to find a time when no one in my family is working from home or using the internet, doing a hard reboot, and reconnecting everything.

I have never dealt with anything as opaque and difficult to work with as the Nighthawk app, and I don't think I will ever buy another netgear product, a brand I used to revere.  The utter lack of customer support is dispiriting.  Turfing things off to "the community" is no substitute for actual support. 

Message 4 of 13

@rcb2022 wrote:

I have the same problem, perhaps worse.

Different problem. Nothing to do with that from @PJD1978, who didn't mention printers

Not even the same router. The Nighthawk R6700v3 is not an AC3200. (That's not a Netgear model number.)

Setting things up with the Nighthawk app is not the best idea. You would do better to start your own conversation in the appropriate section, possibly here:

Nighthawk Wi-Fi 5 (AC) Routers - NETGEAR Communities

But check the model number first.

You could also search that section for past discussions on HP printers. (Try including the HP modem number.)

Problems with HP printers are a constant here. They are usually down to the printer setup.

But that is best not discussed here as that would break the rules and hijack the original query.

Message 5 of 13
rcb2022
Aspirant

Same problem with the router being unreachable.

I'm pretty sure the problem connecting the printer/scanner to my network is due to MAC address filtering on the router, but I can't get into the app to change that setting because the app says the router is unreachable.

Message 6 of 13

@rcb2022 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the problem connecting the printer/scanner to my network is due to MAC address filtering on the router, but I can't get into the app to change that setting because the app says the router is unreachable.

It would be interesting to know how you reached that conclusion.

If you are right, this would add a brand new issue to the portfolio of problems that people report here.

But it is hard to tell what is going on from your complicated description, which includes a load of stuff about fingerprints that has not much to do with getting a router to work.

Message 7 of 13
rcb2022
Aspirant

rcb2022_0-1680020170622.png

Message 8 of 13

Doesn't add much. Heaven only knows what that screen comes from. Not the router.

The Nighthawk App mentioned in the subject has nothing to do with establishing a WiFi link to the printer.

Did you find this?

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

Is your router still in its "out of the box" state? That WiFi SSID suggests so. Nothing wrong with that.Just a clue as to what is happening at your end.

Message 9 of 13
rcb2022
Aspirant

TL, DR: I have the same problem using the Nighthawk app as the other user: it returns a message saying the router is unreachable when I try to log in.

The overlong version: A little over a year ago, I bought a R8000-100NAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router to replace a Norton Core router that Norton discontinued/bricked.  I was never able to get my older HP printer/scanner to connect to the new router, although it worked fine with the Norton Core.  A few days ago, I picked the printer up and carried it to the room where my computer is.  I connected it with a cable and went through set-up with the HP printer set-up utility on my computer.  It failed, returning a report that it was probably due to MAC address filtering. 

However, when I tried to check the MAC settings on the router, I was unable to login.  When I set up the Nighthawk app, I set it up to log me in my reading my fingerprint.  However, after reading my fingerprint, it asks me to log in with a password.  After many failed attempts, I finally guessed the password I had used, only to have the app tell me that it can't run because my router is unreachable.  The router runs fine, everyone connects happily, but I cannot add this device to my network because I can no longer open the app to check and change settings. 

i looked at the HP link posted, but for me it opens here https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/list.aspx?fc_conn_wifi=1&sel=PRN.  Possibly because I am not in the UK.  It's really not a problem doing set-up, as it worked on the Norton Core, it's a problem with a default setting on the nighthawk router.  Possibly an "out of the box" problem, if that term refers to using a device with its default configuration.  Unfortunately, I can no long get into the router to change anything.

Message 10 of 13

@rcb2022 wrote:

TL, DR: I have the same problem using the Nighthawk app as the other user: it returns a message saying the router is unreachable when I try to log in.

This just rehashes things said before. I repeat, this is almost certainly not the same problem as @PJD1978 .

Solving it requiring troubleshooting rather than going in with a preconceived idea on mac addresses about what is a going wrong .

How to Connect Your Printer to WiFi | HP® Tech Takes

Piling in on this conversation does the original poster a disservice and is against the rules of this community.

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

Message 11 of 13
RagingRouter
Initiate

Router: R6700V3

Firmware: V1.0.4.128_10.0.104

I have the same router and my wifi is working fine. I was using the app to check my settings without a problem earlier today. Then, I noticed the app said there was an update available for the router and installed it. After updating, I was unable to access router in app, however my admin credentials work fine on routerlogin.net.

As @PJD1978 stated, I also had fingerprint recognition setup beforehand. After updating and entering my fingerprint, the app indicates the fingerprint was accepted, however it still requires a password before I can log in. After entering the correct password on my android, I receive the following message: "Your router is unreachable. Please check that your router is on. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device." However, I will note that if I enter the incorrect password, the app prompts with the same message as when I enter the correct password.

Not only did I try rebooting several times, but I have  also attempted resetting router, resetting my passwords, clearing app cache, uninstalling/reinstalling app, and the problem still persists.

Message 12 of 13

@RagingRouter wrote:

After entering the correct password on my android, I receive the following message: "Your router is unreachable. Please check that your router is on. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device." However, I will note that if I enter the incorrect password, the app prompts with the same message as when I enter the correct password.

This would not be the first time that Netgear has delivered a broken app. It seems to alternate between Android and iOS. Fix one and gthe other breaks.

The problem with Android apps is that, unlike router firmware, once you have the new version installed you can't roll back to the one that worked.

At least, that is the theory. In reality there is a way to install an earlier version. It involves going to the "apk archive" and finding an older version  of an app:

APKMirror - Free APK Downloads - Free and safe Android APK downloads

This is where you can find the Nighthawk before the latest and into the distant past:

You searched for Netgear nighthawk - APKMirror

I have no idea if a broken app has caused your problems, but your description hints at it as does the timing. (Unfortunately, we haven't heard from @PJD1978 lately to see if they fixed there problem and got led astray by some random "noises off".)

Before you go down that route, there is one thing that has worked for me in the past. I disabled Anywhere Access. That breaks your login settings for the router.

Then I re-enabled it. (You have to do that with a local WiFi connection.)  That meant feeding in the login details.

It worked here on a very different router. But you don't have much to lose with a system that is bust.

Good luck. You may need it.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7