Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 web interface not always including computer in device list

gaclark1950
Aspirant

R6700v3 web interface not always including computer in device list

Since the latest firmware update, the web interface stops listing the computer I am using. It is there in the Access Control list, but not in the device list. The iMac is connected via Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and before the update both were listed (as they should be). If I restart the router the computer is there again, but after some time (not sure how long) it's gone again. Everything works as expected, and if I check routerlogin.net on my iPad while the Mac is active, I see the same thing. I.e., if the computer is or is not in the device list on the iMac, I see the same on the iPad.

BTW, I cannot get the Nighthawk app to connect to the router for the past couple of updates, so switching to that to see if it works is not possible. This more an annoyance, but I do wonder if anyone has had similar issues.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700v3 web interface not always including computer in device list

Apple's great at rolling out things that cause issues. 

For example, private mac/ip address and icloud relay. Make sure those are disabled if you want to use the app. It might even help with your connected device list. 

Message 2 of 9

@gaclark1950 wrote:

The iMac is connected via Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and before the update both were listed (as they should be).

If you have an iMac, there is a secret weapon that Netgear does not want you to know about. It is the desktop genie for the Mac operating system.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The Windows version of this has has a better map than the Nighthawk app and is easier to use than the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

I have no idea if this would deal with your issue, but there is no harm in trying.

Of course, given Apple's delight in playing around in ways that break things, hence the comment from @plemans, there is also a chance that it has done something to kill the genie.

Message 3 of 9
gaclark1950
Aspirant

I have tried the suggested solutions, but to no avail. Turning off Private IP address did not allow the Nighthawk app to connect. The Genie app tells me it is not compatible with my router.

Since I see the same thing on the iMac, my iPad and on a Mac Mini on the same network, I don't think it is an Apple thing. AFAIK, this started with the latest firmware update. As I said, this is really just an annoyance. As long as everything works, and I can see the iMac in the Access Control list, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Thanks to those who responded.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your using the NH app with Apple devices, FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-app-not-connecting-but-Wi-Fi-works-gt-Try-T...

@gaclark1950 wrote:

Since the latest firmware update, the web interface stops listing the computer I am using. It is there in the Access Control list, but not in the device list. The iMac is connected via Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and before the update both were listed (as they should be). If I restart the router the computer is there again, but after some time (not sure how long) it's gone again. Everything works as expected, and if I check routerlogin.net on my iPad while the Mac is active, I see the same thing. I.e., if the computer is or is not in the device list on the iMac, I see the same on the iPad.

BTW, I cannot get the Nighthawk app to connect to the router for the past couple of updates, so switching to that to see if it works is not possible. This more an annoyance, but I do wonder if anyone has had similar issues.

Message 5 of 9

@gaclark1950 wrote:

The Genie app tells me it is not compatible with my router.

Which "app" is that?

I was suggesting the desktop genie. Unlike mobile apps, that does not depend on firmware or which router you are using.

It is just a front end for the #browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Not compatible with a computer and/or its operating system I can understand. But not a router.

Message 6 of 9
gaclark1950
Aspirant

I was not aware there was a desktop version--it is not in the App store, but I did find a copy and installed it. It does show the iMac in the Network view, but the info there is incomplete. E.g., it shows my iPhone as being a wired connection, but is not identified as an iPhone.

For the mobile (iPad) version, the app does, indeed, tell me that it is not compatible with my router.

Either option (web interface or Genie app) has certain limitations. But it's not something I can't live with for now.

Message 7 of 9
gaclark1950
Aspirant

After more experimentation, I have discovered a few things.

1) The web interface does not always refresh properly. My son, who is currently at work 3 miles away, has an iPhone that is connected to WiFi when he's home. It was showing in the Connected Devices list, even after a refresh.

2) After using the Genie app. the web interface updates appropriately, including showing the iMac in the device list! My son's iPhone was no longer there.

3) I tried again to get the Nighthawk app to work by turning off Private IP Address; still no go. However, in the process I did find that the web interface, which has always reported it as an iPad, even with Private IP activated, suddenly was only reporting it as an Apple mobile device. Turning this off allowed it to recognize it as an iPad.

Message 8 of 9

@gaclark1950 wrote:

I was not aware there was a desktop version--it is not in the App store, but I did find a copy and installed it.

It isn't an "app" as most people known them. I provided the link to it earlier in this conversation.

Re: R6700v3 web interface not always including com... - NETGEAR Communities

but the info there is incomplete. E.g., it shows my iPhone as being a wired connection, but is not identified as an iPhone.

I realise that Apple people sometimes find this technology stuff difficult to fathom, but you can fix that by editing the Network Map.

You may be hindered because you are using pretty well the bottom of the range of Netgear's Nighthawk routers. First launched in 2014, it may have hard time keeping up with Apple's relentless treadmill.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7