Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P Location and / or signal boost through adding omni-directional indoor antenna

Sixdash8
Aspirant

R6900P Location and / or signal boost through adding omni-directional indoor antenna

Though my warranty has expired, I am wanting to modify my signal to allow wifi devises to receive a faster and stable signal. 

It was suggested by Best Buy Tech for me to re-locate my router to a location closer to downstairs laptop and fire stick TV.  I am not sure if I can just raise the antenna's  or add a newer CAT cable to help improve my circumstances, please advise.  Supplemental info,  my ISP is through Frontier Communications 1/384, dsl modem.  They can only offer me a increase speed to 18Mbps but I am not sure that with doing that anything will change.  Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks. 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: R6900P Location and / or signal boost through adding omni-directional indoor antenna

@Sixdash8 wrote:

Though my warranty has expired, I am wanting to modify my signal to allow wifi devises to receive a faster and stable signal. 

What is the problem? What are you trying to do?

There is not much that you can do to "modify the signal" from your router.

Best Buy Tech is on the right track. Move the router to a place where it sends out a better signal for other devices.

Newer cables aren't likely to do much.

If you are limited to Internet speeds of 18 Mbps you aren't going to get much speed on anything you connect to the router. That's the bottleneck.

By the way, it may not matter, but you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Apps and Services. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

Message 2 of 6
Sixdash8
Aspirant

Re: R6900P Location and / or signal boost through adding omni-directional indoor antenna

So, if I don't have an option what am I to do, besides moving the router closer to other devices?  Options pls?

Message 3 of 6

@Sixdash8 wrote:

Options pls?

• Get faster broadband.
  • Don't try to do too many things on line simultaneously
  • Tell people what the problem is (how do I get faster wifi? is not a useful indication of what the issue might be).

Message 4 of 6
Sixdash8
Aspirant

I am limited to obtaining faster broadband right now Frontier Communications has me at 1/384 which is nothing and their option will only put me at 18 Mbps.  FiOS is not offered to me from any of the providers, any suggestions?

Message 5 of 6

@Sixdash8 wrote:

...any suggestions?

See above. I repeat:

Tell people what the problem is (how do I get faster wifi? is not a useful indication of what the issue might be).

Then maybe someone can come up with ideas.

Simply reiterating what we already know gets us no further.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7