Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000: Access Control - Blocked Device can still access internal network.

DWheater
Follower

R7000: Access Control - Blocked Device can still access internal network.

A week or so ago I reset the admin password on my R7000 and changed the SSIDs and passwords on both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks as I suspected someone had hacked into it and was trying to access my Synology SAN.

I've now found a new device in the Attached Devices list, a MAC address lookup says the MAC address belongs to a Lite-On device. I don't have any of these devices, so I Blocked the device, unfortunately the device is still connected and I can ping it.

I did a test by blocking my iPad, but once done I could still access my SAN. As far as I can tell blocking a device only prevents access to the Internet, the internal network is still accessible. This to me is a major issue, every other WiFi routers has had the capability to prevent MAC addresses from connecting to a network, it seems the R7000 does not.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000: Access Control - Blocked Device can still access internal network.

Hi @jloew44,

Setting up time blocks on when a device can or cannot connect to the network is not supported.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DWheater,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Was the device already showing up as connected to your network before you changed your passwords?

3. Is the device showing connected via wired or wireless?

4. A quick search for Lite-On shows that they manufacture parts for consumer electronics of wide variety. This means that it could just be one of your devices as well.

5. Have you tried resetting the router?

6. You may check the link below as reference on how to configure Access Control then test it with your other devices and see if the issue persists.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24830

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
lalajo
Tutor

The same issue is happing to me.  I have blocked some devices so my kids stay off their phones when its bed time.  When I check logs it shows activity all night.  When I look at attached devices...the device shows blocked but they are still attached and still using the wireless notebooks when they shouldnt.  How is this possible???  Its says blocked, yet they are accessing the internet via our wifi???

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @lalajo,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your router?

2. Are you blocking the devices through the NETGEAR Genie app/program? If yes, on which device and what is the version of the app/program?

3. Did you try configuring the Access Control feature through the router UI using a browser?

4. Have you tried resetting the router?

5. Have you tried blocking your own device using another? If yes, did it work?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
lalajo
Tutor

Nighthawk R700

Firmware Version
V1.0.5.48_1.1.79

I have tried blocking with Genie and through access control via online site

I have blocked other devices and it works.  On this wireless computer it shows as connected to network, but blocked.  There are no logs showing activity but able to acess internet...google, youtube etc.  After further research, I found out that my son had used the code off the box to connect to the router.  I am not sure if this is part of the issue, and if it is, I need to know how to fix it.

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @lalajo,

1. I recommend performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may check the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

2. Once you have successfully reconfigured the router, you can then setup Access Control via the NETGEAR Genie app or the router. You can check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24830

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
jloew44
Aspirant

i have an R7000, with updated firmware. can i set up time blocks? 

Message 7 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jloew44,

Setting up time blocks on when a device can or cannot connect to the network is not supported.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7