Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Allow access problem

Bobbyj24
Aspirant

R7800 Allow access problem

I have 2 devices (one each on 2.4 & 5) that when I block access and close the app they will be back allowed when I reopen the app. The MAC address and the same except the last letters (5D &5E). The beginning of the MAC address is 9A:DA:C4 but nothing comes up when I try to search them, search keeps popping up for a 98:DA:C4 but that’s not what mine is… there is also a device that doesn’t even allow it to be blocked there is no toggle for it but im guessing that’s probably on every app…. Thanks for any help
Message 1 of 4

Re: R7800 Allow access problem

@Bobbyj24 wrote:
I have 2 devices (one each on 2.4 & 5) that when I block access and close the app they will be back allowed when I reopen the app.

Lots of unknowns in there. Which "App" is this? iOS or Android?

Where are you "blocking" in the App?

What happens if you take the grown up approach and work with the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Apps are generally find for trivial stuff, but anything that requires proper control, including firmware updates, is best done through the GUI?

What firmware version do you have on the R7800?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 4
Bobbyj24
Aspirant

IOS app and in the Device Manager section it allows you to “Allow Access” to each connected device. When you press the toggle button on the device it blocks it. Firmware version V1.0.2.92. I have no idea what a GUI is so I guess im not a grown up and need help. I was just Renaming all my connected devices so I know what they are and noticed the 2 I’m talking about.
Message 3 of 4

The "GUI" is the old "pre-app" way of setting up a router or any network device with a wired connection. 

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apps are a "new" and very simplified way of managing device. Best avoided for serious work, including firmware updates, which apps often miss and occasional screw up, leaving a dead router.

The GUI is explained in the manual for your R7800.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Unfortunately, apps also seem to be beyond Netgear's skill level. Just about every recent update has broken things. First is it the iOS version, then it switched over to Android.

I was just Renaming all my connected devices so I know what they are and noticed the 2 I’m talking about.

The GUI lets you do that but is also seems to be one feature that works in the app.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7