Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 - Unable to login to OpenDNS / Parental Controls

PS8525
Tutor

Betreff: R7800 - Unable to login to OpenDNS / Parental Controls

When you say resetting do you mean restoring to factory default and setting the router up again. What version of firmware are you using?

Thanks.

Message 26 of 39
MontyTheLab2
Guide

When is Netgear going to fix this?? I specifically bought this router for the parental controls and I have been trying to make this work for the last year? Come on guys...Let's come up with a solution here!!??

Message 27 of 39
MontyTheLab2
Guide

FYI...having a 15 digit password with OpenDNS does nothing as I have read in other threads.  Just wanted to share that. I have been trying to make this work since 9/2016.  I bought a Like New router off of Amazon from what I thought was an authorized reseller so I never received ANY support from Netgear. Big mistake on my part.

Message 28 of 39
BigJack
Aspirant

The only way to make it work again to me was to download the latest firmware. Reset the router and set it up manually again without loading any saved configuration.

This way I made it working and it still does.

Message 29 of 39
PS8525
Tutor

I've spent many hours on this issue Netgear even sent a new router which because it was brand new worked for about a day. I've come to the conclusion that its down to dns settings. If you install the DNS updater on your PC/Mac and when the ISP IP address changes then I lose internet the updater reports and error and its because the DNS is different than OpenDNS. I've made sure that my DNS settings in my router arre the ones that OpenDNS provides.

But now I can't get QOS to work but it has not been an issue yet with streaming video and ots the lesser of two evils.

hope this helps a little.

Message 30 of 39
Toonaway
Guide

I have also spent hours on this. It has been with the Netgear engineers for two months now and apart from sporadic requests for screenshots, there has been nothing coming back from them. Frankly I have had just about enough. I can "force" it to work by returning to Factory Settings but it will not work a few hours later. We have tried various firmware and Genie versions - all have the same issue. I use OpenDNS DNS servers, same problem.

The clock is ticking now, this is the one feature I bought the router for and I have been more than fair in giving Netgear 2+ months and hours of my time to resolve.

I am now exploring other options.
Message 31 of 39
Toonaway
Guide

Additionally, just an FYI - the support guys that I have spoken with seem unaware of the scale of the problem and perhaps would do well to take note of posts such as this on THEIR forum.
Message 32 of 39
MontyTheLab2
Guide

No doubt...this is ridiculous that they allow a problem like this to fester without any resolution. 

Message 33 of 39
sanstrom
Aspirant

I really don't get why Netgear acts like this isn't an issue.  Litterally cannot get this to work for more than an hour.  I set up parental controls.  They work.  I go back into genie and parental controls are now off.  I try logging into parental controls with the exact same username and password that JUST WORKED and it states "please check your internet connection". It's mind blowing since I can be streaming a video on my other monitor and the entire house is online but this app acts like there is no connection. I've done everything suggested in thy myriad of forums.  Stupid stupid 15 digit password which let me tell you doesn't matter one bit.  Ok I did that.  Same thing.  I factory reset and go through it again.  I can reproduce this issue every time.  It's the same every time. I think it's a firmware/genie combination issue.  Why can't they do this through the webpage rather than this odd 2ndary app?  Keep hoping that an update fixes it but again been dealing with this over a year.  Here's a clue DD-WRT works perfectly fine.   I'm resigned to using a 3rd party firmware which slows down NAT but I can't trust this router/software to do what it says on the box.  I also tried android,ios,osx,and windows and they all do the same thing.  It's not an OS issue.  Its' either genie or the firmware.  I think they need to scrap the entire system and reconfigure it but doubt that will happen.  I guess I'll live with this until I can build a PC router and just use this for the wifi and a switch and turn off all routing. Sad.  

Message 34 of 39
TechHero
Initiate

indianaMark -  "I rolled firmware back to version 18. Problem solved. Bug in current version of Netgear firmware."

Can confirm, Firmware 1.0.1.18 works for the R6400. Thanks! I've been trying to solve this problem for HOURS. 

Message 35 of 39
MontyTheLab2
Guide

Will try it...thanks for the tip

Message 36 of 39
IndianaMark
Aspirant

I tried the upgrade recently to 1.0.1.22 with Netgear Genie version 2.4.38  on my R6400  No success.  It's so hard to understand why Netgear is not facing this head on and fixing this issue.  I have read on other forums that they will soon have a new version of Netgear Genie released.  I hope this solves this issue.  This has sure given Netgear a black eye.  Unacceptable for a company with their resources.

Message 37 of 39
IndianaMark
Aspirant

I tried the upgrade recently to 1.0.1.22 with Netgear Genie version 2.4.38  on my R6400  No success.  It's so hard to understand why Netgear is not facing this head on and fixing this issue.  I have read on other forums that they will soon have a new version of Netgear Genie released.  I hope this solves this issue.  This has sure given Netgear a black eye.  Unacceptable for a company with their resources.

Message 38 of 39
HJA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello All,

I'm also the victim of this same problem. And revieweing all the previous comments, I cannot agree with you all that how bad it is for a Company like Netgear, to linger upon this problem and not finding a genuine solution to this problem.

Just to add, I had also bought router R7800 in April 2017 and now facing the same problem.

Please share any permanent solution if anyone has found so far.

Thanks

Message 39 of 39
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7