Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7900 update V1.0.1.18_10.0.20. cannot connect to Netgear genie

kevinluo1990
Tutor

R7900 update V1.0.1.18_10.0.20. cannot connect to Netgear genie

Hi guys,

I recently updated Firmware to V1.0.1.18_10.0.20 for my router. But ever since I updated, I cannot login to my router via my iPhone app and desktop NetgearGenie. It says"login failed. The router response timed out." And in my iPhone app says"Netgear router was not found or is not supported. Make sure that your mobile device is not connected to the router's guest network and that IPv6 is not enabled." Could you guys help me out, thank you.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
eckypting
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with a newly installed R7900 replacing a WNDR4500 that bit the dust. Initial setup was not what I would consider smooth (e.g. www.routerlogin.net not being found by any web browser on a PC hardwired to the router, no Internet found via a modem verified to be connected to the Internet, etc.), BUT Genie via iPhone had been working along the way. Registering the router ended up pushing a firmware update to the R7900 seemingly automatically, at which point I believe is when Genie stopped working. After doing reinstalls of Genie S/W on both an iPhone and 2 different PC's, including a power-cycle of the router, Genie was able to log in once via iPhone, and then not anymore after that single shot.

Not that Genie is needed for doing more critical router configuration, it had been a handy tool in some instances.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 2 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kevinluo1990 and @eckypting,

Please make sure you do a factory reset after updating the firmware. If the issue persists, please try uninstalling and re-installing the app/program from the devices.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kevinluo1990 and @eckypting,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 11
kevinluo1990
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried but it didn't work. I downgrade the firmware version to the previous one, and everything was ok again. So I guess there is some error in V1.0.1.18?

Message 5 of 11
eckypting
Aspirant

I backed up the router configuration and did a factory reset as suggested, then restored the configuration from the backup.  Once again, the the Genie App worked for one session, and then has failed to login thereafter. The Genie for Windows works intermittently, and even then only when using the remote access route to login to the router. Direct/local login using Genie for Windows does not appear to work (the attempt to login times out).

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 6 of 11
eckypting
Aspirant

I backed up the configuration, did the factory reset, and then restored the configuration from the backup. Also removed and reinstalled Genie on both the PC and iPhone. iPhone app was able to log in successfully, but only for one session. After logging out, the next login attempt results in the same condition as at the beginning. Similarly, PC application work one time and was able to access "Router Settings" and "Parental Controls". Now it is unable to login "at Home" or "by Remote" to access "Router Settings" or  Attempting to access "Parental Controls" indicates the Router is not registered and asks if I would like to register it, or says I'm not connected to the Internet.  It only allows login for "Network Support" (i.e. redirecting to this website).

Message 7 of 11
YedaAnna
Aspirant

I have the same issue as the OP and rest of the community. I regret updating to this latest firmware. having all sorts of issues. Genie from iphone6s IOS10.3.3 (latest) does not work!! Please fix this ASAP!!

Message 8 of 11
stan2841
Aspirant

I own the R7900 and have the exact same issue. You would think with the cost of these devices, Netgear would release FW that works with their Genie app. Is there any date for a scheduled FW or Genie update to fix this? I'm still within the return period and may just do that.
Message 9 of 11
eckypting
Aspirant

The remote access mode seems to work reliably for me using the iPhone App. The Windows application is a bit squirrelly, but once remote access is established it seems to work OK. When You're doing anything complicated w.r.t. configuration you still need to use the web UI regardless.

I've had issues with the Readyshare USB drive not appearing in Windows 8.1 Networking as well. Dealt with support on that for 3 wks+ to finally get a workaround that amounts to an 80% solution.

Still, I'll keep mine because it's basically functional and reasonably easy to configure. The VPN access is a nice thing as it enables streaming content even when overseas and would otherwise be blocked, as well as access to the devices on the home network, although the ReadyVault Backup does not appear to work from remote even when connected through the VPN. That's for another ticket!
Message 10 of 11
stan2841
Aspirant

Thanks, Ill giver remote access a try when I have some time later.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7