Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 and Firmware 1.0.4.66_10.1.75 Slow Xfinity Connection AC and Slow Wifi Speeds - GIGABIT -

fperezl
Aspirant

R8000 and Firmware 1.0.4.66_10.1.75 Slow Xfinity Connection AC and Slow Wifi Speeds - GIGABIT - Slow

Hi, I am super dissapoitned with Netgear, I have had this AC3200 device for almost 2 years now, and when I was using an Arris6190 modem with a connectio of speed 200Mbp the unit was working quite decent. Now, it happens that I upgraded to a Gigabit service and bought a new modem Arris S33, connecte my R8000 AC3200 hoping to get the gigabit speeds, and guess what ? 

I wasnt getting the gigabit connection. Xfintiy came, we tested the cables, the router, the modem, we isolated all the issues....And the problem is the R8000 router.

I called Netgear and they wanted to sell me some maintenance plan saying that they would FIX the issues "what a scam",. That some engenieer would login into my unit and make all the changes "INTERNALLY" that the problem was not the FIRMWARE (I was using the most recent one .75 ) that they had to modify something so that the speed of my modem would match the speed of the netgear router. 

I may be ignorant, but I have never heard this, I dont think that we as customers have to pay "to have some engineer" go inside the programing code of the unit and reset it. It seems to me like a "SCAM". For one, when I bought the unit, i bought it because it said it supported the speeds. (NETGEAR). Now, they have to change the speed ? Is this true ? am I wrong ? Because, as far as I know, when you update the firmare you update the router to perform to the highest standard.

If not, then why would NETGEAR release buggy firmware and reduce or take away the fucntionaliy  of the router ?

Its' all marketing, it said it could do 1300 on 5hz, I have never seen that possible with my new computer ( m1 mac ), but when you buy other units ie. ASUS, you see that all devices show higher speeds than netgear. Thus, is this a marketing gimmick, is Netgear tricking its clients to believe that they have to pay to get a service contract ?

Sorry, but, I am totally againts being charged for somethign that my router should deliver. I have reset it, downgradeded, the software to the .49 and it has performed better.

So, is there a way to adjust the "FREQUENCIES" -- besides de setting ont he webspage to fix the isseus of the router ?

Thanks,

I want to see 1300 supported, and fast speeds, not dropped speeds ...(where other routers perform better )

Otherwise, this is nonsense. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
OXBMAD
Aspirant

Re: R8000 and Firmware 1.0.4.66_10.1.75 Slow Xfinity Connection AC and Slow Wifi Speeds - GIGABIT -

SO I ASSUME YOU CHANGED YOUR ETHERNET CABLES TO CAT6 SINCE YOU HAVE UPGRAGED YOUR INTERNET SPEED YOU ALSO NEED TO UPGRADE YOUR CABLES AS WELL CAT5 WILL WORK BUT YOUR NEW SPEED WIILL PUSH IT TO ITS LIMITS I RECOMMOND USING ATLEAST CAT6  AN I ALSO ASSUME THAT YOUR ROUTER IS PLACED IN A GREAT PLACE IN YOUR HOME THAT WILL ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING BETTER SPEEDS IF YOU JUST PUT YOUR ROUTER ANYWHERE YOU MIGHT WANT TO TEST YOUR HOUSE OUT TO FIND WHAT AREA GIVES YOU THE BEST SPEEDS IM NOT SURE WHAT ELSE YOU HAVE BUT ITS A TRY IM ALSO NOT AN EXPERT JUST TRYING TO HELP SORRY IF YOU ALREADY DID THESE THINGS BEST OF LUCK!!!

ALSO AS FOR PAYING FOR HELP I WOULD NOT PAY FOR HELP YOUTUBE CAN BE YOUR BEST FRIEND IT SUCKS A COMPANY LIKE NETGEAR WILL HAVE SUCH POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 9
fperezl
Aspirant

Yes, I did everything and tested everything with a tech : cables and all. The fault is not the cable or the modem is the router ( Netgear)
Yes, I wouldn’t pay a dime for for support, a faulty firmware or equipment is something they should recall and replace.
I can’t believe their customer support. Someday, they will pay the price of a terrible service and assistance.
Interestingly enough they say pay annually , ohhh you can’t pay for 6 months, ohhhh you can’t pay a one time fee.
Rest assured me we will fix it, we will change the speed.... sounded like one of those scam companies that want your name, number, email
And credit card number.
And...... if you don’t get the speed you want we will refund you ! Really ????

Don’t. Buy another router you will have the same problem. Jan Jan ja.... pure BS
You will spend twice, don’t get the new ones get this one fixed and all your devices will be covered
bs

Don’t be tricked !!!
Netgear is buggy
Message 3 of 9
fperezl
Aspirant

Why come out with upgrades on firmware they don’t support ?
Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@fperezl wrote:

I called Netgear and they wanted to sell me some maintenance plan saying that they would FIX the issues "what a scam",. 

Indeed Scam most likely - kind of confirmed because of the fake "match the speed" story they told you. The reason? You can not just call Netgear support in most markets. Netgear support does always start on https://my.netgear.com/ or via Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

@fperezl wrote:

IFor one, when I bought the unit, i bought it because it said it supported the speeds. (NETGEAR). Now, they have to change the speed ? Is this true ? am I wrong ? Because, as far as I know, when you update the firmare you update the router to perform to the highest standard. 

Leaving any marketing messages and marketing lies all the wireless vendors are using away ...

Let's see what the specs say:

• WiFi Performance : AC3200 (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps)
  • WiFi Band : Simultaneous Tri-Band WiFi - Tx/Rx 3x3 (2.4GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz) + 3x3 (5GHz)

This means one of the 5 GHz radios can support a PHY link speed (not throughput!) of 1300 Mb/s on a 80 MHz channel, 3x3 MIMO, 256-QAM 5/6. 

And then e.g. the Mac Mini M1 or MacBook M1 says

Wi-Fi 

• 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 wireless networking
  • IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac compatible

This means in performance expectations ... nothing!

Apple is so cheap and does not declare anything but the standard  absolute the worst vendor in this aspect. Most likely, this is a 2x2 system - like the majority of mobile wireless clients in the field.

This 2x2 client can make a max PHY link rate of 866 Mb/s on a 80 MHz channel, and 256-QAM 5/6. Under the line, you might get a max wireless thrugthroughputhput of about 500, probably 550 Mb/s.

An average 802.11ac connection does never make Gigabit.

There are few exceptions (leaving alone the almost non-existing 4x4 802.11ac PCI card interfaces): The Intel AX200 (a 802.11ax wireless client similar, if not the very similar as in your Mac)  makes a link rate of 1733 Mb/s to the Netgear R9000 802.11ac 5 GHz radio - at 160 MHz channel bandwidth (80+80 MHz) and the standard 256-QAM 5/6, resulting in a max and ideal conditions test speed of some ~1125 Mb/s, which is indeed above a wired Gigabit Ethernet link. 

Said that - I'm afraid, you are wrong.

@fperezl wrote:

If not, then why would NETGEAR release buggy firmware and reduce or take away the fucntionaliy  of the router ?

There are other factors like QoS requiring reconfiguration (based on bandwidth previously available*) resp. needs to be disabled for decent speed for example. Nothing taken away...

* is this probably what the support person tried to explain??

@fperezl wrote:

Its' all marketing, it said it could do 1300 on 5hz, I have never seen that possible with my new computer ( m1 mac ), but when you buy other units ie. ASUS, you see that all devices show higher speeds than netgear. Thus, is this a marketing gimmick, ...

There is a lot in marketing, but we as users must understand the reality. It can do 1300 - as I've explained above ... 

All vendors use the very same chipsets and wireless radio code - there is nothing A can do better then N than TP than Z than whatever.

@fperezl wrote:

So, is there a way to adjust the "FREQUENCIES" -- besides de setting ont he webspage to fix the isseus of the router ?

No idea what you are behind here. 

@fperezl wrote:

I want to see 1300 supported, and fast speeds, not dropped speeds ...

Otherwise, this is nonsense. 

To start learning and understanding, and to add some beef to the discussion - capture the Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac and post the details here.

Have an eye on @duckware's sophisticated information collection available -> https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html 

If not - keep dreaming.

Message 5 of 9

@fperezl wrote:

I called Netgear and they wanted to sell me some maintenance plan saying that they would FIX the issues "what a scam",.

If this  was  telephone number that you found with a web search IT WASN'T NETGEAR. There are too many scam sites out there that try to look like Netgear but in reality are dodgy operations that can damage your network and your bank balance.

There is no phone support for Netgear. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support. Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

After 90 days, Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing.

Message 6 of 9
fperezl
Aspirant

1. I did it via the support

2. They gave me a case #

3. As explained my unit had over 90 days = warranty expired

4.- Geardhead contact me - ( who ever that it using netgears name )

5.- they sent me to gear head - saying they would change the programming of my BOX

In any case, whether its gearhead or netgear the service is not premium

yes, there is a cost

6 months plan

$89.99

1 year plan

$139.99

2 year plan

$229.99

Pay-Per-Incident Support

Only $49.99 Per Incident *

Message 7 of 9

Phew. Not one of the many poor souls who have been bilked by dodgy operators.

Sadly, too many people are not as careful as you were.

Message 8 of 9
fperezl
Aspirant

so, my question remains : 

1) Although  the unit says 1300, there is no 1300 achievable. 

2) having smartconnect doenst optimize things if you gave 2.4 devices and 5ghz devices

3) Mac computers show 866 speed transmission rate

4) speed test shows 520Mb - (although connnection to modem is 1000 gigabit)

5) when i bring other routers into play i get > speeds for transmission rate 1300

6) Will gearhead change, modify the router ? other than change the firmware ? 

quesiton remains

I will suspect routers softwarw will not be changed because then it will be out of support.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7