Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 and Genie

UriB
Tutor

R8500 and Genie

I replaced my R7000 with R8500.

Since then Genie keeps crashing on my computer.  Uninstalling and reinstalling a few times did not help.

Although I installed Genie to start with Windows, it does not.

I can start Genie manually, after a while it will recognize my router, but it will not stay resident in memory and sometimes just crash.

I hadn't change anything in my computer software wise, except replacing my C: drive with an SSD (not a new insstallation, but a transfer fro the old HDD.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Any ideas what can be the cause?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: R8500 and Genie

The Netgear Genie App on Windows does crash for many, this might be dependant on combination operating system and router. Several reports on Netgar GEnie App not survining more than a few hours certainly on Windows 10 talking to R8500 and R9000.

Message 2 of 8

Genie must be delt with urgent matter!

Genie has many issues in all sorts of ways!

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

Genie has many issues in all sorts of ways!

Hm, some ...

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

In my opinion, all router management features (including the Parental Control, which is currently bypassing any authentication) should be replaced by link to the Web based Genie UI ... this will immediately bring remediation to plenty of incompatibilities 8-) There is no reason to maintain multiple user interfaces at all. Hope this will happen wiht the coming-up UI update. 

Message 4 of 8
UriB
Tutor

That is true.  I had talked to tech support numerous times but nobody in Netgear seems to care much.

It looks like they treat Genie as something completely on the side and not important to their business.  Very typical to the company, once you buy their router (and I have purchased more than 15 of them, as a consultant) there is very little support, if any.

When it comes to Genie, which for most user can be a great piece of helping application, they just don't want to hear.

Message 5 of 8
Chast
Aspirant

I have had this problem with the R8500 for many months. The 2.4 ghz goes down while the 5 ghz stays up.

Rebooting temporarily fixes it but nearly everyday it needs to be done.

Recently I have had to reboot it two threee or more times.

This does not seem right that this problem has persisted so long and not officially addressed or repaired.

It is obvious that there is an issue. I had great hope when I purchased this router having had good experiences in the past.

I can not continue to live with this. I need the router for security when I am away from home.

I am considering moving to a mesh environment but based on the experience with this Netgear product, I am very adverse to considering them.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Chast wrote:

I have had this problem with the R8500 for many months. The 2.4 ghz goes down while the 5 ghz stays up.

Rebooting temporarily fixes it but nearly everyday it needs to be done.

Unrelated to the subject R8500 and Genie. From wally brain, there must be several threads ref. 2.4;GHz WiFi issues - which might be related to the Intel published interference issues between USB 3.0 host, cables, and devices. If using USB 3.0 devices on your router, considers swpping the cables (and prolly the enclosure) to quality USB 3 capable ones.

Message 7 of 8
Chast
Aspirant

No USB devices connected.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements