Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 Device Names

RichDewees
Apprentice

RAX200 Device Names

I hate using the Nighthawk app to change device names and types, but it seems to be the only way to do so.  On initial set up, tha names are limited to a few characters.  When using the Nighthawk app they can be changed for viewing in Security and admin areas.  But, I have one device that seems to always revert to it's standard device name.  It's a ring elite (hardwired) doorbell.  As a super OCD person, this is a nuisance.  Any suggestions?  Is it a device issue of a Netgear issue?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RichDewees, welcome to the community. Have you tried changing the device name/s on the web UI of the router? You can try it by going to the Attached Devices list and click on the Edit option. Also, on the Nighthawk app, please try removing any spaces on the device name and see if the issue will persist.

Dexter

Message 2 of 8
RichDewees
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I tried changing it in admin and secutity sections in the web UI while logged into the router.  At some point the name changes back to RingElite-3c from my preference Front Door Ring Elite.  In fact, it changes without any sort of re-boot of the modem or router.  It just changes.

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RichDewees, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 4 of 8
joe_wht
Luminary

HOW can I change the names and make them STICK?

I'm ready to throw this piece of S*** up agaisnt the wall.

I've chaned the names under the BASIC tab and the ADVANCED tab

once I log out and back in ALL of my F+++++ work is LOST.

Then each day ALL of my deivices looses connection..

( Note:  This includes 8 Security Cams !! )

--- I've NEVER had these problems with my other Netgear Routers..

My last router was the R8500 and it was PERFECT.

ALSO.. There's several pages ( like the Attached Devices & Access Control that you 

CAN NOT CLICK ON . ANY FREAKEN THING !!

and Where's the . Priority Setting for each device ??

SO..  How can I change the names & they STAY

and When will Netgear roll out a . WORKING FIRMWARE / Software UPDATE ??

Message 5 of 8

@joe_wht wrote:

HOW can I change the names and make them STICK?

Then each day ALL of my deivices looses connection..

You seem to have a lot of things going on.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

There is at least one discussion going on with people saying they have fixed the renaming issue with the browser interface. You could also see if the desktop genie for your operating system works.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

Message 6 of 8

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am having the same issue, but quite a few as it pertains to device names. 

1. When turning on and off QoS, it resets the names and icons even within the app.

2. Reboot causes device names to be erased

3. There seems to be some sort of character limitation differences on naming devices between the three different places your name them (Nighthawk App, Attached Devices, and LAN Setup.)

This should just work. I am coming over from an ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 and this RAX200 is a mess. On the ASUS, you name a device Nest Front Door Cam, it shows up that way in the app, the web UI, and where you would assign a static IP address.

Please fix this Netgear, I actually like this router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7