Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random "hello test" notification from nighthawk app

dfects
Tutor

Random "hello test" notification from nighthawk app

I've just received 2 notifications on my phone from the nighthawk app saying "hello test". Clicking on them took me to the nighthawk app login. 

I was away from home at the time, and I don't have remote management enabled... is this a sign my routers been compromised? or just a bug with the app? 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
warrenra8
Guide

Re: Random "hello test" notification from nighthawk app

The text of the screenshot above that matters, in case you don't want to open the image:

"NETGEAR Inc. October 4, 2018:  We are aware of the test notifications that we mistakenly sent out this morning to some of our customers.  These were not intentional, and we apologize for any inconvenience."

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 35

All Replies
VivoAzzurro
Tutor

I've also just gotten those notifications. I immediately came here to see if anyone else has posted anything, but it doesn't seem like it. I made my own thread as well, hopefully someone more knowledgable can answer our questions. 

Message 2 of 35
StackTrace
Tutor

Same here, two "Hello Test" messages, feeling uncomfortable about this

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 35
dfects
Tutor

Wow, at least others have had it. I literally have an AC86u in my amazon basket. Need some word on this from netgear or bye bye r7800

Message 4 of 35
Slotsking
Initiate

Woke up with two notifications at 158am saying hello test prior to this got an email about an update nothing updated. Netgear needs to respond to this as they have had too many issues with router take over. Please respond
Message 5 of 35
Dominion99
Initiate

I also received this message today, very annoying

Message 6 of 35
sdeveer
Tutor

Same message recieved.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 35
Chops42
Initiate

Same here, received two (2) "Hello Test" notifications from my Nighthawk App on Android. The App shows the notification, but gives no information. Never have seen these before. Really need to hear from Netgear what these are?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 35
sdeveer
Tutor

could related to the update being available though...

Message 9 of 35
dfects
Tutor

Not sure what update you mean? My apps not been updated since July and there are none on the play store. The latest update for my router is 1.0.2.58 and was released back in august.

Message 10 of 35
Aquila76
Tutor

Same here. Came through at 4:39am Eastern. Very disheartening to think their app and router may be compromised, again.
Message 11 of 35
Kyle_PHX
Guide

Given all the responses, I find it hard to believe we've all been hacked. Send more likely to me that it was an incorrect text message, maybe the hello test was left over from app development, and was supposed to say "New firmware is available" or something, but there is a coding error and it displayed that generic test message instead.

Also is anyone else seeing this forum acting really glitchy on their phone, if you view it through the Nighthawk app instead of a separate web browser? Really weird stuff like the text getting blurry and selection handles popping up randomly outside the reply field?
Message 12 of 35
robledrew
Apprentice

I received the same two messages. My Nighthawk app recently upgraded on Android. Your suggestion that it is leftover development code is more plausible than any of the "we've been hacked" assumptions, in my opinion.

I'm sure it's benign, and some software developer is going to get ridiculed by his/her peers today in the office!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 13 of 35
mle_ii11
Initiate

Same mysterious notifications with no content. Both router and nighthawk app up to date.
Message 14 of 35
acard811
Initiate

I received 2 messages as well "Hello Test" with no other information.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 35
Aquila76
Tutor

That might be plausible, but my app hasn't updated since July 18. I also don't see any new firmware available for our router since August, which is already installed.
Message 16 of 35
TVGuy
Initiate

Count "me too" in the mysterious Hello Test notification .  It  came in around 4:30 -ish AM EDT.  

My router firmware is and has been up-to-date for a couple of months and the app on my Android phone has not been updated recently.

At least I feel a bit better that others got the same message at the same time . . . .

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 35
sarac
Initiate

I also got the two "hello test" notifications from the Nighthawk app on my Android phone at 4:30 am US Eastern time this morning.  My router has the latest firmware (1.0.4.18).

I don't believe the Nighthawk app on my phone was activated with my account info when the notifications happened last night. So, it hasn't been associated with my Netgear account or with my device, until this morning when I was trying to learn more about why I might have been receiving the notifications.

According to my phone, I installed the Nighthawk app version 2.2.4.397 on July 18, 2018.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 35
JohnGrosshans
Initiate

Russian malware 😉
No it's probably a bug... Probably...
Oh and I got the message too
Message 19 of 35
Skinnejj
Initiate

Firmware v1.3.1.44, App version 2.2.4.397, Model R7000P - got the same "Hello Test" message at 3:39 a.m. Central Time.  Hoping Netgear sends out another message to disregard this message so I can stop wondering what happened.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 20 of 35
scottregb
Initiate

#metoo lol!

It does sound like a dev mistake / bug. So much for feeling secure!

Message 21 of 35
LaRock0wns
Initiate

I received the same two notifications this morning.  The app shows there was a notification, but it doesn't show what the notifications were and why they triggered.    That needs to be fixed.  At least show us why the notification(s) happen.

Message 22 of 35
Jamesom
Guide

Got it too. Really need some communication on this.
Message 23 of 35
Lowtech
Tutor

If over 20 of us have responded in a few hours, you can imagine how many others are either wondering about this or ignoring it.  I tried to send a message to Support to reply at the link site but the only path in that I could find was the Feedback button.  So I guess we wait with a couple of annoying icons on our mobile devices.

Message 24 of 35
warrenra8
Guide

I'll pile on:  I also got a couple of "Hello Test" messages from my Nighthawk app (Android) as soon as I turned on my phone.  Freaked me out a little bit - thought for sure I had been hacked.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Hope that's just a bug!

Message 25 of 35
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7