Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote Management

asabula
Aspirant

Remote Management

We just purchased the AC2400 router. When selecting to enable Remote Management on the Nighthawk app, a message comes up saying “ some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management”. Any tips would be appreciated.
J
Message 1 of 6

Re: Remote Management

@asabula wrote:
When selecting to enable Remote Management on the Nighthawk app, a message comes up saying “ some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management”.

Which one? Android? iThing?

There have been reports of a broken iOS app.

There is support for the AC2400 at the end of this link:

>>>AC2400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Check the section Set Up Remote Management.

Message 2 of 6
asabula
Aspirant

Michael, thank you. I’m using an iPhone. I will check out the link and let you know how it works out. Thanks again
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Have a factory reset R9000, current v1.0.4.26 firmware, and can't enable Remote Administration (as the Genie App does correctly make a difference from the Remote (Web based) Management exposing a port to the wild Internet - while Genie App [current on Android] seems to hang on login) resp. Remote Management (as the Nighthawk App confusingly names it - what ****** are at the controls there with Netgear? You don't understand your own nomenclature!) where the Remote Management slider can be set to on, the notification says it's enabled, but it does slide back immediately - the device can't be enabled for Remote Administration by the Apps.

Remote Administration was working fine before, but I must admit it's not a feature one goes to enable and disable every day. Suspect some problems withe the Apps (see the impossible local login from the Genie App) or with the cloud. QA and engineering failure at it's best.

Oh yes, Netgear - you changed the course 540° changing the naming in the User Manual of that device (I'd wonder what the Web UI says....) for Remote Management vs. Remote Access ... and the Remote Administration term we know and have documented everywhere - here in the community as well as in the Netgear Knowledge Base is gone. Brilliant product management - good example for my next lectures on how to ruin a major brand reputation.

This model User Manual does talk of Set Up Remote Management ... and then on Use Remote Access. Obvious zero quality control on the new documentation. And sorry der @michaelkenward : This section is 100% unrelated to the App based Remote Administration - the port does not have to be exposed to the wild Internet to manage the router by the Apps.

And while we're bashing - sorry Netgear your consumer garage division sucks - there is an URL in thet (very new manual from December 2018):

===

Remotely Access Your Router Using the
Nighthawk App
You can use the Nighthawk app to remotely access your router and change its settings.
Before you can use remote access with the Nighthawk app, you must update your
router’s firmware and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device.
For more information about how to update your router’s firmware, see Check for New
Firmware and Update the Router on page 89.
To download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device, visit Nighthawk-app.com.
===

Not sure on how this should help your customers.

1. You don't tell the users that they have to access the router on the same (W)LAN by the App - what requires a product registration, and then it does give some management on the App.

2. No word where the poor users should enable the App based Remote Administration (you see, I stick with the Genie terms for differentiation) in the App.

3. You provide a dead end URL like a Scam support provider like Nighthawk-app.com - which does redirect to a non-existing http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/AC2400/Nighthawk-app.com - ROFL, a URL just for one model, and then a dead end

File not found."

Netgear you should fire a lot of i*****s. Or at least provide these poor souls some basic training on naming and definitions. And then hire people doing your QA seriously.

@ChristineT @Christian_R  I'm once more disappointed. Blunt failure. In every aspect. I'm tired to provide free problem reports.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Oh Netgear... when opening the AX8 user manual and follow the link to netgear-app.com on p.23 there is a https link https://www.nighthawk-app.com/ ... we end on an insecure site (certificate invalid) and a 

502 Bad Gateway

If this is the "new" Netgear for 2019 @ChristineT @Christian_R then good night! 

PS. Sorry for torpredizing this thread.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Still the same half a year later.

Nighthawk-App.com - Certificate.PNGNighthawk-App.com - 502 Bad Gateway.PNG

What shall I say @ChristineT ?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo