Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router has security questions that I didn’t make

GarrettMoore
Follower

Router has security questions that I didn’t make

I recently moved into a new home and purchased an AC2400. The internet installer hooked up the router while I was at work. Everything has worked fine but i was trying to link the nighthawk app to the router and the admin / password login isn’t working. I haven’t changed it from the default settings. So I went to reset the password and it gave me two security questions that I’ve never seen and didn’t setup. I can’t reset the password because I don’t know the answers. So I can’t login to my router settings.
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Router has security questions that I didn’t make

These routers show some random (or the first) password recovery questions - regardless if ever set-up or not.

If the router was set-up by a third party ... asking there would be an idea.

If you have all details on how to configure the Internet connection (in case there is some encapsulation and/or authentication required) you might want to do a factory reset https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 3

Re: Router has security questions that I didn’t make

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

@GarrettMoore wrote:
The internet installer hooked up the router while I was at work.

I doubt if they will have changed the password without telling you. 

So I can’t login to my router settings.

What is the modem that sits in front of the router? That could cause the behaviour that you see.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7