Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speeds Shown In Nighthawk App

jayel49
Aspirant

Speeds Shown In Nighthawk App

I'm confused with the WiFi Analytics section of this app.

When I check my Internet speed, on the Internet Speed section it's 32.15 Mbps.  When I use the Home Testing tab, on the Wifi Analytics section, to test the conditions in my living room it shows a speed of 433 Mpbs.

It's surely not possible for the speed in my living room to be greater than the overall download speed?  Am I miss-understanding the figures?

Mike

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Speeds Shown In Nighthawk App

@jayel49 wrote:

One section is Internet Speed which registers my download  speed from my ISP as 31.8 Mbps.

You didn't say what speed your ISP is supposed to deliver to you. That measurement should be about the same as that. It is a measure of how fast the data traffic is flowing on the connection.

Another section is Device Manager which shows the speed of the connection between the router and individual devices. One of the devices shows a speed of 423 Mbps.

That is telling you the speed, or Link Rate, of the connection between devices and the router.

It is not telling you anything about the speed of the traffic between those devices.

To test that, run an independent speedtest that uses the wifi connection between the device that the app is installed on.

Here's what I get between an Android tablet and a router.

The Link Rate in Device Manager is 156 Mbps

Speedtest on Nighthawk app Down Mbps 55.9 Up 13.85

Wifi test with Speedtest app Down 20.1 Up  Mbps 13.3

In other words, it is like a motorway. Some cars could travel at 300 mph, faster even. But try it on a bicycle and you would be lucky to get 30 mph.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@jayel49 wrote:

When I check my Internet speed, on the Internet Speed section it's 32.15 Mbps. 

Internet speed section of what? The browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

What hardware are we talking about?

When I use the Home Testing tab, on the Wifi Analytics section, to test the conditions in my living room it shows a speed of 433 Mpbs.

What is this Home Testing tab? Where is this Wifi Analytics section?

Is it testing the speed of the wifi traffic between you and something else? (The speed of an unpaid and download.) Or is it testing the speed at which you device is connected to the wifi source?

Finally, how fast is your internet connection?

@@jayel4 wrote:

I'm confused with the WiFi Analytics section of this app.

Which app? Nighthawk?

That tells the device to check the wired speed that the router delivers to/from your ISP.

@jayel49 wrote:

Am I miss-understanding the figures?

To answer that one, all those questions boil down to two core issues. What are you measuring and how are you measuring it?

Message 2 of 4
jayel49
Aspirant

I'm using the Nighthawk App on my Samsung mobile phone. It has different sections. One section is Internet Speed which registers my download  speed from my ISP as 31.8 Mbps.

Another section is Device Manager which shows the speed of the connection between the router and individual devices. One of the devices shows a speed of 423 Mbps.

My questions is how can the speed between the router and a device be greater than the speed between the router and my ISP or am I understanding the figures incorectly?

Message 3 of 4

@jayel49 wrote:

One section is Internet Speed which registers my download  speed from my ISP as 31.8 Mbps.

You didn't say what speed your ISP is supposed to deliver to you. That measurement should be about the same as that. It is a measure of how fast the data traffic is flowing on the connection.

That is telling you the speed, or Link Rate, of the connection between devices and the router.

It is not telling you anything about the speed of the traffic between those devices.

To test that, run an independent speedtest that uses the wifi connection between the device that the app is installed on.

Here's what I get between an Android tablet and a router.

The Link Rate in Device Manager is 156 Mbps

Speedtest on Nighthawk app Down Mbps 55.9 Up 13.85

Wifi test with Speedtest app Down 20.1 Up  Mbps 13.3

In other words, it is like a motorway. Some cars could travel at 300 mph, faster even. But try it on a bicycle and you would be lucky to get 30 mph.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7