Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Suspicious notification from Nighthawk app "Hello Test"

VivoAzzurro
Tutor

Suspicious notification from Nighthawk app "Hello Test"

I've just gotten a notification from my Nighthawk app on my android device, which read "Hello Test". This happened a short period of time after I had updated my firmware from my mobile app. Prior to this, I had gotten an email from "security@e.netgear.com" letting me know I had an update available. I'm not sure what this notification would have been triggered by, so I've already changed my devices admin password to something even more secure. Could someone explain what that notification was and If I should be worried or not? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
sdeveer
Tutor

I have recieved the same message.

Message 2 of 6
Kyle_PHX
Guide

I had 2 of these this morning that fired off around 2am, the same "Hello Test" message. I also updated firmware (after receiving that) and enabled 2 factor authentication on my account.
Maybe it was supposed to be an in-app notification that new forget was available, that didn't work properly (some bad test code left from development of the app maybe?)
Message 3 of 6
mle_ii11
Initiate

Same here. 2 messages with that "Hello Test" title and no content.
Message 4 of 6
VivoAzzurro
Tutor

After seeing some more responses in another thread, it seems that a lot of people have gotten these notifications as well. Someone mentioned it might have just been a bug, rather than any security issue. Unfortunately no response from Netgear yet, so we'll have to wait and see.  

Message 5 of 6
Nahtebee
Aspirant

Same here. Received two early this morning.
I had checked yesterday for updates after I got an email telling me there was an update available, but when I checked with the app I was already up to date.
Is my router compromised? Has someone hacked it?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7