Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Schedule and Parental Controls

doquyquai
Aspirant

Re: Time Schedule and Parental Controls

@guyguy wrote:

When speaking with OpenDNS support person, they told me that my router could not be identified by them. I did send them my MAC address. I am not sure what that means but I am waiting on there answer.  I have the DNS values already added to the router.  Configuring this router is more of a hassle than it needs to be.  On a Linksys and Asus routers, blocking sites and setting a time schedule is straightforward, very easy and they make it easy.  Everything is done on the router itself.  

On the router, I have set an IP reservation belonging to my iPod. In OpenDNS, I have set a time schedule from 9pm to 9am and filtering set to HIGH.  I am not sure that is restricting internet access to my iPod and the filtering is working as it should.  At 8pm, my iPod is set to HIGH for filtering but I am still able to access FB or Youtube or Movie Star Planet.  Netflix still comes up and I can watch a movie. I am not sure that filtering is working properly on devices.

My two goals: 

1) I need to be able to set filters to block social media (FB, Twitter, KIK, etc..), movie streaming (Netflix, Youtube) and games (Movie Star Planet) PER device on an HOURLY basis. If I don't want my daughter to access Netflix for two hours in the afternoon, I should be able to make that quick restriction and it takes immediate affect on ALL of her devices. After two hours pass, I can grant her Netflix access. 

2) I need to be able to set a time schedule PER device on an HOURLY basis. I need the ability to set a time schedule to block internet access after 9pm on certain devices.  During the day, if I don't want my 2nd daughter to have internet access on ALL devices, again, I should be able to make the quick restriction to block time on all of the devices. After an hour or two has passed, I can grant her access on her devices.

I am able to achieve both goals on a Linksys and Asus rotuers. Without any trouble or delays, I can block sites and time to certain devices without affecting the rest of the devices in the home. I don't understand why is it so complicated on a Netgear router. 

I totally agree!!! I have the Nighthawk R8500 and I'm very frustrated to find the settings to cut off my kids' internet from 10pm to 6am the next morning. That is so simple to do with Asus routers! But why NOT Netgear?? This WILL be my last Netgear router for me!! I will NEVER buy Netgear again!! Very angry and disappointmented. One of my other option I need is "Wake ON LAN" on Netgear routers but I cannot find it! 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 26 of 30
etorgeson
Aspirant

Hello Dexter.  I know I am late to the party here (and my Nighthawk R7000 router is not even in th dropdown menu so maybe this is an obsoleter thread) but I am writing to check up on whether or not Netgear was ever able to update the parent controls so that after assigning a fixed IP address to a device one could set a schedule for blocking internet use that allowed for multiple time periods of blocking in the same day, and differentiated between days of the week.  The last I read on this forum only a single time frame was allowed, and this applied to a select number of days or to all days.  That is rather prehistoric.

Eli

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 30
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @etorgeson,

Welcome to the community!

You may look into the Circle feature of the R7000 instead. The links below may help in giving an overview.

http://www.netgear.com/landings/circle/

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000372251

https://kb.netgear.com/000038873/

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 28 of 30
bob1057
Aspirant

that would be great if i didnt already own the device.  I spent alot of money to redo my entire home network,  firewall, ap, and 5 managed switiches just have have it downgraded.  If i buy anything again, it wont be netgear.

why cant the parent controls work when the router is off and it just acts as an ap?  or put the same parent controls in your firewall code?

Message 29 of 30

@bob1057 wrote:

why cant the parent controls work when the router is off and it just acts as an ap?  or put the same parent controls in your firewall code?

I must be missing something here.

The idea of parental controls is to allow users to set rules for people on their local network.

If the router is off, there is no local network to control.

Control of devices when they are not attached to the network is really down to whatever those devices connect to.

Message 30 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7