Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade on genie freezes the whole system.

ranger1
Aspirant

Upgrade on genie freezes the whole system.

Upgrade on genie freezes the whole system. Router crashes everyday. Some time 2 to 3 times a day. Very disappointed with it.

Message 1 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you say ‘Upgrade on genie’ do you mean you upgraded the router firmware, or you upgraded the Genie App on your PC?

If you upgraded the router firmware then you should perform a factory reset (after first noting any settings), then re-enter settings manually (don’t use a saved configuration from an earlier version of firmware).

If you upgraded the Genie App on a PC then this should not affect the router stability, especially when that PC is powered down.
Message 2 of 7
ranger1
Aspirant

Hi Andy. Ever since i got this 4300, it has lost connection with the internet. most days, it will go down once. In the last 5 days, it has done this 2-3 times a day. some days it's down when I get up at about 4:30 AM. It will go down again in the middle of the day.

Back to the freezes. After it went down yesterday and finally came back up, I notice that there was an upgrade to genie and it said click here. i did and it went thru a few things then it went to the install. It stopped moving over (the green line showing how much had been done) just after it started and would not going any farther. It then grayed out where I could not do anything. Finally after waiting a long time thinking it might go, I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer.
Message 3 of 7
kaygee46
Initiate

ranger1 wrote:
there was an upgrade to genie and it said click here. i did and it went thru a few things then it went to the install. It stopped moving over (the green line showing how much had been done) just after it started and would not going any farther. It then grayed out where I could not do anything. Finally after waiting a long time thinking it might go, I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer.

Me too! Even tried manual uninstall of Genie but it still freezes and grays out all the buttons leaving a hard shut down and reboot the only option.
Message 4 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ranger1, it seems that you updated the Genie App on the PC, or at least tried to. But what you describe in your first paragraph is a wireless issue with the router, Your seem to have two problems. I have the Genie App on my PC, but generally I don’t use it, instead I just use a web browser to log into the router directly. Have you tried that method? For the Genie App on the PC, try uninstalling it, then download the App from the Netgear ‘Download’ area and make a clean install.
Message 5 of 7
ranger1
Aspirant

Babylon5. The genie software installed when I turned on the router when i purchased it. What happens to all of my settings and so on when i uninstall. I had a hell of a time getting it to work at first and getting it to recognize my wireless printer. Does it reset the name and password back to the original ones that came with the router. I am not a computer whiz so I am a little afraid to do that. You mention signing into the router itself. Is that hard to do???
Message 6 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All router settings are stored in the router, and using the Genie App is optional (I’m not saying that you were wrong to install it). The router is a network device that does not require a controlling PC, the Genie App does not control the router, it is just a convenient way to configure and monitor the router. It is of course quite possible for the PC with the Genie App to be powered down and disconnected from the network, and another PC could be used to log into the router Admin pages via a web browser, even though that PC does not have the Genie App installed.

So the short answer is that you should be able to uninstall / reinstall the Genie App without losing any router settings.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7