Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700 and Samsung TV: wifi but no Internet

RussNZ
Aspirant

WNDR3700 and Samsung TV: wifi but no Internet

After a power cut (which was less than 1 minute) the router has re-set but cannot connect the TV with internet (but connects to TV). All other devices, Ipad, Iphones, PS4 all work fine. Was working fine prior to power cut.

Any help gratefully accepted as am at a loss what to do.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WNDR3700 and Samsung TV: wifi but no Internet

Hi @RussNZ,

Welcome to the community!

Is the TV connecting via wired or wireless? You can try forgetting the network on the TV and manually re-connect it via its menus.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 11
RussNZ
Aspirant

Hi - it is connecting via wireless. Unfortunately the tv doesn’t allow forgetting of connection. I have noticed that from time to time iPad is timing out. The router might be failing altogether.
Message 3 of 11

@RussNZ wrote:
Unfortunately the tv doesn’t allow forgetting of connection.

What is the model of this TV?

I have used several Samsung smart devices. There is always a reset option somewhere,. But Samsung is not good at flagging up these things.

Message 4 of 11
RussNZ
Aspirant

Series 8 55" Q8 QLED 4K TV*

QA55Q8FNAWXXY

Have been to the retailer and they were unable to find 'forget' function. Notably the wifi for the other devices is now dropping out intermittently and an orange light is lighting on and off.

Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Define "an orange light" - consult your WNDR3700 version specific Setup Manual/Installtion Guide/User Manual (e.g. WNDR3700 (v1) Setup Manual), p.3/4 Table 1. Status Light Descriptions ) FMI.

Message 6 of 11

@RussNZ wrote:

Have been to the retailer and they were unable to find 'forget' function.

Oh dear, that is worrying. Not about the TV but ab out the dealer.

It is not "forget" so much as "reset".

Have you approached Samsung for help?

The manual is here:

Series 8 55" Q8 QLED 4K TV* | Samsung Support Australia

It has a section Resetting Your Network.

There are also instructions for how to Reset Smart Hub which seems to be related to network settings.

You don't say if you have actually got into the TV's controls to enter the details for your wifi.

Have you tried using WPS to reestablish the link?

Find that in the manual on the page linked above.

And, as @schumaku suggests, telling us about an orange light provides little useful information without telling what device the light is on and what it is supposed to indicate.

Message 7 of 11
RussNZ
Aspirant

Re: R7000 and Samsung TV: wifi but no Internet

Hi.

Apologies re: orange light detail - it is amber meaning that the speed is 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections. Curious becuase we are on 'ultrafast broardband connection'. The light alternates between amber and white.

Thank you for the manual references, they were helpful.

I have re-set the TV connection but this has made no difference / Have contacted Samsung direct who want to factory re-set the TV, however I am reluctant to do this on account of the performance issues of the R7000 as follows:

• The TV states it is connected to the router but there is no internet connection.
  • Other wireless devices are connecting and accessing internet - however, all are experiencing either very slow internet or timing out / no connection (whilst showing full connection to the router). I have been running my iPhone solely on wifi and another iPad with only wifi functionality - both regularly time out or say they are not connected to internet and after 30 seconds to a minute magically start working fine.

I'm clearly not an expert but it feels like the powercut has caused a change in settings of the router(?).

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 11

@RussNZ wrote:

Apologies re: orange light detail - it is amber meaning that the speed is 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections. Curious becuase we are on 'ultrafast broardband connection'.

The colour has nothing to do with your internet service. (Lucky bugger to have that speed.) It is about the technology in the TV. It doesn't need GB speeds, even for HD stuff, so the people who designed it stuck with the cheaper 100 Mbps standard. (They do the same thing with wifi. 2.4 GHz rather than 5GHz, because it is more than fast enough and travels further.)

That's fine. You can ignore that LED. PLug in something fast and it will be white.

@RussNZ wrote:

however, all are experiencing either very slow internet or timing out / no connection (whilst showing full connection to the router). I have been running my iPhone solely on wifi and another iPad with only wifi functionality - both regularly time out or say they are not connected to internet and after 30 seconds to a minute magically start working fine.

That may be the heart if the problem. Something amiss in the router. Fix that and the TV may play ball.

I'd start from scratch and try to sort that one out. Maybe something is bust. Med it and the TV may play ball again.

This brings us back to two bits in your first message. It talks about two things. WNDR3700 (subject) and R7000 (footer). That turns into R7000 lower down. What do you own?

The R7000 is in firmware hell for some people. But we don't know which version you have. What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I'm clearly not an expert but it feels like the powercut has caused a change in settings of the router(?).

I have bad news for you. Many of the volunteers here, including me, can't claim to be experts. We've just seen a lot of problems over the years and can sometimes spot likely  causes.

Message 9 of 11
RussNZ
Aspirant

Yeah, apologies - the unit is an R7000 - I am not sure how the other model ended up in subject line.

I will find out what version of firmware we are running and revert. (what is the best way to find this out?). Will also revert with details of the set up of the unit - I am at work atm.

Thank you

Message 10 of 11

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Look at the section Update the Router Firmware.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7