Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3700v4 parental controls won't sign in

xtrap225
Tutor

WNDR3700v4 parental controls won't sign in

after years of happy use, i cannot login to the parental controls through genie anymore.

i have tried the latest versions(and a few older versions) on mac, windows, and android.

i think it happened after the latest of the many firmware updates.

i can login to the netgear.opendns.com page no problem

but genie just says "there was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the internet and try again"

unless anyone has a better idea, the only thing i have yet to try is to downgrade the firmware, which certainly mean forgoing the latest security updates.

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
xtrap225
Tutor

i bought an r8500 and its soooooo ugly but it works great so far

took my old wndr3700v4 and flashed it to DD-WRT v3.0-r35667 std (04/04/18) and had to set it to client mode because 'client bridge' won't work due to the mac address translation, which makes the bridge and the client computer show as the same mac address.

now i just need to figure out how to route the r8500 192.168.1.x network to the dd-wrt client 192.168.2.x network and i will be super happy.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Can you get in through the direct route?

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Message 2 of 5
xtrap225
Tutor

yes

Message 3 of 5
xtrap225
Tutor

i tried downgrading my firmware both to WNDR3700v4-V1.0.2.94.img and when that didn't work at all just like the latest, i tried WNDR3700v4-V1.0.2.88.img.

now this will allow me to enable the feature from the android device but it ends up blocking all dns requests, and i still can't make changes to the parental controls, and i can't activate the bypass accounts via the genie software.

basically it breaks my internet, so i am back to using opendns like a regular schlub.

looks like my only hope is to buy a new router and hope that it actually works still on a new version of the router, and flash my old netgear with dd-wrt and use it as a better bridge for my sons desktop.

Message 4 of 5
xtrap225
Tutor

i bought an r8500 and its soooooo ugly but it works great so far

took my old wndr3700v4 and flashed it to DD-WRT v3.0-r35667 std (04/04/18) and had to set it to client mode because 'client bridge' won't work due to the mac address translation, which makes the bridge and the client computer show as the same mac address.

now i just need to figure out how to route the r8500 192.168.1.x network to the dd-wrt client 192.168.2.x network and i will be super happy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7