Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where to download nighthawk-app for windows 10?

pine_tree
Tutor

Where to download nighthawk-app for windows 10?

Does anyone know a safe website where I can download a no virus nighhawk-app for a PC running Widows 10?

It is strange that netgear doesn't provide any weblink for its custmers to download such an app so that its R6080 wifi router can be used by a PC.

Thank you in advance. 

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23
microchip8
Master

you don't need apps. all you need is a browser and go to http://192.168.1.1 to use the router's Web GUI

Message 2 of 23
pine_tree
Tutor

Thank you so much!

I will try it right away. The tech support should have offered this solution in its website under the title how a PC to use netgear's wifi router. 

By the way, where should I find the router's web GUI? What should I do about your following info?

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel firmware 1.0.2.72SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Powerline: 2x NETGEAR PL1000
Storage: Custom-built Linux system

Message 3 of 23
pine_tree
Tutor

Re: Where to download nighthawk-app for windows 10? Solution found!

It is indeed that Windows10 doesn't need any nighthawk-app-for-Windows10 in order for the netgear wifi router to work. Here is how to let Windows10 find the wifi signal.

1. Power up your netgear wifi router that is connected to the internet modem.

2. then you wil see the (((. symbol appear at the bottom-right conner of your PC's screen. Symbol (((. represents the existance of the wifi signal.

3. use your mouse to click on this symbol, then a list of the wifi signals will come up.

4. click the wifi signal that is generated by your router, then input the password of your router. Wala, right away your PC is connecting to the internet.

Message 4 of 23
ssnow73
Initiate

@microchip8 wrote:

you don't need apps. all you need is a browser and go to http://192.168.1.1 to use the router's Web GUI

you are wrong about apps vs. the gui.  apps are built for novices and for convenience.  so easy to see what is connected to your router, changing passwords, speed test, rebooting, etc.  netgear just needs to have the app built for a pc.  

Message 5 of 23
microchip8
Master

@ssnow73 wrote:

@microchip8 wrote:

you are wrong about apps vs. the gui.  apps are built for novices and for convenience.  so easy to see what is connected to your router, changing passwords, speed test, rebooting, etc.  netgear just needs to have the app built for a pc.  

All of that you can do with the Web GUI as well. NETGEAR's apps are very inconsistent and buggy. That's why I suggested to use the Web GUI

Message 6 of 23
labatt
Mentor

Besides what it stated above, don't do firmware updates via the app. Lots of bricked routers from people doing that. Bricked means router firmware is corrupt and then you have to go through a process that is not easy to recover. 

Message 7 of 23
BallzD33p
Initiate

Yes...... we all now you can plug in your default gateway ip address  into the URL bar to access the routers GUI.... but what if you were using 2 routers and or using the seond one as an access point... then your method falls short..... thats why we are looking specifically for an application

Message 8 of 23
LeverTech
Initiate

I think what we are getting at here is that we want an app for windows 10, same as a celll phone app(hopefully better).  The same overlay, data graphs, alerts...

Why isn't Netgear doing this?

Or am I just drunk and can't find it? 

Message 9 of 23
KenLaMontagne
Initiate

I am hving trouble. The http://192.168.1.1 and the http://routerlogin.net are not working.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 10 of 23

@KenLaMontagne wrote:

I am hving trouble. The http://192.168.1.1 and the http://routerlogin.net are not working.

Does this have anything to do with the subject of this conversation?

Where to download nighthawk-app for windows 10?

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 11 of 23

That's a completely different question from the subject of this discussion. But since you ask, the answer is easy and can be found many times around here.

Find the IP address that your router has allocated to the AP. (The router will tell you, or the Nighthawk app or any other device that knows what is on your network.) Then feed that IP address into a browser. 

Leap back in amazement as the browser graphical user interface (GUI) jumps into view.

Message 12 of 23
kizzelwhix
Initiate

I'm also looking for the genie/nighthawk software - while I can configure most things via the web GUI, the use of parental controls wants me to download the genie software (which I cannot find a legit source for). Unless there's some other way to configure the parental controls from the web gui (which I havn't seen yet). I'm running the latest firmware.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 13 of 23

@kizzelwhix wrote:

I'm also looking for the genie/nighthawk software...

If you are looking for an app for your mobile device, go to the appropriate Android/iPhone store. But neither supports parental controls.

Maybe you mean the desktop genie program. (There is no Nighthawk program.) If so, try this:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

or

DOWNLOAD PC

Another bolthole: 

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Message 14 of 23
schwerz
Aspirant

After much frushtration trying on Chrome and Edge, I wnet with the Internet Exploler Browser. That worked!

Message 15 of 23

@schwerz wrote:

After much frushtration trying on Chrome and Edge, I wnet with the Internet Exploler Browser. That worked!

They all work here. Firefox too.

Something in your settings?

Message 16 of 23

Link spam. Reported.

Ignore the meaningless message.

Message 17 of 23
opti64
Aspirant

use the old netgear gene it works for me

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

NH app is a phone or pad supporting app. Not supported on Windows or Mac OSs. 

Message 19 of 23

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NH app is a phone or pad supporting app. Not supported on Windows or Mac OSs. 

The question, well one of then, was also about the genie desktop software:

I'm also looking for the genie/nighthawk software -

See advice for details of where to get that.

Be warned that it comes wrapped in a rar file.

You'd almost think that Netgear wants to make it impossible to find and use.

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I think that maybe NG maybe wanting to depreciate the older Genie app. 

Message 21 of 23

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I think that maybe NG maybe wanting to depreciate the older Genie app. 

I reached that conclusion some years ago.

It is why I try to follow its progress down the labyrinth that is the support website.

It is  a shame  because the desktop genie has several advantages over the browser graphical user interface (GUI), not least the alert when something joins the network..

Find it here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Current version 2.4.64 from 2020.

Message 22 of 23
vickey
Aspirant

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 54 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7