Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which models truly work with the nighthawk app to reboot remotely?

twaw001
Tutor

Which models truly work with the nighthawk app to reboot remotely?

I'm looking to get a new router but it must be able to reboot remotely, for a 2nd home.  I have an AC1750 Nighthawk that's about 4 years old, and I can never get it to reboot using the app.  From what I can gather online, that feature was disabled in my model, I think due to security concerns. I only found this out after updating the firmware, which of course disabled the remote reboot via web function, and it just wouldn't work on the app at all.  

If you are CURRENTLY successfully rebooting with the Nighthawk app, AND you have current firmware, please let me know your model.  Looking all over the internet for models that truly work well for this scenario, and having a hard time getting conclusive answers.  Many thanks for the help!

Tom

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Which models truly work with the nighthawk app to reboot remotely?

So cheat. 

Buy a simple smart switch that you can plug the router into and set a schedule for the switch for turning on/off. 

I've seen that used for a reboot process for devices without a reboot ability. 

Message 2 of 8

@twaw001 wrote:

I have an AC1750 Nighthawk that's about 4 years old, and I can never get it to reboot using the app. 

AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

I only found this out after updating the firmware, which of course disabled the remote reboot via web function...

Does this mean that you are using a PC to attempt the reboot? That is what Netgear is removing for security reasons.

it just wouldn't work on the app at all.  

What have you tried to try to fix this? What does "wouldn't work" mean? What happens when you try?

I ask because this is not a common complaint. I can't recall seeing it before.

If you are CURRENTLY successfully rebooting with the Nighthawk app, AND you have current firmware, please let me know your model.  Looking all over the internet for models that truly work well for this scenario, and having a hard time getting conclusive answers. 

The R7800 and R7000P both reboot with the Nighthawk app, both locally and with a remote connection.

Message 3 of 8

@plemans wrote:

Buy a simple smart switch that you can plug the router into and set a schedule for the switch for turning on/off. 

Does @twaw001 want a scheduled reboot or an "on demand" option?

Would a smart switch allow that?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward Depends on the intention/goal. No app/switch is going to work if the device is off line. And most switches you can set with a schedule for on/off. It'd be pretty easy to program a schedule for turning off and then back on in 1 minute with the schedule deactivated until you needed it. 

Message 5 of 8
twaw001
Tutor

Thanks for the replies. The model that I couldn't get to work on the app is the r6700. Yeah, I looked at smart switches but all but the more expensive ones work over Wi-Fi, which doesn't help me if the router is down. The specific problem that I've encountered is when there's a power outage and internet outage, the power comes back on, but the internet doesn't come back on until later. Sometimes in those situations the router won't function unless it's rebooted. So in those situations I don't think a Wi-Fi smart plug is going to help me. I'll take a look at the two models mentioned above. Again thanks for the info!
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can get pretty cheap backup power supplies that'll run a modem/router for quite a while. 

Might be a good option so it doesn't drop when the power dies. 

Usually it doesn't come back on right away because the modem needs to boot up first and then the router (atter a period). 

Using a backup might fix it

Message 7 of 8

@twaw001 wrote:
The specific problem that I've encountered is when there's a power outage and internet outage, the power comes back on, but the internet doesn't come back on until later.

Remote access will not work in those circumstances. Nor will smart plugs. Both need an Internet connection to give you an IP address that tunnel into from the outside world.

The real question is why the router does not re-establish an Internet connection.

I am not convinced that any other router would be better. It maybe the modem at the start of the chain that is the issue. I had similar problems when using a D6400 in modem only mode. It took so long to establish an Internet connection that the router behind it, an R7800, timed out,

My solution was to ditch the D6400 for a DM200 modem-only box that did not hang around before establishing the connection.

You could try experimenting with your devices while you are there to observe what is happening and can pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7