Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which router am I connecting to?

sjm2
Aspirant

Which router am I connecting to?

During Nighthawk setup, I think I named my new Nighthawk router by the same name as the old Verizon router. Now, only the old Verizon router network name appears under Wifi options on my remote devices. Is that possible? How can I tell whether I'm connecting to the new Nighthawk router or the old Verizon router?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Which router am I connecting to?

@sjm2 wrote:

How can I tell whether I'm connecting to the new Nighthawk router or the old Verizon router?

Does this mean that you now have two routers?

If so, it is anyone's guess as to what is going on at your end.

It isn't usually a good idea to try running two routers side by side.

Is your question about the router of the Nighthawk App? If you want to talk about the router, try the appropriate section:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@sjm2 wrote:

During Nighthawk setup, I think I named my new Nighthawk router by the same name as the old Verizon router. Now, only the old Verizon router network name appears under Wifi options on my remote devices. Is that possible?

Bet you talk abut the wireless network name (SSID) and probably you have configured the same wireless security key (WPA2-PSK) - what makes sense from the continuity, so there are no config changes required on the many wireless devices. Yes, that's the way it is - normal wireless clients don't make a difference, and consider these to connect to the same network. What makes perfect sense by the way, think about bigger wireless installations with many access points.

@sjm2 wrote:

How can I tell whether I'm connecting to the new Nighthawk router or the old Verizon router?

You can't based on the wireless name.  Few clients show the radio MAC (BSSID) the client is currently connected to. a possible differentiation might be the TCP/IP subnetwork, unless both routers use the same. Best idea to start with would be to disable the ISP router wireless.

Message 3 of 6

@schumaku wrote:

@sjm2 wrote:

During Nighthawk setup, I think I named my new Nighthawk router by the same name as the old Verizon router. Now, only the old Verizon router network name appears under Wifi options on my remote devices. Is that possible?

Bet you talk abut the wireless network name (SSID)

It can also be how a router shows up as a device in Windows.

Message 4 of 6
sjm2
Aspirant

The new Netgear router is connected via LAN port to the old Verizon router. During Nighthawk app setup I was asked to name the new Netgear router. I then gave it the same name and password as the old Verizon router. So, I believe I am connecting my wireless devices to the new Netgear router, even though it has the old Verizon router's network name. How can I verify that I am connecting to the new Netgear router?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 6

We still don't know enough. I can see now that the "name" that you gave the new router may not be the SSID. When setting up a new router you also have the option to change the name is displays in file manager when you browse your network.

Look at the section Change the Router’s Device Name in the manual

There is a manual for the R8000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

If this is the Device Name we are talking about, you should be able to get in and change it as instructed.

@sjm2 wrote:

How can I verify that I am connecting to the new Netgear router?

Connecting how? LAN? Wifi? Probably wifi, but who knows?

Back to basics, why are you running two routers? Is "the old Verizon router" your modem connection to the Internet? If so, is it really a modem/router or just a  modem? (People sometimes confuse these things and you haven'l told us a model number for the Verizon, so we are left guessing.)

The questions about the Verizon router may be important in trying to unravel exactly what is happening on our network.

An easy way to test which wifi sources you see could be to turn them off. The R8000 has a WiFi On/Off button on the top. Maybe the anonymous Verizon box does too.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7