Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Analytics Android app

JoulesM
Tutor

WiFi Analytics Android app

{05/20/21 @ 13:33 EDT}
Product: Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 downloaded from Google Play Store

I purchased and installed the WN3000RP extender. The manual suggested downloading the WiFi analytics Android app. I downloaded the app and was pleased with its testing capabilities. Unfortunately, after a few days, my smartphone updated its software to Android 10, Release 21-04-13. After the update, the WiFi analytics Android app no longer functioned. The top of the app displayed, "Connected to: Not Connected." I uninstalled then reinstalled the app without success. The phone is connected to my Netgear WNR2000 Router because the Speedtest app functions and I can browse with the Chrome app. Can you help with this issue?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JoulesM
Tutor

{05/22/21 @ 17:48 EDT}

I found the source of my problem. The Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 works fine on my new phone using Android 10, Release 21-04-13.

I was using another person's phone when I first used the app. When I obtained my new phone, the app did not function on it. One of the other apps that I tried persistently requested that I set my Location. This was the problem. When I set the location so the other app would function, Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 also functioned. 

The problem was that I had not set the Location Permission correctly on my new phone.

In summary, the overall problem was the USER and not the tech!

Thank you Netgear for a great app.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@JoulesM wrote:

{05/20/21 @ 13:33 EDT}
I purchased and installed the WN3000RP extender.

That model first appeared in 2011. Devices produced a decade ago can get left behind by updates that leave them stranded.

There hasn't been a firmware update since 2016. Updates and apps go hand in hand.

@JoulesM wrote:

The phone is connected to my Netgear WNR2000 Router because the Speedtest app functions and I can browse with the Chrome app.

The WNR2000, from 2009, is even older.

Sadly, expecting all these things to work with an Android 10 device from "21-04-13" – which I assume to be 2021 and not 2013, you can never tell with Netgear – is probably unrealistic.

You may be able to find some other app out there from some other source, but Netgear usually throws in the towel when it signs some off as "EOL" (end of life).

I would be more worried that the wifi from an WNR2000 or WN3000RP, not to mention their security,  would crippled the performance of my Android kit, or anything else that i have on my network. These devices don't have gigabit LAN Ethernet por WAN, so any Internet service faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money. No 5 GHz wifi either.

So worrying about an Android app might be a bit less important than these other features.

Message 2 of 6
JoulesM
Tutor

{05/22/12 @ 16:37 EDT}

Thanks for the information. You may have solved my problem.

In clarification, my date writen as '21-04-13' translates to April 13, 2021 not 2013 as you suggested. The year-first format works best for my sorting algorithms.

Your comment on my Netgear WNR2000 Router could be spot on. I used my Netgear WNDR3400 Router with the app days before. So it may be the router and not the updated Android 10 Release that is the source of my problem. The Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 did work with my WN3000RP Extender while I was using my WNDR3400 Router.

Does this make sense to you? If so, I can test the app with the WNDR3400 Router when I return to my other location. Let me know if you can. Thank you.

Message 3 of 6

@JoulesM wrote:

{05/22/12 @ 16:37 EDT}

In clarification, my date writen as '21-04-13' translates to April 13, 2021 not 2013 as you suggested. The year-first format works best for my sorting algorithms.

As I said, I assumed that you meant 2021. Unfortunately, Netgear has a habit of using US style dates that don't sort at all well and don.t make much sense to us foreigners. Just look at the their release notes! And when the heck is 05/20/21?

@JoulesM wrote:

Does this make sense to you? If so, I can test the app with the WNDR3400 Router when I return to my other location. Let me know if you can. Thank you.

Sort of. The Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 works here. But I am on Android 9.1.

But I don't have any network hardware as old as yours.

Message 4 of 6
JoulesM
Tutor

{05/22/21 @ 17:48 EDT}

I found the source of my problem. The Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 works fine on my new phone using Android 10, Release 21-04-13.

I was using another person's phone when I first used the app. When I obtained my new phone, the app did not function on it. One of the other apps that I tried persistently requested that I set my Location. This was the problem. When I set the location so the other app would function, Netgear WiFi Analytics App Version 1.0.19 also functioned. 

The problem was that I had not set the Location Permission correctly on my new phone.

In summary, the overall problem was the USER and not the tech!

Thank you Netgear for a great app.

Message 5 of 6

Crikey. That's an odd one. You did well to track it down.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7