Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 not compatible with Genie, does anyone ACTUALLY have a fix???

skunkylouou
Aspirant

Windows 10 not compatible with Genie, does anyone ACTUALLY have a fix???

I just updated my microsoft laptop to Windows 10 because I was stuck with 8.1 for so long, super stoked until I went to redownload Genie as it got deleted a little bit after the update, and now it won't even freaking work with windows 10. The new update SUCKS seeing as it's no compatible with the latest tech for windows.... is there any actual fixes? I've gone through discussion after discussion and nothing actually works or it is not found. HELP!!

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @skunkylouou,

We apologize for the inconvenience since the cause of the issue was just recently discovered. Rest assured, we are working on a fix for the future updates. Have you tried the temporary work around? If not, you may follow the steps below.

1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin

3. Delete the drivers folder.

4. Download the drivers from the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUbmxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.

6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin

7. Paste the drivers folder.

8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 21

All Replies
Geekslayer
Aspirant

I'm running Windows 10 (64 bit), and Genie seems to run well. I didn't go the upgrade

path to Windows 10 though, hopefully that didn't mess things up for you.

Message 2 of 21
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @skunkylouou,

We apologize for the inconvenience since the cause of the issue was just recently discovered. Rest assured, we are working on a fix for the future updates. Have you tried the temporary work around? If not, you may follow the steps below.

1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin

3. Delete the drivers folder.

4. Download the drivers from the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUbmxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.

6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin

7. Paste the drivers folder.

8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 21
agoetz5201
Aspirant

Your fix does not work...  Crashes once the GUI loads.

Message 4 of 21
skunkylouou
Aspirant

Thank you so much. It's working flawlessly. 

Message 5 of 21
kyle102806
Initiate

I got mine to work.  Follow the directions that were listed and delete the old drivers folder.  Download and unzip the new drivers.  The unzipped folder will have two files.  Delete the NETGEAR_PLC_L2_API.dll file.  Paste the driver folder with just the libntgr_api.dll file in the driver folder.  That should do it.

Message 6 of 21
wholyn
Aspirant

Dexter,

I am assuming that the fix did not work since the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUb​mxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

is nolonger available. 

Hope someone gets their act together.  Genie works just fine on the Dell win10 desktop that I installed it on the day I got my Netgear R7000 router,  5 Feb 2016.  But on the new Dell 7000 laptop, That I installed it on, on 10 Feb 2016, Genie starts and then windows error message comes up and shuts Genie down. I am able to log-in to my router.  There are lots if references to this problem in the community but they get closed before a real solution is found.  Several people mention that Genie is working on their desktop but not the laptop. 

Keep trying to solve this!

Message 7 of 21
skunkylouou
Aspirant

Wholyn.... it actually did work, perfectly actuallu and is still running like a champ.
Obviously they are working to fix it as mine works now??? Be patient, these things are a process and I doubt you could do it any better.
They have a lot more things to do than just this, and I am sure they are WELL AWARE of the problem. Post your own thread and they'll get back to you with a solition.
Message 8 of 21
drraz
Aspirant

Replacing the drivers folder worked for me in Win10. Thanks

Message 9 of 21
drraz
Aspirant

Although the application stays open now, it still doesn't let me access the router. 

2015-02-19 Netgear error.jpg

Message 10 of 21
scmgr3
Aspirant

I just installed the AC1750 Wifi router (Model 6400) on my network.  All PCs are running Windows10 64-bit.  One is a desktop and two are laptops.  There are othr devices connected wirlessly - a CapTel telephone, two Droid wireless telephones and a B&N Nook device. I sucessfully installed Network Genie on both laptops (which have wireless cards) but when I install on the desktop (no wireless card) the app installs and launches but then hangs with the main window open.  It does not repsond to any action.  I have to bring up the windows task manager and manually force it to close.  I have unistalled and reinstalled multiple times.  Normally one laptop on the desktop are connected by ethernet cables to the router and one laptop runs wireless. 

Any suggestions?

Message 11 of 21
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @drraz,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of the router?

2. Have you tried using another device/computer?

3. Have you tried resetting the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 21
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @scmgr3,

Have you tried performing the work around that was previously posted? If not, I recommend doing so. Please keep us posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 21
woodsod
Aspirant

Worked perfectly!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much.

R7000 Nighthawk router, netgear switches, powerline ......

Message 14 of 21
RWeeden
Aspirant

This does not work even when installing as administrator on the system.

Message 15 of 21
RFox131
Aspirant

I tried the solution posted to no avail. I reinstalled the old version and it worked immediately.  This needs a real fix not a hack that makes people nervous (or should) and doesn't always work to boot.

Message 16 of 21
Omega45679
Aspirant

I have tried the fix suggested here several times without success.  Genie used to work prior to upgrading to Windows 10, 64 bit.

Open the app and it stops working immediately.

I have another HP 17" laptop that I updated as well but it works just fine with Genie.

Help?

Roger

Omega45679@gmail.com

Message 17 of 21
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Omega45679,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 21
Omega45679
Aspirant

Dex, that fix has yet today work for me. I have tried it again few times. I even tried the suggestion of deleting references in the registry then doing its again. Nothing has worked.

Roger
Message 19 of 21
Frankeboy
Aspirant

Help! - My Genie program now crashes right after opening. I have tryed to reinstall and also followed your fix with getting the previous drivers. Still with the same result. My Genie program only worked after the initial install about a month ago. See enclosed screen-cut. My pc is Lenovo ideapad 100 with Windows 10:NetgearGenie_stop.png

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 20 of 21
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Frankeboy,

Please make sure that you delete the drivers folder and replace it completely instead of overwriting it or just replacing the contents of the folder.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7