Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't print after firmware update

michelynn
Aspirant

can't print after firmware update

I just did a firmware update for my R7000 router and now I can't print. The printer keeps trying to connect to the network.  I can see it trying to connect in Netgear Genie but it keeps popping on and off the network so I'm guessing something is now blocking it.  I'm using eset Smart Security and the printer is allowed by eset.  I can see it on eset network tools but the network address is not the same.  Before the update eset showed my network by the Netgear name.  Now it only shows it by IP address.(dnslp:192.168.1.1 ....

It it totally bogus that Netgear makes you pay to talk to them when their firmware update messes things up.  I don't think I'll be buying a Netgear product again.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

@michelynn wrote:

I just did a firmware update for my R7000 router and now I can't print.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix things a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

You could also try setting up the printer again.

It it totally bogus that Netgear makes you pay to talk to them when their firmware update messes things up.  I don't think I'll be buying a Netgear product again.

I wouldn't use the word bogus, more like a scam.

Message 2 of 8
michelynn
Aspirant

thanks for the quick reply.  I don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to because then I would have to spend hours reconfiguring it.  I have special passwords, guest networks, etc.  I rebooted everything, and it seems to be working as long as my laptop is on wifi and not plugged directly into the router.

Bogus  Scam  whatever you call it it is BS that they don't give tech support for their firmware updates.  I will never recomend or buy Netgear again.

Message 3 of 8
William10a
Master

The only different I can see between plugging to computer direct into the network and using by wifi and the printer not working when plug into the network the computer is connecting direct to the printer via wifi when wifi. When direct you must go thru the router to reach the outside wifi world in order to connect to it so the ip address should be the same for both the printer on the router as the computer printer settings the printers control panel able to show its address in a status menu somewhere do not know what printer or model you have I know my Epson has a menu setting with wifi status on it.

Message 4 of 8
michelynn
Aspirant

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8610.  It is hardwired to the router and I don't believe the wifi works when it is hardwired.  All the traffic is going through the router.  I think eset Smart Security is doing something weird since the Netgear firmware update.  Before the update I could see my network by it's Netgear name.  Now it just shows up with the dnlsp 192.168.1.1 etc. address.  That showed up in eset before but the Netgear name also showed up.

Thanks for your help.  I know just enough to figure things out most of the time but not enough to actually know why whatever I did worked.

Message 5 of 8

@michelynn wrote:

I don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to because then I would have to spend hours reconfiguring it. 

(Alt+Print screen) screen grabs are great for this.

it is BS that they don't give tech support for their firmware updates. 

Sadly, you may have a hard time finding any supplier that provides that sort of support.

Message 6 of 8
William10a
Master

Ok yours is setup reverse of my my printer in using wifi for a connection, could be software issue do you use Genie, You are just using the router as a switch when it comes the printer goes in one port out another port.

Check for a update to esat program.

Message 7 of 8
michelynn
Aspirant

I do use Genie.  eset Smart Security is up to date.  My HP printer web services have never worked so I must have set it up wrong in the begining.  

2017-12-05 (1).png

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7