Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can you set device based parental controls?

Tsteele23
Guide

can you set device based parental controls?

Hi, 

I have a WNDR3800 router.  I am trying to make use of the Parental Controls, which only seem to work for the whole router.  ie: I am trying to modify per device settings to configure different Parental Rules, eg: none for my PC, and Medium for the kids ipads and PC.  From Network Map I can open up a device, click modify to change the Parental Control setting for that device, Click Apply to "save" it, but it never saves and goes straight back to showing "default level on router".

The documentation says you can change per device, but it's not working. Should it, or is there a bug here?  I'm using the latest Netgear firmware available.

I have tried configuring this from a PC & Mac, same problem.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28365

Thanks

Tim

Message 1 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: can you set device based parental controls?

Hi @Tsteele23,

You have followed the correct steps in completing the setup that you want. I recommend performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Once you have successfully reconfigured the router, please try uninstalling and re-installing the NETGEAR Genie applications on all devices and check if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 54
Tsteele23
Guide

Dexter, 

I've reflashed and reconfigured, and still stuck with the same problems.  Trying to changing the level of parental control per device is not saving.

I installed the Genie app on my tablet, and it gives me an error after clicking Apply : "Failed to set Parental Controls Filtering"

Any ideas?

Tim

Message 3 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tsteele23,

I will need the following information for me to provide you with a better recommendation:

1. May I know what is the firmware version of the router?

2. Are you getting the same error on all devices?

3. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on the devices?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 54
Tsteele23
Guide

Hi Dexter, 

1. May I know what is the firmware version of the router?  1.0.0.48 (latest available)

2. Are you getting the same error on all devices?  to date I have installed Genie on my MaxOS & Android tablet (4.4.4), & Windows7 PC.  All of them I couldn't set the filtering level per device.   However just now have installed Genie on an ipad mini, and I can change the filtering level on each device.  It responds with "Set Sucessfully"

I have one more MacOS I can try a new install on, and one more Windows7 PC.  At this point in time, it appears this functionality is only working on an ipad.

3. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on the devices?  I haven't yet tried uninstalling & reinstalling, but I will try this now, along with new installs on the other devices I mentioned in 2.

I'll update you later.

Tim

Message 5 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tsteele23,

Please keep me posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 54
Tsteele23
Guide

Hi Dexter, 

I installed Netgear Genie on another Macbook (10.10.5) for the first time and it has the same problems.  On MacOS, you get no error when trying to change the filtering , it just doesn't commit the change.

On the Windows7 machine, I have uninstalled Netgear Genie, rebooted, reinstalled, and it has the exact same behaviour as MacOS, you get no error, it just doesn't commit any change to the filtering level.

On my Android phone (4.4.4) I installed Netgear Genie for the first time, get the same error I noted before "Failed to set Parental Controls Filtering", same as I do on my Android tablet (4.4.4).

It appears that Netgear Genie only works on iPad.

While I opened this thread here in the community, I had also opened a ticket with Netgear Support (case #25793926 which was taking a long time, and alot of run around).  They came back yesterday with the following:  "Tim, we are geting more complaints regarding the same issue. The issue is with the app itself. It's an bug in the app. currently our developers are working to fix it." 

Tim

Message 7 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tsteele23,

This is something that I can also confirm with you. Engineering was already made aware and this is currently being worked on. In the mean time, I would suggest keeping an eye out on the next update for a possible fix.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 54
WPS3
Aspirant

I am having this very same problem with only one device on my network, an Xbox 360. Regardless of whether I use the PC or Android app, I cannot change/save the Parental Controls Filtering on that specific device from any source, however I CAN change other devices on the network from all sources. One might be inclined to say that the Xbox 360 just isn't playing nice or something, I dunno. The Xbox 360 in question is completely updated firmware wise.

Would love a solution.

Message 9 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @WPS3,

If the filtering level do not seem to apply for the XBOX 360, you may manually set the DNS values to the OpenDNS values which are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. This link may help you out.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

This has not been solved. I have a C7000 and can not set parental control by device. I followed this thread but it doesn't solve the device specific content filtering.  Please help!!!

-R

Message 11 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

This is not a solution to the genie app and router not being able to set device specific content filters. Please fix this.

-R

Message 12 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NeedHelpToo,

1. Have you tried using another device (smartphone, another computer) in changing the filtering level for each device?

2. What happens after you change the filtering level?

3. What device were you using?

4. what version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

5. What is the firmware version of the device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

See answers to the questions...

1. Have you tried using another device (smartphone, another computer) in changing the filtering level for each device?

Yes, another iphone6plus, an iphone5c, an ipad

2. What happens after you change the filtering level?

The screen shows that the filtering level has changed for that device (network mapping screen) but when I test that device to see if the filter is working it doesn't work at the device level.

3. What device were you using?

See #1 above.

4. what version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

Mac os x version 2.4.10

5. What is the firmware version of the device?

C7000  v1.01.19

Hope that helps.

Message 14 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

Hey @DexterJB please do not ask me to "flash" my router as you asked someone else in a different thread that you were trying to help as it didn't work. If you work for Netgear you need to come up a real fix and not keep on posting the same response that doesn't work. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/NETGEAR-Genie-Parental-Control-by-Device-has-no-effect/td-p/9...

Something so simple but yet it is obviously an issue that either Netgear can't push out the fix to due to delays with Comcast or there are simply more pressing issues at Netgear??

-R

----------------------------------------- SNIP>>>

NETGEAR Moderator
DexterJB

Re: NETGEAR Genie Parental Control by Device has no effect

Hi @jjdonahue,

I suggest performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

<<<-----------------------------------------------------SNIP

Message 15 of 54
Tsteele23
Guide

Dexter, 

I'm still experiencing this issue as well.  I installed the latest update to Genie, but it's made no difference.  If I set a device to be blocked, in Genie it shows as blocked, but the device still remains to have full internet access.  I've not yet played around with trying the alter the filtering level per device in genie yet, I just haven't had time.  I'm at the point like the previous poster, I can't understand how Netgear can't fix this.  Once I get to fully test the genie app, if I find it's still doing exactly the same thing, I'll probably chuck this router and go buy another brand.  I bought this router purely based on the features for filtering and the genie app, which has some serious flaws.

Tim

Message 16 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NeedHelpToo,

As it stands, the current firmware of the C7000 does not yet support the LPC feature. The firmware releases of NETGEAR cable modem-routers are also being handled by your ISP since it will still go through certification from their end. A firmware re-flash is part of our standard troubleshooting to isolate the issue. However, it does not apply to cable modem-routers since it is only your ISP who can push out the firmware to your device. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. There is no ETA yet on the next firmware release.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

@DexterJB This is false advertising and Netgear should remove all mention of the Parental Control feature on this product immediately and issue an apology to register users of this device and offer money back. This is how class action lawsuits start. Especially when you look at something like Parental Control. What would happen if a parent buys this product for this feature, has a child that visits inappropriate sites and lord knows what happens next. That parent would have thought this feature was protecting their family but it wasn't. It's no different than an airbag in a car. Here's a link to the product literature that http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/C7000.pdf.  What's even more interesting is that Comcast is named in the marketing of this device and they profit from it's use so they too could be named in a class action.

I get that the ISP needs to push out the firmware but as you state the firmware that Netgear has doesn't support this feature. So before the ISP would even push a firmware release out the manufacturer of the device needs to ensure the firmware can do what it's supposed to. As you stated, "As it stands, the current firmware of the C7000 does not yet support the LPC feature."

-R

Message 18 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NeedHelpToo,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 54
jhldesign
Aspirant

I am very disappointed with our WNDR 4300 router! I purchased so I coud use the netgear genie to turn off my kids devices individually. I've installed the app on a pc, macbook and iphone and none show the all-important Turn On Access Control switch as the manual shows as needing to be clicked to enable me to block a user on the network map. After an hour on hold I was told this option is not offered...even though it's heavily marketed. What's confusing is there seem to be some users in this community who are having spotty success with it...and others having the same frustration that I am. I would appreciate hearing whatever you emailed to Tim above as I'm ready to trash this and go look for a whole new router. Please advise ASAP. THank you.

Jennifer

Message 20 of 54
NeedHelpToo
Aspirant

I returned my R8500 Netgear Nighthawk X8 and will be buying an Asus RT-AC5300. All the reviews are good on this device.  

Best of luck,

R

Message 21 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jhldesign,

1. The WNDR4300 does support the Access Control feature.

2. What is the firmware version of your router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 22 of 54
Jasonx521
Aspirant

I also cannot get the device to save the parental control setting. I would like to have some devices set to: "none". I have the default set, which filters all devices.

I have many devices in the house; Smart TV, Playstation, Tablets, Computers, and Phones. (Samsung TV, Sony Playstation, Android phones & Tablets, and Windows 7 & 10 computers.)

Message 23 of 54
Jasonx521
Aspirant

WNDR3800 with the lastest firmware and software available; FM: V1.0.0.48

Message 24 of 54
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jasonx521,

1. what version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

2. Have you tried using another device (smartphone. another computer) to set the filtering level?

3. Did it work before?

4. Does the default filtering level work (does it block sites)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 25 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7