Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

DianaSiordia
Aspirant

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Good day, finally I did, ... thanks.
Message 76 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DianaSiordia,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 77 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi Dexter

Just letting you know a new firmware version has been released for the D7800 (1.0.1.16). I upgraded my modem/router to this version and tried the parental control login using the Netgear Genie application.

My issue has now been going on for 1.5 months now and I can see others have had this issue for even longer. Netgear replaced my physical modem/router and the issue still persists despite new hardware and multiple firmware versions.

Are your best Netgear Genie developers looking at this issue? I would like to understand what Netgear is doing behind the scenes (i.e. what actions are they taking) given their product is not working as advertised?

Regards

Tony W

Message 78 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TonyWilath,

We appreciate your patience and especially your cooperation in helping us find a resolution to the issue. We apologize if this has taken longer than usual and for the inconvenience this has caused you and others who are also experiencing the issue. I do not have visibility with regards to the development team. Rest assured, this case is being given attention by the right people and is being addressed.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 79 of 111
rapiddoor
Aspirant

cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Message 80 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rapiddoor,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. Have you tried using other devices?

3. Was it working before? If yes, are you still able to sign in via a browser?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 81 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rapiddoor,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 82 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi Dexter

Just letting you know that support provided me with the beta Firmare version for me D7800 router (v1.0.1.18-RC2.img). This did not fix my sign in issue to parent control using the Genie application.

I am still waiting on a viable fix and its been close to two months since I logged my support call.

Regards

Tony W

Message 83 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TonyWilath,

Thank you for providing an update. Please keep us posted if there is a resolution if you are continuing to work with support.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 84 of 111
Cassie21
Aspirant

Did the engineeers ever fix the problem?. It is 11/2016 and issue remains.

Message 85 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Cassie21,

No resolution yet but case is currently being handled by the right department.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 86 of 111
Batsy74
Aspirant

Any resolution? I am having this issue also.

Message 87 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Batsy74,

No update from engineering on the case yet.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 88 of 111
MrPink
Aspirant

Hi NetGear Community,

Same problem here with the Parental Controls feature not working. I have a D7800 (firmware V1.0.1.16) and using the Windows Genie App (2.4.34) and the iOS Genie App (2.4.38). I have an existing OpenDNS account which I can access through www.opendns.com and netgear.opendns.com. When I first started to get everything going, I was able to access the parental controls feature on my ipad, briefly, but now, nothing. Signing into OpenDNS on my iPhone (using working credentials), i get a message saying "Internet is not available. Please connect your router to the internet first.". On my ipad, it just hangs on the "signing in" screen. On my PC, i get the message: "you don't appear to be connected to the internet". I have tried accessing the parental controls directly through the device (192.168.1.1 admin login). When i select the parental controls tab, i get redirected to www.netgear.com/lpc. Parental Controls "the easy way to set some online boundaries". 

Hi @TonyWilath, i would like to hear more about your road to a solution. 

Message 89 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @MrPink,

The latest update from engineering is that the case is still being worked on.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 90 of 111
MrPink
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for the update. I have since been in contact with OpenDNS and unfortunately, they couldn't help. I have also submitted a ticket to Netear Support who are currently trying to help me out and has since been upgraded to the expert technician team. 

Fortunately, I have an older Netgear modem/router that I have added to my network which I have setup running through the OpenDNS Family Shield servers. I have all my boys devices connected through that modem as a bandaid until I can get these parental control sorted. 

So far, we have tried everything from restarting, rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, rolling back to previous firmaware, factory resetting, power cycling and bunch more, with no luck. I am curious to know if anyone out there has been able to setup these parental controls first time with no hassles, and also,

I would be interested to hear from people who have had problems with the parental controls feature and have been able to work through to a solution to fixing the issues that they experienced (probably won't here though because not many people jump on these forums if everything is working fine). 

Message 91 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi MrPink

I have still have this issue after it started occuring back in August this year. This is what I have done:

1) Logged a call with OpenDNS - they told me this was a known issue with Netgear and they needed to fix this

2) Logged a call with Netgear - They have got me to try all sorts of things such as:

- Changing my passwords to use different lengths and characters - no affect

- trying beta firmware on my Nighthawk D7800 device - same problem

- upgrading Genie clients - same problem

- replacing my entire modem/router - even this didnt work so its not a hardware issue

3) Logged this forum response - has been of no help apart from making it obvious this issue is very wide spread and affecting a large number of people regardless of make/model - I work in a large fortune 500 IT company and based on my experience and observation I suspect this is a coding issue with the Negear Genie application and/or a security setting either on networking/firewall/loadbalancing infrastructure/webpage security somewhere between Netgear and OpenDNS which is not allow logon credentials and/or data to be passed between the Genie client and the the OpenDNS account.

4) Support has been very very very poor and its been over a month and a half since I have heard anything. I generally have no contact unless I follow up with an email asking "what is going on" and then I tend to get "we are working on your issue and doing everything we can" type response.

They are still advertising this function on their router which in my mind is false advertising. I bought the top of the range router purely for the parent filtering function that could be selectively applied to device level and this has worked less than 50% of the time I have owned the modem/router.

My experience has been so bad that I would not recommend Netgear to anyone ever again. I am currently looking at the ASUS routers that seem to have some kind of parent filtering at device level and whilst it doesnt look as good as using OpenDNS (which is very good in Australia for a free filtering service). However it seems to be working well from what I can see on the forums and I guess i'd rather have something than nothing. Nothing is all Netgear have been able to provide me.

One very disatisfied Netgear customer.

Message 92 of 111
MrPink
Aspirant

Hi @TonyWilath, thanks for letting me know about your experience. 

I have gone through the same process, up until they want to replace the device (which will most likely be the next step. I am just about resigned to the fact that the parental controls feature will not work and when its time, I will definitely be looking at other manufatcurers first. 

Fortunately, I have another modem/router laying around, so what I have done is to add that to the net work (but not as an access point). Changed the DNS settings to the OpenDNS Family Shield servers and connected all my childrens devices through that (and changed the password on my D7800 so they couldn't connect to the unfiltered internet). This seems to have worked quite well, with no issues with wifi frequencies crossing. Just a band aid solution to keep the house flowing. 

Message 93 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi @MrPink

Thats quite a clever suggestion. I also have a few modem/routers lying around so am going to try what you have done. My sole reason for buying the top of the range Negear router was for the kids. Otherwise I would not have spent this kind of money and there are cheaper brands that offer the same performance specs. Its been quite frustrating as my internet is unprotected and I am worried about my little ones seing something they shouldnt.

I appreciate you sharing you workaround.

Message 94 of 111
Gitzman
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same problem as everybody else:  I cannot log into my existing OpenDNS account to set up family controls.  I've tried to log in using the Windows app and the iOS (iphone and ipad) app, to no avail.  I've repeatedly confirmed that my password is correct by logging in manually to the OpenDNS website, but I never succeed using Netgear Genie.  In the iOS apps, it just spins and spins for 5+ minutes until the device goes into standby mode.  In Windows, the app simply rejects the password and does nothing visible. 

I just bought the router yesterday, and part of the assumption on which I based my decision was that at least rudimentary family controls would be functional, as advertised repeatedly in the ad copy.  Now after seeing all these complaints, I'm starting to regret my purchase.

It's frankly baffling how such a major problem could last so long without being corrected.  It's also baffling why - if Genie is indeed the root of the problem - the web interface hasn't simply been updated by engineering to allow us to manually change the appropriate settings.  It's not just the web filtering that missing, it's also the ability to set usage schedules for individual devices (i.e., to shut down my kids' wifi around bedtime, while leaving mine open) which truly is just basic stuff which doesn't need to be locked up inside the LPC black box.

My X4S is using firmware 1.0.2.20.  Windows and iOS fully updated.

Message 95 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Completely agree with your sentiments and after months of the issue and much messing about with troubleshooting I still don't have a resolution.

I am now a good portion through the realistic service life of this device and Netgear still dont have a resoluiton. Frankly I think its false adertising that they advertise this function on affected devices given this is a known issue for them.

The experience and poor support (ability fo actually provide me with a fix to the function I primarily bought their top of the line router for) is very unprofessional. I work for a fortune 500 company in the IT area and I can honestly say that our employment would have been terminated if we had performed in this way and communicated and dealt with customers so poorly.

I would recommend everyone giving Netgear networking infrastructure a wide birth.

Message 96 of 111
Gitzman
Aspirant

FWIW three more updates.  First, I power cycled the router, same results.  Then I installed and tried using the Mac OSX version of the Genie app, same results.  Finally, I tried creating a new OpenDNS account, same results. 

The only thing "different" this time was that the Mac version of Genie crashed to the spinning beach ball of death when I tried to exit it normally, so I had to force close the app.

Message 97 of 111
Gitzman
Aspirant

Solved (I think).

After sleeping on the problem for eight hours, I decided to try a different approach.  I backed up all of the Nighthawk router settings to my notebook PC, then restored the router to factory default settings, and then restarted the configuration process.  This time, after completing the mandatory basics (picking an administrator password, etc.) I went straight to the LPC settings (without passing Go, without collecting $200, as the saying goes).  I told it that I had an existing OpenDNS account, and this time I logged in successfully on the first try.  Then I went back and manually changed the configuration settings, without using the backup because I was afraid that I'd overwrite whatever restored my access to the LPC screens.

So, in sum, at the moment it appears to be working.  I'll report back if it falls apart again.

Message 98 of 111
MrPink
Aspirant

Definitley keep us update Gitzman. I am very interested to see if it stands the test of time. I have reset to factories so many times that i have lost count. It sometimes gives the impression that it will work, bu then... "computer says no". I would also be very interested in what happens if you go back into LPC settings to modify something, to see if still works as advertised then.

Message 99 of 111
Gitzman
Aspirant

SIGH. Unfortunately no, it didn't last more than 6-12 hours. Eventually it fell into a clear pattern where use of LPC would trigger a time-delayed lockout of all wireless clients. To rectify that, I had to disable LPC. And once I did that, debugging was frustrating because the OpenDNS login credentials would be rejected as outlined above.

After spending two days working in a solution, I returned it to the store and bought an Asus RT-AC3100. I got it fully installed and configured, with parental controls, in under an hour and everything has worked fine since then.
Message 100 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7