Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Hi @bill224,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program that you have installed?

3. Have you tried logging in using other devices (another computer, smartphone, tablet)?

4. Are you still looking to use the Parental Controls feature of the device?

5. Are you also getting slower speed through the router?

6. Does the connection to the Internet also drop?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 51 of 111
eeclark71
Aspirant

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

I am having this exact problem.  I am trying to set up parental controls and am unable to log in with my correct password and username.

I am needing to set these controls up TODAY.

Any suggestions?

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 52 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @eeclark71,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. Do you already have an existing OpenDNS account or are you trying to set it up with the NETGEAR Genie program/app?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 53 of 111
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I followed these instructions by the tech support team to resolve the issue

1. Power cycle the router

2. Logged in Genie and reset the admin password for the router. Made sure it was all character and numbers

3. Clicked on Parental Control option and followed the instructions..rest of it worked out perfectly.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Message 54 of 111
Dimps1
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. I can not get into the settings or any of the icons on the first page. Same error message. Please help.
Message 55 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Dimps1,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of the router?

2. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

3. Have you tried using another device (another computer, smartphone, tablet)?

4. What is the error message?

5. Was it working before?

6. Do you already have an OpenDNS account? If yes, are you able to login in to it via a browser?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 56 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Dimps1,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 57 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

I currently have a Netgear D7800 on firmware 1.0.1.10 and my Netgear Genie version is 2.4.26 (both most recent versions). All has been working well until today when suddenly the parental control feature in netgear genie wont accept my username/password for my opendns account. I have changed the password on the opendns site and can confirm both before and after my password change I was able to login to the opendns website directly so this means there is no issue with my username and password.

Its almost as if the netgear genie is not passing this through or communicating with opendns.

As a result my parental controls are not working. I bought this top of the range route for only that purpose and now its not working.

It is now Sep 2016 and the last response to this was in 2015 in the forums and this still doesnt seem to be solved.

Message 58 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

I should also add that I am using a 15 character password and have rebooted the router and PC multiple times. I have the latest version of firmware and netgear genie.

Message 59 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TonyWilath,

1. Have you tried logging in using another device (smartphone, tablet, another computer)?

2. Did you setup your account through the NETGEAR Genie or did you already have an existing OpenDNS account?

3. Are you able to login through https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 60 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi Dexter

I just thought I would let you know that this issue manifested shortly after I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.1.10. In regard to your questions:

1) When I log in using the Genie app on my Samsung S6 Galaxy it does the same thing (i.e. wont log in) on the first attempt. When I retry it then logs in (this happens every time I repeat this exercise and always works on the second go). Once I am in and I enable Parental Control I go to into the device map and try to set the individual devices and it wont let me do so. From what I have read on the Opendns forums this is an issue with the Netgear firmware and compatibility with the Genie software (i.e. this latest firmware is not fully compatible with the latest Genie software). This would also explain the buggy behaviour I get from using the Genie app from both my Samsung S6 and my Windows 7 PC. It also aligns with the fact I just recently upgraded the firmware on the router.

2) I had and existing opendns account. However this cannot be the issue as this account has been working properly on this router as far back as March this year (2016) with no issues.

3) Yes I confirm am able to login using my credentials at the site address you provided.

I would like to know if there is going to be a new release of the Genie app soon and if not is it possible to roll back the firmware version on my router? If so where can I get the previous release of the firmware?

Message 61 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TonyWilath,

Thank you for responding. Let me check on this.

1. Have you done a factory reset after updating the firmware? If not, please do so.

2. Can you please provide a link to the OpenDNS forum discussing the issue?

3. You can find the previous versions of the device firmware using the link below.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7800.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 62 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi Dexter

I downgrade the firmware on my D7800 to version 1.0.0.48 and this didn't work. Then I went back to original version which I started with which is 1.0.0.46 and this still doesn't work. My call with Opendns (#245788) is now closed as they said this issue is a know Netgear issue. I have pasted in the email from Opendns below:

Reginald Ham(OpenDNS)

Sep 18, 22:51 PDT

Hello,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue. This is actually a known issues with NETGEAR devices. Netgear has mentioned that they plan to release a fix in the next firmware upgrade.

Can you attempt to logon to the router directly bypassing the Genie logon.
It appears an update to the Genie software may be causing problems.
If you can logon to the router directly that the problem is with the Genie application which is a NetGear application. If you encounter any problems with the Genie application you will need to contact Netgear's support team at https://www.netgear.com/support/.

Enter your product model number to get started. Selecting your model allows us to tailor our support site for you.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.

Best regards,

Reg Ham
Customer Support Representative
OpenDNS,inc

I tried downgrading the version of Genie to 2.4.20 but I still have the same problem. Given the number of articles I have read with your users having this problem what are Netgear doing about this. I can see that Netgear Genie 2.4.26 was specifically released to fix password issues with Opendns (I read the release notes) but this doesnt have appear to have fixed any issues and if anything, has created this issue for me.

Tony

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 63 of 111
alisonxgraham
Initiate

Has this issue been resolved?  I am experiencing the same or similar issue ...

Netgear Genie v2.4.26 running on Windows 7 PC (64 bit)

[also tried Netgear Genie (v 2.4.24) on ipad 2 (IOS 9.3.5)]

Netgear Router: WNDR3700v3

Firmware: v1.0.0.38_1.0.31

Please help....

Message 64 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi

Just confirming that this issue has not been resolved for me. I have tried everything (firmware downgrades, different versions of Genie) and nothing seems to fix the issue. This issue appears to have been going on for some time and affecting quite a few people from what I can see. I have a call logged with Netgear support as well but I am struggling to get them to acknowledge the issue and I only just managed to get then to try and replicate the problem. Opendns are saying that lots of people have this issue with Netgear devices and Netgear are aware of it but this acknowledgement doesnt seem to be mirrored with the support I am getting.

I purchased the top of the range Netgear router purely for the purpose fo content filtering to protect my children. I am barely 6 months into owning the router and the the very feature I bought if for fails to work. I am on the verge of approaching consumer affairs about the issue as Netgear are:

a) refusing phone support

b) not seemingly admitting this is a product issue

c) have not come back with anything in terms of problem resolution (no valid work arounds, no timeframes for releasing a fix etc).

Tony

Message 65 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TonyWilath ,

I apologize for the delayed response. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 66 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

We are currently working on this. I will provide an update on this thread once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 67 of 111
DianaSiordia
Aspirant

I have This problem to, I cannot  set up an Account open DNS for parental control, what I can do

Message 68 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DianaSiordia,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. What is the NETGEAR Genie version that you have installed?

3. Have you tried using another device (smartphone, tablet, another computer)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 69 of 111
alisonxgraham
Initiate

1. Netgear Router: WNDR3700v3 Firmware: v1.0.0.38_1.0.31

2. Netgear Genie v2.4.26 running on Windows 7 PC (64 bit)

3. Yes - Netgear Genie (v 2.4.24) on ipad 2 (IOS 9.3.5)]

Thanks in advance

Alison

Message 70 of 111
DianaSiordia
Aspirant

Netgear Router is R6220
Firmware Version:V1.1.1.0.3
Netgear Version 2.4.24
Ipad mini IOS 9.3.5
Yes I'm tried with another 2 devices and it's the same don't let me, does nothing...I hope so you can help me, thanks.
Diana
Message 71 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @alisonxgraham and @DianaSiordia,

Please try uninstalling and re-installing the NETGEAR Genie app. Please keep us posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 72 of 111
TonyWilath
Guide

Hi Dexter

Just letting you know that Netgear agreed to send me an RMA device as they havent been able to resolve this issue. I recieved the device yesterday and installed it tonight. I updated the firmware to the latest version (1.0.1.10) and then restored my config from a backup I took using the routers backup utility. I fired up Netgear Genie (2.4.26) hopeful that my children would finally have working parental control but was very disappointed to get exactly the same error ("there was an error signing in. make sure you are connected to the internet and try again").

I then went to another Windows 7 x64 PC I have that is hard wired to the router (i.e. ethernet cable and not wireless). I downloaded the latest Netgear genie from your website and was surprised to see that there was a new version 2.4.32 (I have been checking regularly in hope Netgear would release a working version). I fired this up and same error.

I then tried this from the Netgear Genie app on my Samsung Galaxy S6 and same issue.

I am quite unhappy as I paid $40 to get my RMA device priority delivered. My expectation is that Netgear will refund me this cost given the long running issue with their products and the false advertising around the parental control (i.e. it doesnt actually work despite new hardware and latest versions of firmware and software and the fact I can log onto OpenDNS with my credentials directly). Judging from the number of people who are also responding to the forum I am not unique in this issue.

I am waiting for instructions from support on how to return my device (instructions were supposed to be included in the box but were not). I would recommend taking my return device and getting level 3 and your development team to analyse the issue.

Regards

Tony W

Message 73 of 111
DianaSiordia
Aspirant

I ready did uninstall it and install it many times and still does not work, what can I do? I really need it

I appreciate your help

Diana
Message 74 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DianaSiordia,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 75 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7