Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: fake_udp

Fred11
Follower

fake_udp

I just upgraded to El Capitan and Little Snitch suddenly and continually asks me for permission to connect to fake_udp on port 55.  This seems to occur only when my Netgear Genie program is running.  I suspect that this is ok to allow but can someone confirm and explain what this is all about?

Message 1 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Fred11,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 28
Izzy999
Aspirant

I am having the same issue... should I allow it?

Message 3 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Izzy999,

We would like to isolate the issue. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 28
daguy666
Aspirant

So two people both reported this and then it went to private message. Was there any more that publically went out? I was noticing this somewhere as well, and was hoping to get some clarity to where it was from. 

thanks!

Message 5 of 28
grhabyt
Aspirant

I am also having the same problem. It started today when I updated Netgear Genie to Version 2.4.12. Before that Genie was no problem.

Message 6 of 28
orchidz3ro
Aspirant

I too have this FAKE_UDP issue. is there a resolution?

Message 7 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

The cause of this was not specified and may have been an issue with El Capitan at that time. Please provide more information for us to isolate the issue.

1. What version of OS X/macOS are you using?

2. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

3. When does the error message come up?

4. Please provide a screenshot if possible.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 28
snapperou812
Aspirant

1. What version of OS X/macOS are you using? OS X 10.12.1

2. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?  2.4.18

3. When does the error message come up? Little Snitch report after installed of DNSCrypt 

4. Please provide a screenshot if possible.Picture_8570_taken_on_2013-05-29_122002.jpg

When I denied the connection the fake_udp would come back requesting access repeatly by going to another address starting with the 0.0.0.pick a number.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 9 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @snapperou812,

Thank you for providing the details. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 28
ohyunjin
Aspirant

i have the same issue.  has anyone had a public solution? 

Message 11 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ohyunjin,

We are still investigating the issue. We will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 28
hflorespr
Aspirant

I have 2 Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Tri-Band Quad Stream Wi-Fi Routers, one at work and one at home. When I connect mac macbook pro to the wifi at work I dont get the fake_udp request however I do get it when connected at home using the same computer. I am running macOS Sierra and Little Snitch and I ended blocking any connection requested by fake_udp untill I know more about this issue. Please advise.

Message 13 of 28
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @hflorespr,

We will provide an update on this thread once we figure out what the cause is.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 28
RoBlo
Aspirant

I have the same problem: should I allow fake_udp to connect?

Netgear Firmware 2.4.22

Nighthawk R7000

macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Message 15 of 28
snapperou812
Aspirant

If you can't figure out where it came from IMO I would block it.
Message 16 of 28
RoBlo
Aspirant

I did, but I would very much like to know it's origin. The thread above doesn't make us much wiser

Message 17 of 28
snapperou812
Aspirant

The request stopped asking for entry thankfully for me. With luck it will do the same for you.
Message 18 of 28
RoBlo
Aspirant

Still having the fake_udp problem. And every time I block fake_udp from connecting to internet, Netgear Genie crashes.

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5

Message 19 of 28
jjevans678
Aspirant

how do i stop the fake_udp?

Message 20 of 28
snapperou812
Aspirant

Make sure you have the latest firmware version on your router. If the fake_udp keeps coming up contact netgear with the issue and they will work with you on trouble shooting the issue. I just kept blocking the request (lot of mouse clicks).
Message 21 of 28
RoBlo
Aspirant

Still having the fake_udp problem. And every time I block fake_udp from connecting to internet, Netgear Genie crashes. And the firmware is up to date. 😞

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5

Message 22 of 28
jw78
Aspirant

I'm running OSX 10.12.6 on my Macbook Pro and using Little Snitch 4.0.2 to monitor network traffic and I had not seen the fake_udp connection arise before while using this router and Netgear Genie.  Please confirm what this connection is and what kind of data is being sent and received here once someone here knows.  

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 23 of 28
snapperou812
Aspirant

I let little snitch block all the fake_udp traffic. I don't remember what data was being moved.
Message 24 of 28
CalCal23
Apprentice

So I just got the netgear NightHawk X6 - AC3200 and I'm questioning what this fake UDP thing is all about.  It has my Little Snitch going crazy.  I allowed it for now, but I want to know what the purpose of this program is.  Please message me so that you can put my mind at ease.  Fake UDP just sounds ominous.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 25 of 28
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7