Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iOS 7 breaks Genie Airprint

pko
Novice
Novice

iOS 7 breaks Genie Airprint

Using latest Genie (2.2.28.24) and WNDR4500 firmware (V1.0.1.36_1.0.6.3), I was able to print easily from my iPhone5 with iOS 6. After upgrading to iOS 7, Genie's Airprint feature no longer works with the iPhone5. Still works fine with my older iPad with iOS 5. Please, Netgear: Update Genie to be compatible with iOS 7!

Does anybody from Netgear read these posts? I tried to explain the problem to Netgear support, and asked them to request an update, but they didn't really understand what I was talking about.

Message 1 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Forum is user to user ONLY

Put trouble ticket in using portal at my.netgear.com , continue to work with them.

Forum will not going to have solution for things are not working and may need new updates
Message 2 of 44
Devor
Luminary

Although I don't know that much about Apple stuff and it could be like you said a compatibility issue with IOS 7. If you haven't rolled back to an earlier version of Genie, you could try the solution found here. Read to the bottom of the thread.

Otherwise, like June mentioned, submit a ticket here.
Message 3 of 44
Joe_
Apprentice

So Apple rolls out iOS 7 and something gets broken. How do you decide it's Netgear's fault that something was broken? Could you explain your rationale?
Message 4 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You an roll back a app in ios7. Unless you roll back iOS 7 to 6 entirely

It is possible that there might be new version coming up as many of apps are updates to new design so I would keep checking App Store if you have not chooses to automatocu updates the apps

For the past few days it automatically updates my phone
Message 5 of 44

I think the real issue it that iOS7 is not compatible with the current Genie program for windows or the existing Genie App for iPhone. iOS7 is 100% AirPrint capable. It is ridiculous to spend time futzing with an application to make an older device do something it wasn't intended for. All of the current network printers available from HP and Epson are AirPrint capable. Even the higher end models can be had for under $200 dollars. Built in webserver, easy to configure and manage. One time set up and forget it. Do yourself and everyone in your household a favor. Buy a true AirPrint capable or network printer. Problem solved... Or suffer and wait until Netgear releases an update. Why subject yourself to further aggravation. I'm sure netgear is aware that Genie mobile for iOS7 is broken and that you can't print from a device running iOS7 to a printer that relies on Genie. USB printing via Genie is nothing more than a gimmick. I promise you will never look back. This investment pays for itself immediately.
Message 6 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

That just rage people now you said that! Lol
Message 7 of 44
pko
Novice
Novice

FYI, Genie's Airprint feature works perfectly with a Canon MX880 WIRELESSLY, not needing USB, when using iOS 5 or 6 with iPad or iPhone. Still does. Only doesn't work with an iPhone that was upgraded to iOS 7. Yes, iOS 7 caused the problem...BUT, Netgear should update Genie to be compatible with iOS 7. No doubt they will, sooner or later.

Genie's Airprint feature is truly a terrific thing, turning our almost new but non-Airprint printers into Airprint-enabled devices. I have tried many apps to do this, none of which were reliable, and many of which didn't work at all. Genie's Airprint worked perfectly and transparently, and still does if we use devices running iOS 6 or 5. Why does everybody get so huffy when all I ask is that Netgear update Genie so the Airprint feature works with iOS 7 devices?
Message 8 of 44
Devor
Luminary

I do not believe anyone was getting huffy. For my part, I suggested reading a thread. Did you?
Message 9 of 44
pko
Novice
Novice

Yes, I read it. The problem is not solved by going back to previous Netgear versions; they all work well with iOS 5 and 6. Updating my iPhone to iOS 7 broke the Genie Airprint feature. The fix is for Netgear to update Genie to work with iOS 7, and I am sure that they will. Being able to seamlessly add Airprint capability to non-Airprint printers is a really valuable feature, and Netgear did it right. It works invisibly and without any futzing, in contrast to the many kludge apps that are available, which are unreliable, if they even work at all. An update to Genie to fix the iOS 7 incompatibility will be welcome. Please understand: With an office full of almost new printers, trashing them all to get the latest models with Airprint is not an attractive option. Genie's Airprint feature added Airprint to all our printers, with no complications or training of staff required...it just worked. Still does, except for devices running iOS 7. My mistake was updating my iPhone to iOS 7 too soon, but no problem, since all our iOS 5 and 6 devices still print just fine.
Message 10 of 44
Devor
Luminary

If a previous Genie version didn't help, I suppose the next step would be to submit a ticket here. While it is certainly possible that Netgear is aware of the incompatibility, by submitting a ticket perhaps you might be able to gauge their progress. Maybe you can ask or they will ask you to sign a NDA and assist in the development.

As I said, I don't know that much about Apple stuff. Because you have other working devices I suppose it might not be critical. But, can you rollback to IOS 6 or because IOS 7 is already installed, at this point it is better to wait it out?
Message 11 of 44
Joe_
Apprentice

It's been said before in the 2nd post - this is a user-to-user forum only. If you want the Genie app updated you should open a case with Netgear officially. Posting here is not the same as an official request to Netgear.
Message 12 of 44
Jim769
Luminary

Once iOS 7 is installed there is no way to go back your stuck. :rolleyes:
Message 13 of 44

Jim769 wrote:
Once iOS 7 is installed there is no way to go back your stuck. :rolleyes:
You can rollback an iPhone to any previously supported OS... but who would want to. Loss of features and apps functionality = headache. A lot of the newer apps are not supported in previous versions. Unless you have an apps archive it's not worth it.
Message 14 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 15 of 44
Jim769
Luminary

Nope not with iS07 there is no roll back confirmed by Apple.
Message 16 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Correct.......
Message 17 of 44
schmieg
Aspirant

This isn't just a problem with Netgear. The Jeep forum I am on is reporting that IOS7 has broken the compatibility with Jeep's UConnect system.
Message 18 of 44

I stand corrected. Good old Apple is now forcing people to move forward. Keeps the jail breakers at bay as well.
Message 19 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Pretty much ........
Message 20 of 44
pgautreaux
Aspirant

Any updates on this issue? I have a relative who decided to go with Netgear specifically for the AirPrint functionality -- needless to say, they're pretty frustrated right now.

I have to agree with shadowsports; native AirPrint support is definitely the way to go! I have a HP Color Laser, and it may be the best piece of hardware I have ever purchased.

BTW... @shadowsports -- nice specs. #envious
Message 21 of 44
Joe_
Apprentice

I'd say your relative needs to open a case with Netgear. 😉
Message 22 of 44

Agree and cheers. 😄 Genie App for iOS7 is fixed. I'm sure program for the PC isn't far behind.... but I would still take a network/true AirPrint capable device any day.
Message 23 of 44
grahamed
Aspirant

So SS

iOS7 breaks NetGear - you advise buying a proper printer. Should I buy a proper car also - current is only iOS6 compatible so I need one one compatible with iOS7 - which do you recommend? Obviously my love of my iPhone will cover any necessary expense, perhaps even justify it to my wife....
Message 24 of 44
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

No need for taking this discussion further .

ALL user with IOS7 user has an issues with current netgear app or firmware, PUT YOUR BUG REPORT with support directly and NOT here in forum.

my.netgear.com
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7