Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: identifying devices on my netwrok

iatrosm90
Follower

identifying devices on my netwrok

network genie says i have 12 devices on my home network.  some are identified by a name, but many simply have a number.  How could i go about identifying and naming each device on my network.  things like my pc and ipad are identified by the name i gave the device.  but my rokus are not identified except by number and im not sure what the others are.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @K8K and @wendyb,

One way to approach this is by checking the corresponding IP address assigned to device through the Network Map then checking the IP on the actual device. Another way is to do address reservation in order for the device to have a consistent IP address assigned to it by the router so that you can easily name the device through the Network Map. You can check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24091

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @iatrosm90,

You may install the NETGEAR Genie program/app on your device as a way to monitor the attached devices. It will also allow you to modify the identification of a connected device through the Network Map functionality. You may use the link below for the installers.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
stingynina
Aspirant

Everything I try to download, it installs and then 'stops working' when I try to run it.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What ever happened to providing some basic information like the model number of the router when posting. I ask not to be difficult but to try and help. For instance a R7000 has a edit option in the attached devices menu when using access control. NOT all models have it so why mention it. Unless of course the OP has that model but we'll never know that without asking.

Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Message 4 of 7
K8K
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm looking for an answer to the same question - how do identify which iphone/ipad/other network device corresponds to the number on the network map.  The answer given has not helped me.  Can anyone else help?  My router is Nighthawk D7000.

Message 5 of 7
wendyb
Aspirant

i'm frustrated too. it's a simple enough question on any netgear router - how to map/determine devices that are shown only as mac or ip numbers. my solution: same as figuring out my electrical panel. I'm going to turn them off one by one and see which one disappears, then label. Any I can't find i will block. if i can't connect one of my phones later today, i'll know that the culprit. 

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 6 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @K8K and @wendyb,

One way to approach this is by checking the corresponding IP address assigned to device through the Network Map then checking the IP on the actual device. Another way is to do address reservation in order for the device to have a consistent IP address assigned to it by the router so that you can easily name the device through the Network Map. You can check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24091

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7