Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

susanmott
Follower

netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

HI, i see many discussions here about the problems with Netgear Genie app and windows 10.  I have a newly purchased Netgear R6220.  I installed the Genie app onto my windows 8 laptop, and it was working fine.  I subsequently upgraded to windows 10, and now the genie no longer works.  Gives me an error message that it has stopped working.  I have tried un-installing and re-installing which hasn't worked.  I see references here to using an older version, 2.4.12, as a temporary solution, however none of the links that were provided in the previous discussions seem to work for me.  They take me to a netgear file download page which says that "Requested file does not exist".  Can someone please provide me with a link to download this 2.4.12 netgear genie version?  

I am also experiencing decreased internet speed and wifi signal since hooking up this router.  I was previously using an old Linksys wireless g router and getting good signal strength all over my house (approx 2000 sq feet, single story).  I have placed the netgear router in the same place, and am now not getting any signal in my farthest room, and a signal in the "POOR" range on the netgenie meter in all other rooms.  Doesn't seem to matter if I'm sitting next to the router, or in the adjacent rooms.  I'm using 2.4 ghz (no 5ghz devices).  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Message 1 of 118
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Look at the range rating on yours then check out r7000 range rating. If range is a problem you should consider a different router. Try installing genie using administrator, I installed genie last week on a Win 10 PRo  64 and it worked fine.

Message 2 of 118
davedc78
Initiate

My r7000 is working fine as a router in my fairly small one-bedroom apt, but maybe that is not surprising.  However, I also cannot get the current version of Genie to run on a new Windows 10 machine.  The older version, which I finally found a workable link to by scouring the forums, displays in a TINY window, almost unreadable. I would say the font is no bigger than 2 pt, maybe 3.  Why write an app to behave this way?  And nope, not changing my screen resolution, which already is at 175%, just so I can see Genie.  So there are two Genie fixes needed. Get it to run reliably on WIndows 10, and do something to make sure it stays readable as people upgrade to higher and higher screen resolutions.

Tnx.

Message 3 of 118
Retired_Member
Not applicable

strange mine installed and worked fine, to be clear your win 10 was not an upgrade rather a full install

Message 4 of 118

@susanmott wrote:

HI, i see many discussions here about the problems with Netgear Genie app and windows 10.

Only because people turn up with problems. The many many people who, like me, don't have problems with Windows 10 and Genie see no reason to boast about it.

Version 2.4.20 works fine here in Windows 10.

Message 5 of 118
Skiv
Initiate

I use a Netgear 14 modem/router. Windows 10 advised me after the installation that it was not compabitible with Netgear Genie. Isn't it Netgear's responsibility to make sure that Netgear Genie is compatible with Windows 10 and not the other way round, and when does it propose doing something about it?

Message 6 of 118
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Skiv wrote:

Isn't it Netgear's responsibility to make sure that Netgear Genie is compatible with Windows 10 and not the other way round, and when does it propose doing something about it?

Works fine on my Win 10 pro 64  I formatted drive and performed a NEW install of OS.

Tested on r8000,R7000 & R6300v2

So tell us about your install

Message 7 of 118

@Skiv wrote:

Isn't it Netgear's responsibility to make sure that Netgear Genie is compatible with Windows 10 and not the other way round, and when does it propose doing something about it?

The Netgear genie is compatible with Windows 10. Just read the messages here.

If you have a problem, then you need to dig a bit deeper and look for reasons. If you can say more about the problems that you see, then maybe someone can help.

What happens when you run the genie?

The fact that Windows 10 complains does not mean much. It is not infallible.

@Skiv wrote:

when does [Netgear] propose doing something about it?

Not much that Netgear can do without information. Complaining that "it doesn't work" is not much for it to go on given the experience of those who have no problems.

Message 8 of 118
GeoFrancis
Aspirant

Could you please tell me where you found 2.4.20 to download ?  Thanks.

Message 9 of 118

You could start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

It should deliver the latest version.

Also the downloads pages for your hardware.

Message 10 of 118
originalhank
Initiate

brand new ASUS laptop came with WIN10.  Netgear Genie starts loading. then a NETGEAR Genie dialouge box pops up.

"NETGEAR Genie has stopped working" 

"A problem caused the programto stopworking correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

Close Program action box

send fix info 

Message 11 of 118

Welcome aboard.

@originalhank wrote:

send fix info 

For that to happen you may have to talk to Netgear directly. This is essentially use to user. You'll have to watch this place for any suggestions for fixes.

I assume you have read all the messages before the one you tagged on to.

Before anyone can help, they may need to know a bit more. Which version of Netgear Genie are you running?

Are you actually running the standalone Genie? (Netgear also tags its web interface with the Genie label, just to confuse us all.)

The more you can say about your setup the better. We don't even know what hardware you have and what you are trying to do.

Message 12 of 118
marksit
Aspirant

Latest version of genie. win 10 build 10586.36, netgear d6200.

will not load,  "Netgear Genie has stopped working"

have run in admin mode

have run in compatability mode from xp up.......

windows troubleshooter identifies netgear genie as "incompatible program"

android app works fine, works fine also on my macbook pro  running osx 10.11.2 (el capitan)

suggestions and ideas most welcome.

Message 13 of 118
Nesimovic
Aspirant

i'm having sam problem as you are. installed it yesterday works fine on iOS but not on win10 surface pro 3...

Message 14 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Nesimovic and @marksit,

You may use the download link below for the previous version (2.4.12) of NETGEAR Genie. We are currently investigating this issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Vk92eE81a20xRjg/view?usp=sharing

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 15 of 118
Gerry_SA
Tutor

@Nesimovic

Hi,

I have Genie 2.4.20 working fine with Win10 on my Surface Pro 3, although I originally had the "stopped working" problem.

I have posted the "solution" that worked for me here.

The Win10Pcap file can be downloaded here.

I hope it may help.Smiley Happy

Regards,

Gerry

Message 16 of 118
nickva0517
Tutor

"Your app isn't compatible with Windows Insider Preview

If you try to use this app with Windows Insider Preview , it might not work correctly or might not work at all.

Go to the support website for the app developer, and check if a new or updated app is available for Windows Insider Preview ."

This is the message I received when I booted my HP TouchSmart m6 Sleekbook following my upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of days ago.  I had a similar/same notice yesterday and came back to Netgear forum to find answers on my own.  I found a number of problems, tried a few solutions mentioned, and finally reinstalled Genie.  That "worked" for the balance of the day.  But, when reboot came this morning, the above message was the result.  

So, it would seem that maybe the "smart people" at Microsoft and Netgear, that get paid to help users not have problems, should get together and make the problem go away.

thanks,

nick

Message 17 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nickva0517,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We are currently investigating this issue and working on a fix. Have you tried installing the previous version of the NETGEAR Genie program? If not, you may use the download link below.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 118
Kurt1121
Aspirant

Do you know if they are also working on a fix to the resolution issue (tiny fonts, small window)?

Message 19 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kurt1121,

This has been reported previously and the information has already been forwarded to the right department. Rest assured, we are working on a fix.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 20 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

many thanks, I was beginning to think this was the case. Now its a waiting game to see what Netgear comes up with as a fix. Followed up another communities item mean while and reverted the standard Genie back a few versions which does allow some access but not the full spec to revisit my original settings for R7000. Thanks

Message 21 of 118

@ERICTOTE wrote:

...does allow some access but not the full spec to revisit my original settings for R7000. Thanks

I don't use the Genie for much. I prefer the web interface. This is, of course, confusingly called Netgear Genie even if it is completely different.

Message 22 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Hi Michael, Totally agree with you, but for a company such as Netgear to put out a product / or updates with Software so untested & not totally compatable with one of the worlds largest products, and released to Public is not my idea of professionalism plus the not being able to easily get back into the original unit set up,beggars belief. I spent a good part of my working life from the mid 80's checking software prior to release both in the UK and the States. It appears that the race to launch new products prevails, and worry about the complaints and problems for later. Buyers Beware comes to mind. End of this weekends Gripes.

Message 23 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

You may follow the temporary work around for this issue.

1. Uninstall the NETGEAR Genie program from the computer/device.
2. Download the previous version (2.4.12) of the NETGEAR Genie.

Download link:

3. Install the program and check if it functions correctly.
4. Locate the drivers folder under C:\Program Files\NETGEAR Genie\bin and copy it to the desktop.
5. Download and install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie again using the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie/aspx

6. Look for the same folder under the same location and delete the folder.
7. Replace the folder with the folder that you pasted on the desktop from the working version of NETGEAR Genie.
8. Close the NETGEAR Genie program through the system tray.
9. Re-open the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it works.
10. The version number may display 2.4.12 since it is using the drivers for that version.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 24 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Dexter, Thanks for your notes, all OK until using the 2nd link http://netgear.com/home/ discover/apps/genie/aspx, which returns. Page not found, any further suggestions please

Message 25 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7