Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

Re: netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

Have you considered dumping Microsoft while you are at it? That is where Windows 10, the source of the problem, seems to have come from.

Netgear is not the only company picking up the pieces from Windows 10.

MK

Message 51 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

Yep.  Switched to Chrome and have had fewer problems already.

Will be using a another operating system soon.

Message 52 of 118
ec1955
Aspirant

I had Genie on my laptop which had Win 7 - I upgraded to Win 10 now I cannot reinstall Genie because I get a message that tells me that Genie is not supported on Win 10 - This is NETGEARS problem as to informing users about such issues and hopefully giving us a fix.

When I treid to give Netgear my requested serial # it said it wasn't valid!!!!

They can't even get that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 53 of 118

Are you interested in getting Netgear Genie to work in Windows 10? Or did you just come here for a moan?

If the former, then read the rest of this discussion and you will find a temporary fix for the problems that Netgear found it hard to pin down.

Message 54 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

Netgear has had plenty of time to fix this.  Even with the "temporary" fix, I am left with a tiny display on my screen which is almost unreadable.

Message 55 of 118

@Pauliee wrote:

Netgear has had plenty of time to fix this.

It took months for Netgear to pin down the problem. And that was not long ago. A month or so?

Any new version of an operating system always throws up problems. Microsoft has done all sorts of things "under the bonnet" that may not be obvious to other code writers.

It may be frustrating, but rather than have a heart attack I'd rather keep my cool and wait for developments. After all, I have other ways of controlling my various bits of Netgear hardware.

Sadly, Netgear isn't the only one hit by the screen issue. Too many software writers have failed to keep up with the insanely high resolutions that some users new have on their monitors. I'm still waiting for Nuance to get to grips with dual monitors.

Message 56 of 118
johandrwil
Aspirant

Finally found ver .12 got it to run and not shut down immediatly as newest version .20 does brand new asus G752 laptop i wish that netgear gets there s__t together to see what is going on or is this my mistake for going with this router instead of staying with D-link

Message 57 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

Help please. I got a new Dell Desktop. I connected it and the wireless was found without a problem. 

Then I downloaded genie. It downloaded and would not work, I kept getting a message stating Windows cannot open this program will let you know when it finds a solution. So, clearly Win 10 has NO solution. I went to one link that was posted in the in this thread and it gave me this message 

Requested file does not exist! So I don't know what to do. I need to make it work. I got a new Kindle and I keep putting in my password and my Kindle is not connecting. I need to trouble shoot my wireless. Plus, I really really like genie and all the information it gives me. 

Help, please! 
Also someone sent us to this link http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx I downloaded, it said complete I went to open it and got the same message. Please help! 

I tried to inset a snippet photo of what is happening however, it would not let me. 

Thank you
Angel

modem surfboard model 586180 Motorola
Netgear Dual Band Wireless- Model N600
Message 58 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

I am trying to include a snippet picture of the error message, however, when I go to pictures it is not letting me post it or I am doing something wrong on my Dell Desktop. 

Message 59 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

I have tried using this link http://netgeargenie.windows10appstore.net/win10software.html#none

It opened and then it said, Netgear Genie has stopped working a problem has been found and you must shut it down. WTH. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. 

Help someone please. How are the people who are connecting doing it? 

Message 60 of 118

You don't need Netgear Genie to configure your device so that things can use the wifi. (By the way N600 is not a model, but a standard.)

It is actually easier to do it with your browser.

For most people you can just tell the browser to go here:

http://www.routerlogin.com

If you haven't changed it, the default login details are

admin

password

Note, that is the login information for the device's control pages, it is not the same as the login details for the wifi.

By the way, if you look at the top of the modem pages, you may see that it is called Netgear Genie, just to confuse us all.

Message 61 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

OK, I am not very computer savvy. My computer is working! I need Netgear Genie to work, period. 

My Kindle is not connecting, I am wondering if my password is wrong. 

If N600 is not the model number where do I find the real model number. 

Bottom line I hate Win 10, I never had trouble with Window 7 Pro, everything connected without a problem. 

Can someone please give me a link that works so I can download a verison of Netgear Genie that works. Please

Ty

Angel

I am using Chrome

My computer, modem , router, Iphone all work, I just cannot connect the new Kindle I want to connect. 

However, that is not the main issue, the main issue is Netgear is not working on a 2 month old computer and has not since the day I downloaded it on my new computer! 

Message 62 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

Help please I am not computer savy I am an older female- late 60's and what you are saying to do makes no sense to me I found the genie files in the registry, however, I could not find the drivers folder. I found many other things about Genie. Is there a way to post a snippet shot into the replies? 

I was able to see the genie by signing into the netgear using the password/admin and it showed me the same information I would see on genie. Then I was able to get into the analytics, however, I still cannot get the Netgear Genie to work without getting an error message and it closes. I have tried many links. I don't really understand how to do your work around. I would appreciate some help please. 

I have a fairly new modem and my router is less than a year old 

Dell does not know what to do to help me connect this. 

Angel

WNDR3400v3

Firmware Version
V1.0.1.2_1.0.51

WNDR3400v3      

Mortorola Modem Surfboard 586180

Message 63 of 118

@Angel4autism wrote:

I need Netgear Genie to work, period. 

No you don't. Forget about Netgear Genie for the time being. It is a new fangled thing that just adds  a bit to the old way of doing things.

Did you click the link in my message? It should open a page in your web browser. At the top of that page it should say Netgear Genie. This will give you much more control over your modem than the standalone software.

If you can't click that link and open the modem's interface, try copying the link and pasting it into your browser.

If it doesn't work in Chrome, try Internet Explorer. Chrome doesn't always play nice with some devices.That could also be why your downloads fail.

Here it is again:

http://www.routerlogin.com

When it asks you to login, the default username is admin and the password is password.

@Angel4autism wrote:
If N600 is not the model number where do I find the real model number. 

Look at the label on the bottom of the modem. It will say something like D1234 or DGN1234. (I just made those numbers up, it is the letters that matter, then the numbers from your hardware.)

@Angel4autism wrote:

Can someone please give me a link that works so I can download a verison of Netgear Genie that works.

At the moment there are problems with Netgear Genie and Windows 10. That's what this discussion is all about. You can make it work, but it takes some messing around that isn't easy for someone not familiar with how PCs work. Come to that, even experienced users have problem with it. That is why I advise trying this alternative approach.

If you can find the model number of your device, there is a support page here for it.

http://support.netgear.com/

That will have various things that you can download, including a manual and Netgear Genie.

By the way, age is irrelevant when it comes to technology. But, if you must throw numbers around, I am older than you.

Message 64 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

Why are you talking in a condescending manner to me. So, you are older than me, maybe you were in the computer field I don't know. Cleary many seniors are not as computer savvy as younger people! 

Also, if you read my second message it shows I already did what you suggested, I went to the login page, put admin etc, that is how I was able to check my password. I was just trying to understand how to get Genie to work. Clearly no one can state it in a very simple easy to understand manner, because it seems it is not an easy fix for anyone. 

If you also notice at the bottom of my message I put in the numbers I got from the Genie information. 

I assume there is no way to get this to work. I called Dell Tech Support and they could not help. 

However, I figured out by myself, to go to the router log in and find my password and I realized I was in Netgear Genie. 

I am not sure why your responses are so aggressive, however, I appreciate your trying to help. Thankfully I already found the answer. 

Age does matter........when I was a child we had the first TV on our block, it was B&W and had three TV stations and they ended at midnight playing the national anthem. I am a retired nurse. I am not a computer tech or a software wiz. I was told to never go into the registry, I tried and could not find the driver folder so I could not figure out how to do what Dexter suggested. 

I guess I will just give up on trying to get Genie to work. 

Peace out

Angel

"

Angel

WNDR3400v3

Firmware Version
V1.0.1.2_1.0.51

WNDR3400v3      

Mortorola Modem Surfboard 586180

Message 65 of 118

Apologies if it came across as condescending. You started off saying you knew nothing about PCs, so I kept it at a straightforward "Do this, Do that" approach.

I explained that you do no need the standalone genie. You then insisted that you do. I replied that you don't. I hardly think that that is aggressive.

You now know that I was correct as you have successfully entered the device's web interface.

As you have discovered, you now have access to the other thing that they call Netgear Genie. (Netgear does itself no favours by using the Netgear Genie label to describe both the on-line interface and the standalone software.)

As this whole discussion shows, a lot of people have trouble getting the standalone genie to work. (For me, it has always worked.) Fairly recently, Netgear worked out what is going wrong. I think we can safely assume that it now has people working on a fix.

I am glad that you figured out how to get into the Genie yourself. You could have saved some effort simply by following what I advised.

Now that you are in there, have you still got a problem with connecting the Kindle?

You say that you have connected the Dell. Is that by wifi? If so, then the wifi is turned on. (One recent visitor to this place was scratching his head about broken wifi until he found the on switch.)

When you connected the Dell, did you have to fill in a password to access the wifi? If so, then the Kindle should ask for the same details. (I own Nexus and Samsung wifi devices, but I assume that they use similar login procedures.)

You can get the software for your modem here:

NETGEAR Support | Downloads | WNDR3400v3

If that does not work, then just search for WNDR3400v3.

When you get there you should find this:

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

It is yet another link to the Netgear Genie.

If you want the user manual, you will have to use the United States slot to get it in English.

Here is a link to the User Manual

The instructions for adding wifi stuff to your network starts on page 20.

On page 31, where it says Change WPA Security Option and Password,  you can read about setting and changing the details that people have to use to get int the wifi network.

Apologies to anyone arriving here looking for the latest news about getting the standalone genie to work in Windows 10. As you can see there has been a minor digression.

Message 66 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

Thanks for your note and information. I gather you do not grok how you appear condesending. It's OK, it's a male/ feamle thing. 

1. I have a Netgear Router NOT modem as I mentioned several times and it says on at least one of my messages at the bottom my modem is a motorola surfboard. 

2. I found the fix myself, your message just confirmed it after the fact. The fix using the netgear log in. I still don't have Genie, I am assuming they will fix it at some point. 

3. Yes, thank you, I was able to link my Kindle. As I thought and stated earlier, I was thinking there was something I was doing wrong with my password. Once I got into the Genie I saw what I was doing wrong - ie, the number I was missing. As soon as I put in the correct password it connected Kindle to Wifi.  That was the main reason I needed to get into Genie ASAP. I have been working without it for the last two months. 

3. My firmware is up to date. No problems there. 

4. It always worked for me until I got a new computer with Win 10, when I hooked up my wifi and then tried to download Genie it did not work and has never worked on this computer. If Windows puts out a new product ( which they do every few years, Netgear should have the kinks worked out pretty quickly. My modem did not have any problems. 

I realize Genie is a sepearte application from my router, however, I like when it starts up and I can see what is going on with my Internet. No biggie, now I just have to log in to the router log in to get that information.

Everything is working well except for the Genie. I am sure they will fix it in a few months. 

Thanks for the links they are good to have all in one place. The best way to check for updates is to go into genie, advanced settings and then update. As stated my firmware is updated I do not know of anything else I would need to update on my router. 

Thanks, have a good week. 

Message 67 of 118

@Angel4autism wrote:
I like when it starts up and I can see what is going on with my Internet. No biggie, now I just have to log in to the router log in to get that information.

I am not familiar with the Kindle, but there is a Netgear Genie for Android (again they keep using the same term in different circumstances) that would allow this. It does not let you control much, but it does display the status and can give you some idea of what is going on on your Internet.

@Angel4autism wrote:
If Windows puts out a new product ( which they do every few years, Netgear should have the kinks worked out pretty quickly. My modem did not have any problems. 

"Windows" does not put out new products. That's down to Microsoft, but Microsoft has said that Windows 10 is the end of the road for the Windows treadmill.

I missed the bit where you said you had connected the Kindle. (I have just checked and can't see any reference to that.) There was too much going on in this discussion.

By the way, you are wise to avoid going anywhere near the Windows registry. That is an "in extremis" move that everyone should avoid unless they know what they are doing and really need to get in there. In this case, you would gain little.

Message 68 of 118
kalona
Initiate

Mine is a brand new Windows 10 computer and genie does not work at all

Message 69 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

And again, hoiw long before they fix this...it's been several months now...do your job IT Netgear Genie techs. !

Message 70 of 118

Indeed, months since it came up, but more like weeks since Netgear reported that it knew what was going wrong. The delay may hint at the complexity of the problem.

It can't help that the bug does not hit everyone. I have just installed the latest version of the standalone Genie (2.4.18.0) on a brand new 64-bit PC and it works just fine.

Message 71 of 118
Angel4autism
Tutor

Thanks makes no sense. I have a brand new Dell Desktop computer. I had it for a month then set it up with Dell support. Genie would not work from the start. Why would it work for you, but not for so many of us? I did not upgrade I put it on a brand new computer too. You mentioned in an earlier post that YOU used a work around because you are computer savvy.

We should not have to use a work around. If you figured out how to make Genie work, Netgear should be able to do the same and make it work for all of us!

Windows 10 has been out for months. The problem started with people as soon as Win 10 was released;over 8 months is enough time to fix the problem! Just my thoughts! I am very disappointed in Netgear. 

Message 72 of 118

@Angel4autism wrote:

Why would it work for you, but not for so many of us? 

The people who turn up here are those with problems. Why complain if life is good?

It is quite possible that the genie works for 99% of users, maybe more. That could be why it took Netgear so long to isolate the issue. Maybe none of the developers, or anyone else in Netgear, had this problem. (I have seen similar freak failures with other software.)

I have put the genie on at least three Windows 10 machines, two 64-bit one 32-bit, two "old builds" updated to Windows 10, one shiny new box that I rolled myself. It has worked on all of them.

It is a pity that Netgear has not been more forthcoming in telling people what it has discovered. Then they might be more forgiving and prepared to wait for the solution.

Message 73 of 118
Littleharbor
Guide

Just to be clear on this NO NETGEAR products will EVER cross my threshhold again!... more over I will advertise /proclaim to the world (I travel world wide on a rgular basis) how utterly rediculous and in competent

this company is!

Please if you are reading this having not purchased a Netgear product yet; Save yourself!!! Choose ANY other

wireless router out there!!! Garrenteed you will be happier and have less aggrivation!

Net gear is a example of WHAT NOT TO DO...

Littleharbor@yahoo.com

Message 74 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

I installed an old version of Genie, still waiting for a workable update.  My current display is barely readable because it's so tiny on my 4k TV.  When is Netgear going to enter the 21st century ?

Message 75 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7