Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk app firware out of date

jeanclaude71
Follower

nighthawk app firware out of date

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum and not exactly a seasoned network guy...

My nighthawk app says my firware is out of date but when I access my router through my laptop it states I have the latest firmware. Also when I click on connect with remote management, it brings me to a page that says your products but it's blank...and if I try to click on open routerlogin.net, it opens my router but the router states I have the latest firmware...

I'm thoroughly confused...so I'm assuming I can't use the app on my phone? I have an Iphone with the latest iphone update...

any help would be highly appreciated...

thanks in advance

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: nighthawk app firware out of date

You can find the latest firmware here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500.aspx#download

Check to see if you run that version and if so, nothing to worry about. The Nighthawk app is simply buggy

Message 2 of 6
myersw
Master

You can use the app, but I warn against that to everyone. Seems to cause soft bricks.

If you have a PC that is or can be attached to the router via Ethernet the manual way is the safest way. Can read about how to do that in the user manual, available for download at same site as link above. The downloaded file will need to be unzipped and will contain a text file with some info including, usually, a how to install the firmware. 

I also recommend that the auto update be turned off as that seems to also cause issues for folks. 

Message 3 of 6
MelV14
Aspirant

I seem to have the same problem with the app and it seems the firmware version for Cox is different from the others so I'm pretty sure that's why it keeps telling me my firmware is out of date on the app.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@MelV14 wrote:

I seem to have the same problem with the app and it seems the firmware version for Cox is different ...

As per the tag you talk of the C7000 - to my knowledge, there is no cable router (Cnnnn) support for the Nighthawk App at all.

Message 5 of 6

@MelV14 wrote:

I seem to have the same problem with the app and it seems the firmware version for Cox is different from the others so I'm pretty sure that's why it keeps telling me my firmware is out of date on the app.

If you have the C7000, then there is nothing that you can do about the firmware. This is in the hands of your ISP.

Many ISPs are reluctant to update modems, especially when you have the cheek to go out and buy your own device. They want to lock you into a rented modem that makes them money.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7