Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: problems logging in to Nighthawk 7000 app

jdtodd
Aspirant

problems logging in to Nighthawk 7000 app

I am caught in an infinite loop. For some reason, I couldn't get into the Nighhawk app on my phone, so I created a new password. Now I try to access it, but it keeps "admin" as my username and when I type "password" as the default, I can't get in. Then I have to try to reset my password, which recreates the same scenario. What gives?

Thanks, JT

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 19
schumaku
Guru

R7000? Firmware version? Nighthawk App version and mobile OS - probably iOS?

The local login is always username admin - nothing to change. Only for the remote acess, the router is linked to the Netgear account (same as used here for the communiy access).

@ChristineT anther magic bug in the air for months...

Message 2 of 19

@schumaku wrote:

...the router is linked to the Netgear account (same as used here for the communiy access).

I don't know where that idea came from.

My remote access account has nothing to do with my Netgear community account.

Remember, before you can get at remote access via an app on a mobile device you have to be connected to the wifi. And that is yet another set of usernames and passwords.

Message 3 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

...the router is linked to the Netgear account (same as used here for the communiy access).

I don't know where that idea came from.

You can have as many Netgear accounts as you want - most work with just one.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

My remote access account has nothing to do with my Netgear community account.

That's the freedom of choice. Some people like me are simple minds.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Remember, before you can get at remote access via an app on a mobile device you have to be connected to the wifi. And that is yet another set of usernames and passwords.

Of course. The Nighthawk App does enforce the authentication to - you guessed it - a Netgear account. And that's the account used for pairing purposes. It's a Netgear account, too. 

Message 4 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

The problem is, I use my Netgear password and it tells me it's invalid. However, I just used it to get here and answer this message. Netgear likes it, but the Nighthawk app doesn't. What gives?

Message 5 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

OK, so my smartphone is already connected to the wifi and the wifi is working.

Are you saying I have to use my router login for the Nighthawk app?

Message 6 of 19

@jdtodd wrote:

Are you saying I have to use my router login for the Nighthawk app?

Remote login is multi-step process.

• First you login to the wifi with your mobiler device
  • Then you "Remote login" with the credentials you use for your "Netgear Account" which is usually the one you use for Open DNS, ReadyShare and the like. (For some people, this can be the same details that you use to get in here – many users have separate accounts.)
  • Then, if asked, you may need to feed in your local access details.

The exact details depend on several things, including the app version and how you have things set up.

Message 7 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

I need to get more precise about it here. Where I am is: I pull up the Nighthawk app and I'm at the login page. Username = admin.

The default (password) doesn't work, neither does my Netgear password, nor does the password on my router. I'm out of options.

Message 8 of 19

@jdtodd wrote:

Where I am is: I pull up the Nighthawk app and I'm at the login page. Username = admin.

That is also not conclusive.

The initial window on launching the app can display a choice of local verus remote access.

Message 9 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

OK, I have uninstalled the Nighthawk app and am reinstalling.

I now have to allow for auto Connect. I assume I allow this, but what does it do?

Message 10 of 19

What App are we talking about here? So far you have mentioned "my phone" and "my smartphone". But it is Android or iThing? I am familiar with Android.

There is no "auto Connect" on the Android app itself. But you may have to enable remote connect on the device itself.

By the way, your footer keeps referring to the A7000 which is a WiFi USB Adapter. Your subject says "Nighthawk 7000", but you never did answer the question about what that means. It won't be the A7000. Is it, as suggested, the R7000?

I ask because that might be important when investigating how to enable "remote management". Looking back, it isn't obvious to me that you have done this.

This isn't necessary of you are trying to use the app to get at the router on your own wifi network. But even there we don't have enough information to go by. For example, we don't know what modem sits in front of your router. This could be important because it may be getting in the way of the app's access to your router.

Message 11 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

My phone is an Android.

I have had access before with the same modem, so it wouldn't seem likely that the modem would be the problem.

You're right: it was the R7000.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 12 of 19

@jdtodd wrote:

I have had access before with the same modem, so it wouldn't seem likely that the modem would be the problem.

I didn't ask about past results.

What is this modem? It might be important.

@jdtodd wrote:

You're right: it was the R7000.

So now your footer says R7000P. Not the same thing.

You may think that it is nit picking to ask about details., but they matter.

We are slowly eliciting details of what is going on at your end. The longer you take to provide details, the longer it will take to work out what is going on and to get you back in business.

Message 13 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

The modem is the Arris TM1602

I uninstalled the app on my Android, was able to login on the Netgear page of the app, was able to authenticate by having the email sent to my email address, then when I get to the Nighthawk app page login, that's where I have the problem.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 14 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

It's the AC 1900. I selected the other one because it didn't give me the correct choice.

Message 15 of 19

@jdtodd wrote:

It's the AC 1900. I selected the other one because it didn't give me the correct choice.

I don't know where you were looking but the R7000 is there to pick. (See below.)

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 16 of 19

@jdtodd wrote:
...then when I get to the Nighthawk app page login, that's where I have the problem.

This screen?

Screenshot_20191025-102544_Nighthawk.jpg

Message 17 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

Yes. That's where none of my passwords work.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 19
jdtodd
Aspirant

Solution found: I found the password that worked. It was an older one that I hadn't used in a while.

Thanks, JT

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7