Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Anywhere Access" in Nighthawk app not working

"Anywhere Access" in Nighthawk app not working

Just bought a new RAX75 router and am trying to access it remotely via the Nighthawk app "Anywhere Access" feature. App works great while I am at home logged into my network via wifi.

Here's what I did:

• Rebooted my router umpteen times.
  • Deleted and re-installed the Nighthawk app. (v2.6.0.13
  • Updated router to the latest firmware (V1.0.3.98_1.0.46)

When I am not on my network at home, and try "Connect via Anywhere Access", the app shows my router "Disconnected"

Anyone have any ideas???

P.S. I had to pick a model number to post this. Netgear doesn't give the RAX75 as an option. So I picked RAX 80 instead (hope this doesn't matter)

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Have you set up Remote Access? (Netgear recently started calling it Anywhere Access.)

It isn't clear to me that you have done that step.

@TheComputerHyp wrote:

P.S. I had to pick a model number to post this. Netgear doesn't give the RAX75 as an option. So I picked RAX 80 instead (hope this doesn't matter)

Yes, this place can be messy. You might have had more like in the section given over to your device, even though the issue is with the app.

Message 2 of 24

Yes. One oif the first things I did was turn on "Enable Anywhere Access" within the app settings.

Message 3 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Disable and re-enable in the App does not help?

Using ISP DNS potentially blocking useful services?

Message 4 of 24

I deleted and reinstalled the app. That did not cure the problem.

I have never had any problems with my ISP blocking anything. And by the way, I was successfully using this app with my prior Netgear router to access it remotely. This problem only occured when I migrated to a new Netgear router (RAX75).

Message 5 of 24
2day
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with a RAX80. Anywhere Access feature displays the error message:

" Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access".  Remote access worked perfectly before updating firmare and App to the newest versions.

Message 6 of 24
paulroady
Aspirant

In the app i slide the button to green but it auto goes back to grey/white.

Is there a fix to this?

netgear app version 2.6.4.1264

router version 1.0.3.102

Message 7 of 24
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi paulroady, 

Have you had a moment to setup anywhere access within the router's admin page? 

Christian 

Message 8 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R completely new there should be a control to enable Access Anywhere control in the routers Web UI...

Newer router User Manuals (e.g. Nighthawk AX8 User Manual  from p.110) just make a mess mixing the terms "Remote Access" in the section title following by "Setup Remote Management" and later on for using what is configued above "Use Remote Access".

None of this is related to the Access Anywhere, except the next completely confusing section titled "Remotely Access Your Router Using the Nighthawk App". 

"You can use the Nighthawk app to remotely access your router and change its settings.
Before you can use remote access with the Nighthawk app, you must update your
router’s firmware and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device."

The key that Access Anywhere (formerly named Remote Management, but not as per above using na exposed port 8080!) can only be enabled in the App - and never on the router Web UI.

Message 9 of 24
Bing2020
Aspirant

Hi TheComputerhyp

unisntall/reisntall app does not cure this issue. 

Here is my suggestion:

1. reboot your RAX75/80

2.after boot up, connect mobile phone to your RAX75/80 and then launch app to dashboard

3. Lead to page "Dashboard -> hambur menu --> Settings-->Anywhere Access

4.Turn off and then turn on toggle button "Enable Anywhere Access". Just re-enable Anywhere Access.

check if you can renable success, if yes, then check if still show offline remotely,

Thanks!

Message 10 of 24
Ivanhoefb
Initiate

I have an RAX48, I had the same problem. I found turning off Bitdefender solved the issue, you can reenable it after.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 24
bizzybiz
Initiate

Had this issue as well.Use to work and just stopped. Went into app and turned it off and back on and I was able to connect 🙂

Message 12 of 24
Ron09
Tutor

Note: Actual router model is RAX35, but it's not in the list.  Also using the 6250 Extender.

I know this problem has been reported before, but not recently, and from what I've read in prior postings thery don't resolve my problem.  I'm running the latest firmware on my router & extender, and I've re-booted the router.  I'm using app V2.10.0.16 on my Apple/IOS phone.  When I attempt to enable Anywhere Access (ie. Remote Management) I get the error message "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access". Using the app seems to be the only method to enable this.  Any suggestions to try?? Thanks, Ron

Message 13 of 24

@Ron09 wrote:

When I attempt to enable Anywhere Access (ie. Remote Management) I get the error message "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access". Using the app seems to be the only method to enable this.  Any suggestions to try??

As this long running discussion shows, Netgear has made a mess of this whole area, what with changing names and confusing people with "Remote Access", "Anywhere Access" and "Remote Management". Then there is the relentless pressure on everyone to use apps rather than browsers to manage things.

I assume that you are doing this in the mobile app and that you are connected to the wifi from the RAX35. Have you sniffed around in the browse graphical user interface (GUI)?

According to the manual for your device, not always the most reliable source of information, you should be able to use this to set up Remote access. 

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

Check the section in the manual Remote access.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 14 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Ron09 wrote:

When I attempt to enable Anywhere Access (ie. Remote Management) I get the error message "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access". Using the app seems to be the only method to enable this.  Any suggestions to try??

As this long running discussion shows, Netgear has made a mess of this whole area, what with changing names and confusing people with "Remote Access", "Anywhere Access" and "Remote Management". Then there is the relentless pressure on everyone to use apps rather than browsers to manage things.

I assume that you are doing this in the mobile app and that you are connected to the wifi from the RAX35. Have you sniffed around in the browse graphical user interface (GUI)?

For the App based Access Anywhere feature it does not matter if and how the Remote Access/Remote Management is configured: The App resp. the cloud access does not make use of it.

Older AX router User Manuals like the RAX35 one cover this under the subjet "Remotely access your router using the Nighthawk app" (p.65), newer User Manuals like the RAX35v2 (p.105) cover this under the subject under "Connect to your router with Anywhere
Access*. 

Either way, the Remote Management (exposing a port like 8443 [misleadingly abused for http] and accessed like http://134.177.0.123:8443 covered under "Set up remote management" has no relevance for this dear @michaelkenward 

Message 15 of 24

@michaelkenward wrote:

Nighthawk RAX35 | WiFi 6 Router | NETGEAR Support

Pages 65 to 66.

Maybe they are lying.

Message 16 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Nighthawk RAX35 | WiFi 6 Router | NETGEAR Support

Pages 65 to 66.

Maybe they are lying.

No, it's correct - just confusing. However, only the lower 3rd applies to the App based  Anywhere Access

RAX35, p.65:

---

Remotely access your router using the Nighthawk app
You can use the Nighthawk app to remotely access your router and change its settings.
Before you can use remote access with the Nighthawk app, you must update your
router’s firmware and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device.
For more information about how to update your router’s firmware, see Check for new
firmware and update the router on page 52.
To download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device, visit
https://www.netgear.com/home/apps-services/nighthawk-app/.

---

RAX35v2, p.105 (updated wording at least here, above it's the mess we both complain on...)

---

Connect to your router with Anywhere Access
The Anywhere Access feature on the Nighthawk app allows you to connect to your
router when you're away from home and change its settings. Before you can use the
Anywhere Access feature on the Nighthawk app, you must update yourrouter’s firmware
and download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device.
For more information about how to update your router’s firmware, see Check for new
firmware and update the router on page 92.
To download the latest Nighthawk app for your mobile device, visit
https://www.netgear.com/home/apps-services/nighthawk-app/.
---

Anything above - even if both is in the section "Remote Access", including the sub-section for Web UI config for "Remote Management" - does not apply to the cloud based Anywhere Access.

Far to many Netgear customers have issues with this basic consumer feature which must work right away. Still suspect some overly smart ISP or "secured" DNS services are blocking certain cloud domains (and URLs) required for the registration.

Message 17 of 24
Ron09
Tutor

As I mention above I'm running the Netgear Model RAX35 router with Nighthawk app  The router has the latest firmware, and it's the latest app running on both my Apple iPhone & iPad.  When I toggle Anywhere Access I get the error message "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access".  I can't seem to find a fix for this anywhere.  I've contacted Netgear, but without purchasing extended warranty, they won't talk to me.  The documentation in the manuals seems to be either out-of-date or not complete.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Message 18 of 24
LargeAntenna
Aspirant

I cannot connect anywhere access via app. I found the problem. If I take the router out of AP mode and enable remote management on web version of router login it works. Put router in AP mode since it's an access point, then it stops working. Wasn't like this when I bought it
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 19 of 24

@LargeAntenna wrote:
Put router in AP mode since it's an access point, then it stops working. Wasn't like this when I bought it

Anywhere Access (Remote Management) has never worked in AP mode. It is a router side thing.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Perhaps you originally had the R8000P in router mode.

Message 20 of 24
Ron09
Tutor

Mine is in Router mode, which is where I want it to be.  However I still cannot enable Anywhere Access.  I'm still getting that same error messge.  This toggle switch is on my Nighthawk app, it is not available via the web.

Message 21 of 24

@Ron09
Mine is in Router mode, which is where I want it to be.

Unfortunately, this conversation has become very messy with different people complaining about different devices.

You seem to have joined in several other conversations. You might do better to start a fresh question in the section for your hardware

That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

While you may think this is an app issue Anywhere Access depends on a combination of hardware, firmware and apps. The app picks up after the first two are set up.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

If that does not work, you can start by setting up Remote access as explained in the manual. You are right, the manual is out of date – they now call is Anywhere Access. Worse, the instructions are confusing, even when you now what they are supposed to mean.

Still, it is worth reading. Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. 

Read the bit Set up remote management

You said earlier:  

When I toggle Anywhere Access I get the error message "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling Anywhere Access".

Toggle where? In the app? I can't tell if you have aimed a browser at your RAX35. This is the way into setting up the Netgear Cloud (mynetgear.com) account that you need before your app can get at your router.

Message 22 of 24
Ron09
Tutor

I got Anywhere Access enabled.  I had to do a "reset", and "new install" using the app.  It appears to enable by default.  Thanks!

Message 23 of 24

@Ron09 wrote:

I got Anywhere Access enabled.  I had to do a "reset", and "new install" using the app.  It appears to enable by default.  Thanks!

Excellent news.

The reset can be crucial. It isn't always necessary but can clear out remembered rubbish after a firmware update.

I'd mark this as "Solved" but @TheComputerHyp started this discussion and hasn't said if they have tried this move.

Heaven only knows what @LargeAntenna has tried. Some feedback would help.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7