Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 AC 1900 Smart Wifi router blocks Outlook from connecting to the outgoing smtp server

Bob0077
Tutor

r7000 AC 1900 Smart Wifi router blocks Outlook from connecting to the outgoing smtp server

After many hours of work by level 2 technicians at Cox (my ISP) and Microsoft it has been resolved that my r7000 wireless router is blocking Outlook from connecting to the outgoing smtp mail server.  This happened out of the blue adfter several months of using Outlook successfully on my HP Spectre x360 laptop.  Also, I cannot send email from this Outlook account through my smartphone (Galaxy Note 5) when using the same wifi network.  We proved the issue with the router by bypassing it (hard wired an old laptop directly to the modem) after which outgoing email sent propertly when using Outlook.  My new computer does not have an ethernet port on it so hard wiring it is not a stop gap solution.  I have done a factory reset on the router to no effect.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get the router to allow Outlook to connect to the outgoing (smtp) server? 

Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: r7000 AC 1900 Smart Wifi router blocks Outlook from connecting to the outgoing smtp server

any chance the IP is being blocked for some reason, try using old laptop WAN Mac in router setup...internet setup select use pc mac

Message 2 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: r7000 AC 1900 Smart Wifi router blocks Outlook from connecting to the outgoing smtp server

Hi @Bob0077,

1. Please provide me the following information:

Outgoing Server:

Outgoing Port:

2. Are you using the Outlook client or webmail?

3. Can you send out an email on your phone using mobile data?

4. Have you tried using the old laptop through the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Bob0077,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 11
Ponyski
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, did anyone resolve this issue?

Message 5 of 11
Bob0077
Tutor

I was able to fix the issue by removing the printer from the laptop and then reinstalling it and rebooting. Had an HP Tech walk me through it and she said that software updates on the router can cause the problem. Don't just download the driver for the printer again but completely remove the printer via the control panel and reinstall it.
Message 6 of 11
Bob0077
Tutor

See below. Thx
Message 7 of 11
Bob0077
Tutor

*Dexter...
Message 8 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Bob0077,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 11
KingwoodJim
Initiate

Two weeks dealing with Suddenlink technical support but same issue.  New Orbi RBR40 blocks outbound smtp email and inbound imap (all ports whether ssl or not) from being sent out from pc/outlook.  Same pc/outlook config works fine when connected to Internet via iPhone hotspot or old Apple Extreem router.  Did reset of Orbi and much more but no joy.  Suddenlink tech says they cannot 'see' the Orbi on the back side of their Aris Modem (may or may not be a hint as to problem ... not sure).

Final solution was to 'chain' the new Orbi to the old Apple Extreme.  Best of both worlds.  Now Suddenlink 'sees' the Apple Extreme and pc/outlook send/recieve smtp/imap email just fine.  The 'chained' Orbi + satellites give great wifi coverage in the house.

Message 10 of 11
jwhart
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with the Orbi RBK50. Would you please share how you daisy chained and configured the Airport Extreme?

Thanks,

Jack

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7