suggestions for new firmware R8000P

mouthman
Aspirant

suggestions for new firmware R8000P

Message 1 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

Re: suggestions for new firmware R8000P

On the r8000p there should be a way to block people out of your network. Now if you block a person (on mac -level) unknown to you, they have no internet, but can still snoop around in your network. That is how a neighberhood-kid was able to obtain my registration-code and thus was able to constantly change my wifi-password, making it impossible for my daughter to follow her schooling via the internet. I'm having my router swapped (thanks Amazone) because of course he has this code written down somewhere.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10

@mouthman wrote:

On the r8000p there should be a way to block people out of your network. Now if you block a person (on mac -level) unknown to you, they have no internet, but can still snoop around in your network.

Really? How?

@mouthman wrote:

That is how a neighberhood-kid was able to obtain my registration-code and thus was able to constantly change my wifi-password, making it impossible for my daughter to follow her schooling via the internet. I'm having my router swapped (thanks Amazone) because of course he has this code written down somewhere.

How can someone get into the controls of your router without knowing the router's login password?

Message 3 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

There seem to be hacker who can get past these passwords I've changed these passwords several times.... he gets hold of it every time. If he gets blocked, he takes revenge by blocking a device or changing the password of the 192.168.1.1. I,ve got him there... but the ultimate security issue netgear could takkle is this issue. I've just given up.... I'm paying for someones internet

Message 4 of 10

@mouthman wrote:

There seem to be hacker who can get past these passwords I've changed these passwords several times.... he gets hold of it every time.

Which passwords? Wifi?

@mouthman wrote:

If he gets blocked, he takes revenge by blocking a device or changing the password of the 192.168.1.1.

I find it hard to see who someone can do that unless they are on your local network.

If you change the router's admin password to something complicated, unless you have enabled Anywhere Access, and they know the complicated username and passwords for that cloud service, they have to be on your network to change it to something else.

So I'm having a hard time understand what your problem is.

@mouthman wrote:

... but the ultimate security issue netgear could takkle is this issue.

Which issue would that be?

Tell us exactly how this person breaks into your system and maybe someone can begin to see how you might fix it.

If you change the admin username along with the SSID and passwords for the wifi, it is hard to see how someone can break in from the outside world. Friends and family, or course, are a different matter.

Message 5 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

How? I haven't got a clue. I used to be an admin, if I used to be a hacker maybe I could give you an answer.

Message 6 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

Yes, wifi

Why is this about my knowledge? Netgear has changed several things (like me being able to login to my router from 20 miles away .... Why is it so hard to believe that a kid from down the street can login to my router. Netgear has taken routerlogin.com down and changed the way you login to your router the first time ...  All on my advice. So yes a kid can get into my router and onto my network and change stuf.... how he got my wifi password? I don't know (maybe I should have used VPN more often. I have given up... ok I'll pay for the internet of someone else, no problem... Can we get back ontopic? Update the firmware so someone can't get onto my network when I block him or her.

Oh yeah and I can't find a way to change the admin username, I can change the password, but I can't change the admin username... good point for a firmware update

Message 7 of 10

@mouthman wrote:

Why is this about my knowledge?

It is about my knowledge. I am tryimg to understand how this intruder gets into your system.

My questions are designed to home in on the weak points in Netgear's firmware. Unfortunately, I can't see any step-by-step instructions that would let me to do that.

As I said earlier, you are pretty well the only person who has turned up here with this as a big issue. (Perhaps you can point me at the messages I have missed from people who share your concerns.)

In the past, such intrusions have been easily blocked by simply following the usual advice on setting up secure passwords and usernames.

No one can get into your router's settings if you have a secure password. Unless you have enabled "remote management" an invader has to be on your own local network to get in. (See Set Up Remote Management in the manual.)

Similarly, getting on through the wifi is incredibly difficult, and there are ways to make it even harder. (Turn off the SSID broadcast, for example.)

@mouthman wrote:

Can we get back ontopic? Update the firmware so someone can't get onto my network when I block him or her.

That is already implemented, unless you can explain to the Netgear techies how it doesn't work for you. They need those step-by-step details before they can do more.

@mouthman wrote:

Oh yeah and I can't find a way to change the admin username, I can change the password, but I can't change the admin username... good point for a firmware update

That one comes up every month or so, even though it brings minimal benefits beyond giving users a warm glow. (See above.) It may be something that exists on newer devices, but the chances of Netgear changing how it works on the hundreds of old devices are small.

Feel free to post it in the place reserved for that very purpose:

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

found it... no, remote management is'nt turned on.

Maybe I can turn it on for only this computer

Message 9 of 10
mouthman
Aspirant

found it... no remote management is'nt turned on.

Maybe I can turn it on for just this computer? no that's a bit of a risk

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7