Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

2 Questions regarding backhaul and SFP media converter

kyle-io
Follower

2 Questions regarding backhaul and SFP media converter

Hi everyone I have a few questions regarding my Nighthawk Mesh MR63 AX1800.

The first is regarding using the backhaul feature. My home had network cables ran when it was built, I just haven't utilized them yet, and I'm noticed that infrequently the satellites will drop connection - which also occured on my old mesh system. I think this is probably due to it being a newer house, and the satellites being on different floors. I know you can backhaul these, my question is, do I need any kind of specific network switch to make this work, or will any do? Should I be looking out for anything when I purchase a switch?

My second question is regarding using an SFP Media Converter. I have Fibre internet, and I know on most actual routers, I would be able to buy an SFP Media Converter and get rid of the router provided by my ISP which would be great, as it's rather big and clunky. Would this work with the router on my Nighthawk Mesh system? I thought I read somewhere that some mesh systems may not work with something like this.

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 2 Questions regarding backhaul and SFP media converter

Hy kyle-io, 

Were you able to get a switch working with your mesh system? We have not received any feedback of the use of a SFp Media Converter with the Nighthawk Mesh system. However, we do recommend that a modem is paired with the Nighthawk Mesh system. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7