Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

AX1800 MK63 how many satellites can I add

JHAnd
Aspirant

AX1800 MK63 how many satellites can I add

I purchased two AX1800 MK63 sets from Costco. Can I use the second router as a satellite? Does it need to be set to bridge mode? How many satellites can I add in total? Can I hard wire one of the satellites or the second router to help boost signal across the house?
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: AX1800 MK63 how many satellites can I add

@JHAnd wrote:
I purchased two AX1800 MK63 sets from Costco. Can I use the second router as a satellite?

I don't think so ... Netgear should start offering add-on satellites instead.

@JHAnd wrote:
Does it need to be set to bridge mode? How many satellites can I add in total?

This would create a dedicated second Mesh with the router and the satellites.

@JHAnd wrote:
Can I hard wire one of the satellites or the second router to help boost signal across the house?

The What is an Ethernet backhaul connection and how do I set it up on my Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System? is vague, stating one satellite can be wired direct. 

Missing in the KB is the information what is required if one does connect a switch for connecting two or more satellites. Further on, the switch requirements are not documented. A non-managed switch would most likely work, more  would be some Smart Managed Plus type switches where we either have loop detection processing have in place, and on the or Smart Managed Pro where STPcritical is enabled by default.  It's clear that e.g. Orbi and many more proprietary Mesh systems are using STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) - a switch which does participate in STP is a show-stopper ... thus it must be disabled switch-wide (yeah, STP does act over all VLANs).

Early 2020 information on this system was that is supports max. four devices in a Mesh, and no wired backhaul ... this information is no longer correct in my understanding ... but we have no information on these details in the product docs, in the tech specs, ...

@arunkmonythese are typical questions and issues we have seen several times before.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7