Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Adding Satellite to a Costco NightHawk Mesh System

MTUser2013
Tutor

Adding Satellite to a Costco NightHawk Mesh System

I am not sure I selected the right model. But, it is the mesh system that came from my purchase at Costco. I purchased another satellite that I want to add to this system. I bought mine used on eBay. I see that you can buy them new on Amazon.

I can't find anything on how to add the satellite by searching Google. In my case, I configured the mesh system in bridge mode (the router is plugged into my ethernet switch.) I couldn't find any instructions for that either, and of course the app is useless if that is what you want to do.

After playing around, I managed to get the new satellite connected to my system by connecting it by ethernet cable to one of the satellites and hitting sync on the new satellite. That gives me a solid line in the app network map. When I unplug the cable, the new satellite no longer has an IP, it is not connected by wifi to the router. This is, of course, how I want to use it, as a wireless satellite.

Why is this so hard? How do you connect up another satellite to an existing mesh system?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What model mesh system do you have? 

What satellite model are you trying to connect?

Message 2 of 8
MTUser2013
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

What model mesh system do you have? The router says MR60 on the bottom

What satellite model are you trying to connect? The new satellite says MS60 on the bottom.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 8
MTUser2013
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

here's the install guide for the mk system

How do I install my NETGEAR Mesh WiFi 6 System? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I've tried this several times. The satellite is within 3 feet of the router.  The light stays orange. I see a pin hole and the label reset. Can that help solve this problem?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Maybe amber?

is it solid/pulsing? 

Is it just the satellite with the issue? 

Do you know what firmware is on the router and what one is on the satellite? 

if the satellite doesn't connect to the router, you should be able to hardwire a pc/laptop into the ethernet port on the satellite. Then use 192.168.1.250 to connect to it (default address if not connected). that'd let you check firmware/upgrade it if needed. 

you can find manuals, firmeware here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk62.aspx

Message 6 of 8
MTUser2013
Tutor

Please below for the inline answers
@plemans wrote:

Maybe amber? Yes

is it solid/pulsing? Solid

Is it just the satellite with the issue? Yes, the new one I am try to add.

Do you know what firmware is on the router and what one is on the satellite? No. How would I find out? Disconnect it and plug in a cable and do below like for the satellite?

if the satellite doesn't connect to the router, you should be able to hardwire a pc/laptop into the ethernet port on the satellite. Then use 192.168.1.250 to connect to it (default address if not connected). that'd let you check firmware/upgrade it if needed. 

you can find manuals, firmeware here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk62.aspx

OK. I will check on the firmware and see if it needs upgraded. I note you

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

let me know how it goes!

Never played with the nighthawk mesh system but it should be fairly similar to orbi

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7